Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevewk

join:2011-10-05
Kanata, ON

1 edit

[Cable] Cancelling Rogers Cable TV while on Teksavvy Cable Inter

So I'm coming up on the end of my Rogers Cable TV subscription while on TSI for Internet. For the ppl who have done this in the past and had their cable connection completely disconnected (requiring a tech to reconnect it), how long after the Rogers TV cancellation taking effect did the eventual complete cable disconnection occur?

In my case when the tech showed up to set up my TSI cable internet, he had been tinkering with the box outside but realized when he got in that I already had Rogers TV. I'm hoping that because of that he made sure to mark my cable drop as TPIA and it doesn't get completely disconnected but I can't be certain.

I'm just about to activate my 3 month Bell Grab-N-Go DSL kit from Dell for $7.99 so I have a backup in place, but I was just curious to know the general timing of the complete cable disconnection following a Rogers TV cancellation so I can get my TSI cable internet back up and running ASAP if Rogers pulls the plug on everything.

Thanks,
-stevewk

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

Re: [Cable] Cancelling Rogers Cable TV while on Teksavvy Cable I

It was about a month after my last day of cable that they disconnected my internet.

Hope that helps.

--Steve

stevewk

Kanata, ON

Thanks for the heads up! How long after calling it in did you get the connection restored?

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON

2 long agonizing days.

Nic

@teksavvy.com
reply to stevewk

Two weeks and they disconnected my internet cable, three days to get my internet back.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to stevewk

There has been known issues with this. All we suggest is you tell them you are on TPIA Internet to lessen the chances of this happening.

If it does occur, message us right away in the direct forumhttp://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect with your signal levels and modem stats, the light pattern on your modem, and 3 dates and time frames (8-11,11-2,2-5, 5-8) two business days out from the day you message us and we will submit something off right away.
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

stevewk

Kanata, ON

Rogers Retention Agent: "Sorry, we have nothing to do with that on this end and there's nothing I can add to your cancellation request regarding your TPIA Internet connection. We'll be sending out a tech to put a filter on the cable connection for TV but we won't be physically disconnecting anything. You should follow up with your TPIA provider regarding this."

Does anyone know from a technical standpoint whether the installation of this filter is what kills our TPIA Internet?

Looks like I'm going to fire up this Dell/Bell Grab N Go kit for the next 3 months just in case...I'll be sure to open a ticket if/when Rogers comes by.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by stevewk:

Does anyone know from a technical standpoint whether the installation of this filter is what kills our TPIA Internet?

It's not. The filter is the correct thing for them to be doing.

The problem comes with the policy of physically disconnecting the cable if there are no (known) active services on the line.

stevewk

Kanata, ON

said by bt:

said by stevewk:

It's not. The filter is the correct thing for them to be doing.

The problem comes with the policy of physically disconnecting the cable if there are no (known) active services on the line.

Interesting...the agent was adamant that they "never" physically disconnect anything, just apply a filter if services are cancelled.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to stevewk

said by stevewk:

If they installed the correct filter and wired things properly, the only thing that should be blocked is analog TV.

Digital TV is managed by DRM while DOCSIS modems are managed with BPI+ authentication so there is no need for filters to block digital services.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to stevewk

When they disconnected me, they didn't physically disconnect the wire. They simply installed the 'wrong' filter. Instead of just blocking TV, they also blocked internet.

I told the service rep that I had TPIA internet, but she didn't know what that meant.

I think we need the CRTC to intervene. At this point there is no way to not get disconnected, unless you're lucky enough to get a tech that checks first.

--Steve

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSILiz

said by TSILiz:

There has been known issues with this. All we suggest is you tell them you are on TPIA Internet to lessen the chances of this happening.

If it does occur, message us right away in the direct forumhttp://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect with your signal levels and modem stats, the light pattern on your modem, and 3 dates and time frames (8-11,11-2,2-5, 5-8) two business days out from the day you message us and we will submit something off right away.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but if their internet gets chopped off, how are they supposed to get to the forum? lawlz

In the absence of that, it may be better to call 1-877-779-1575 should this occur to have TSI handle the situation.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to stevewk

said by MrMazda86:

said by TSILiz:

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but if their internet gets chopped off, how are they supposed to get to the forum? lawlz

In the absence of that, it may be better to call 1-877-779-1575 should this occur to have TSI handle the situation.

I understand what you're saying, however many, many people message us within the forum when they are offline with their Teksavvy connection. You are correct if they can't reach us that way we are also available via phone as well. We try to be as reachable as possible.
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

Ah... True enough.

stevewk

Kanata, ON

That's actually a valid point. I personally don't have any other immediate means of connecting to the Internet when it goes down (ie. mobile data plan, open neighbourhood wifi). When I tried to call in, I was on hold for longer than I was willing to wait likely due to other customers calling in for the same outage all at the same time. If you can get to the forum, the response time is definitely faster...but the problem is getting to the forum if you don't have a mobile data plan.

In the past, I've had to collect all of the pre-canned "ping/traceroute/modem" logs, go to a family member's house to post everything to the direct forum, then use my reliable landline to ask a family member to correspond back and forth with TSI on my behalf. In the time it took for all the back and forth, the issue eventually resolved itself with Rogers maintenance being blamed as the likely cause. I understand that TSI's hands are tied in these situations but in the end that is the realistic user experience TSI customers go through whenever something goes wrong.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by stevewk:

If they installed the correct filter and wired things properly, the only thing that should be blocked is analog TV.

Digital TV is managed by DRM while DOCSIS modems are managed with BPI+ authentication so there is no need for filters to block digital services.

This almost never happens in that case because nearly everyone who cancels Rogers TV (last service with them) gets their internet disconnect....I guess the very few who don't, get their lines filtered by a tech who actually knows what they are doing....

Also, I will be doing this in the near future so it sounds like I'll be out of internet for 24-48 hours as well, but I will try very hard to make a point about it to the Rogers retention person I get...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

stevewk

Kanata, ON

So as of this morning, the day after my effective cable cancellation date, my set top boxes were no longer authorized to boot, however the analog cable channels were coming through. By the time I got home after work, my analog channels were being filtered and my TSI connection was still intact. If a tech did come out to install a filter today, it would appear the tech who came out to setup my TSI internet and wasn't aware at the time I had Rogers Cable TV might have marked my line as TPIA after all. I've still got Bell coming to dry loop a DSL connection for me via Dell's 3 month Grab N Go starter kit just in case though. Thanks for all the info.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to stevewk

Seems like you were lucky enough to get one of the few techs which understand the technology enough to apply the right kind of filter to the line

Lucky you.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

videonerd

join:2007-01-21

Good work Rogers tech.

My POTS line got disconnected when I moved from Teksavvy DSL to cable (5 days w/o phone) ... first Rogers subcontracted guy had no clue what he was doing. I have a patch panel labelled "Rogers IN" "Bell IN" ... he was about to cut the cable behind my patch panel!!!! Good thing I supervised him then quickly ushered him out. Power levels were all wrong, a few days later the 2nd tech fixed everything and said thanks for easy access and labelling.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to stevewk

I will give you a few common scenarios what happens when a technician comes to your house.

1. You have cable tv & internet with rogers & teksavvy cable (because you are not sure if you wanted to cancel rogers). All three cables connect inside your house through splitters and connect outside and the one cable is labeled (one cable to grey box).
2. You have cable tv & internet with teksavvy. Each service is on a seperate cable (3 cables to grey box). The teksavvy cable is labeled in the grey box and has a filter installed as per spec.

Heres what happens.
Scenario 1a. You call in to cancel just your cable tv, you are keeping rogers internet for a while. A tech comes out to install a filter to block cable tv service for the whole house.
Scenario 1b. You now call in to cancel your rogers internet because you have decided teksavvy is for you. A technician rolls out and disconnects the cable in the grey box, effectively disconnecting everything in the whole house (because there's only one cable).
Scenario 2a. You call in to cancel just your cable tv you are keeping rogers internet for a while. A tech comes out and installs a second filter blocking all cable tv services for the rogers lines, he leaves the other one alone.
Scenario 2b. You now call in to cancel your rogers internet because you have decided teksavvy is for you. A technician rolls out and disconnects the cable in the grey box, disconnecting only your cable tv and internet service, leaving the correctly labeled tpia service intact (on it's own cable) and functioning.
Scenario 2c. (this one's the doozy) Alternate to 2b. Call in to cancel internet after deciding teksavvy = AOK. Technician disregards tpia tag and seperate cable and disconnects the the whole house because he's incompetent.

There are many other scenarios but morale of the story is, it's best to have a seperate cable or a new cable installed dedicated for your teksavvy cable internet service so when that day comes you'll be fine. 99% of the time you won't get disconnected or impacted in this scenario.
--
Hello