spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

justmeee

join:2013-02-11
Los Angeles, CA

New here ... can I please get a little comcast DVR advice?

Hello all, 1st time here and I had a quick question. I currently have had the same comcast DVR for the last 4 years ... a Motorola DCT6412. Comcast is trying to talk me into going with their new Xfinity X1 box. It would be just the cost of installation. I've been reading online that the X1 platform is to put it kindly, a "piece of junk". So I'm curious to know....

1. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with it?
2. Is there a better DVR that comcast has to offer than the one I have now? (It has to have HD, 5.1 and HDMI ... and play nicely with a Harmony 1 remote.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to justmeee
You are on a way old box. The next step up is the DCX3400, but since you have the X1 available, get that. Or a TiVo or MCE box, which will be a lot better than anything Comcast comes up with.

justmeee

Los Angeles, CA
I actually had the cable guy out to upgrade to the X1 but after reading a lot of reviews on various forums and talking to him in detail, I passed. He really gave me an earful and said it's got lots of problems. As a matter of fact, he said that he actually has it and was sorry he upgraded and then gave me a list of problems he's had. The DCX3400 looks like the way to go.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
said by justmeee:

I actually had the cable guy out to upgrade to the X1 but after reading a lot of reviews on various forums and talking to him in detail, I passed. He really gave me an earful and said it's got lots of problems. As a matter of fact, he said that he actually has it and was sorry he upgraded and then gave me a list of problems he's had.

Ah yes, the JOYS of being the first beta-testers; sorry, but i have NO desire to do this - this applies to ANY provider, be it CC, DISH, DirecTV, etc. - this sort of thing ALWAYS happens with the "latest thing"...

The DCX3400 looks like the way to go.

Actually, the DCX3501 would be the better way to go, assuming they are available in the OP's area - I've had one for almost 9 months now...

BiggA

EARTH
Interesting, I've never heard of a DCX3501... the best we have here (on the Moto systems) are the DCX3400.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
said by BiggA:

Interesting, I've never heard of a DCX3501... the best we have here (on the Moto systems) are the DCX3400.

It's the successor the DCX 3400, it's pretty similar, basically just a newer revision that offers lower power consumption and a 500GB hard drive standard. It's used by Comcast exclusively for AnyRoom deployments. It's also rebranded as the "RNG200N" by Comcast.
»Motorola DCX-3400 vs. DCX-3501?

dishrich

Springfield, IL
said by SpHeRe31459:

It's used by Comcast exclusively for AnyRoom deployments.

NOT necessarily; I do NOT, & have never had AnyRoom...

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD
Also, the DCX3501 is capable of upscaling all content to 1080p (and has a very good upscaler). I have the DCX3501 without Anyroom. I my area the price for the DVR just increased to $17.99 and Anyroom remained at $19.99.

justmeee

Los Angeles, CA
reply to SpHeRe31459
Are you sure that the DCX3501 and the RNG200N are the same boxes? A quick search online shows that one is made by Cisco and the other by Moto .... and they look totally different.

I'm going to try and grab a DCX3501 from Comcast today.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by justmeee:

Are you sure that the DCX3501 and the RNG200N are the same boxes? A quick search online shows that one is made by Cisco and the other by Moto .... and they look totally different.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing, but there are different boxes for use in each of Comcast's separate SA/Cisco and Motorola equipped systems that are similarly designated as "RNG200N" units.

"RNG" is Comcast's specification for "Residential Network Gateway" boxes (see: »www.lightreading.com/iptv/comcas···40115762).

The Motorola DCX3501 is labeled as an "RNG200N" by Comcast on its front panel, but it does show "DCX3501" on a label on it (on the back or bottom of the unit).

dishrich

Springfield, IL
Correct; mine is labeled RNG200N on the front, but has the normal Moto DCX3501 label on the bottom - WHY CC decided to make these things MORE confusing...who knows???

I actually got one of these dropped shipped to me as part of my self-install upgrade - I was in SHOCK I lucked out getting one of these like this!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
dishrich, but what does it LOOK like?

An RNG200N or a DCX3501? I know you said what the label says... but I mean the whole unit (front lcd, buttons if any, size, etc..).

They are kinda doing like what DirecTV is doing...

Calling various manufacturers to build a box based on a "specification". The inside may look a little different as it's built by someone else... but the outside is the same shell DirecTV designed. In this case replace DirecTV with Comcast.

Ie) HR24-200 is made by Samsung while an HR24-500 is made by Humax.

So an RNG-200N is a different spec than a RNG-150N.

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to dishrich
Comcast apparently like to confuse people - they are using the RNG200 designation to represent a class of boxes that have the same functionality.

BiggA

EARTH
That's really weird. I've always known the RNG series to be Sci Atlanta (Cisco).

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

I actually got one of these dropped shipped to me as part of my self-install upgrade - I was in SHOCK I lucked out getting one of these like this!

Nice! Yeah my wording of "exclusive" should have been in quotes. Because I've seen other people get them, but the DCX35001's are normally held for AnyRoomDVR customers. People just asking for a DVR often get a DCH 34xx or a DCX 3400.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

That's really weird. I've always known the RNG series to be Sci Atlanta (Cisco).

That's the markets where Comcast first started using the nomenclature, but as PaulGo correctly stated, Comcast has started to rebrand different boxes from different vendors that meet a certain criteria, as various product levels of "Residential Network Gateways" (RNG).

In Motorola markets, they have been relabeling Motorola DCX 3200M-P2's as RNG150N's and have had Pace branded RNG110's for a few years now.

said by cypherstream:

AFAIK, it is the same chassis as other Motorola DCX series DVRs (i.e. DCX-3400). It just has an RNG200N sticker slapped on the front.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to cypherstream
Click for full size
Cisco RNG200N
Click for full size
Motorola RNG200N
said by cypherstream:

An RNG200N or a DCX3501? I know you said what the label says... but I mean the whole unit (front lcd, buttons if any, size, etc..).

Above are some photos I found of both RNG200N units.

dishrich

Springfield, IL
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

It looks EXACTLY like the 2nd photo of the Moto DVR that telcodad posted above - I GUARANTEE you would NEVER see a DCX3501 label on the bottom of a Cisco box, as that is a model# used ONLY by Moto themselves. (likewise with a bottom Cisco sticker model# on the bottom of a Moto box)

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Interesting. I thought they were going to put them in the same plastic shell. Something similar to the pace rng110.

But they are not interchangeable unless simulcrypt is setup. I guess they would also need 2 controllers and all associated hardware (Moto DAC and SA DNCS).

dishrich

Springfield, IL
said by cypherstream:

Interesting. I thought they were going to put them in the same plastic shell. Something similar to the pace rng110.

But think about it...why WOULD Moto be using the SAME shell as a Cisco made box, & visa versa???

While each of these Moto (& Cisco) bear the "Xfinity" name on the front, they are STILL Moto & Cisco made boxes throughout; it just so happens that CC contracted thru both Moto & Cisco to make "Xfinity-branded specific" boxes for CC exclusively.

Now Pace OTOH...since Pace makes BOTH Moto & Cisco compatible boxes themselves, that's why THEIR shells are the same for boxes for boxes for BOTH systems...see the difference???

BiggA

EARTH
reply to telcodad
Weird. So how'd Comcast get suckered into using Sci Atlanta's naming system when they use mostly Moto hardware? It's just bizarre...

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by cypherstream:

But think about it...why WOULD Moto be using the SAME shell as a Cisco made box, & visa versa???

Same way a directv box from pace looks identical to Samsung or humax, technicolor, etc..

I thought Comcast contracted the manufacturers with their specs. Like here are the dimentions, here is the case and this is the port output, design a motherboard that fits this shell and can run this software with these specs....

The Comcast RNG110 looks IDENTICAL to the Pace HD box Service Electric Cablevision issues.

I think the RNG specification means its powerful enough to run X1 and can do IPTV if software is written to do so.

They should of also mandated that all RNG set tops were interchangeable regardless of what the backend system is.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to BiggA
As was mentioned before, the "RNG" designations are a Comcast labeling scheme with respect to their Residential Network Gateway specification.

I guess when Cisco then built their new line of STBs/DVRs they just used the corresponding RNG numbers as their own model numbers.

Motorola just stuck to their DCX naming scheme, with the units built for Comcast just displaying the appropriate RNG numbers on their front panels.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

They should of also mandated that all RNG set tops were interchangeable regardless of what the backend system is.

Indeed. In fact I keep wondering why this isn't possible since all the boxes made since the mid-2000's have separable security (i.e. CableCARDs). So theoretically all the boxes should just be a CableCARD swap from working in SA or Moto markets. Of course the other hurdle is the software base which I think was the real issue. The Moto markets were all on iGuide while SA/Cisco had been on SARA, until recently there was no iGuide port available.

I assume with the eventual move to the X1 Guide software, all boxes with an RNG designation are supposed to be up to standards for the X1 software. Eventually eliminating the Cisco/Moto vendor split.

said by telcodad:

I guess when Cisco then built their new line of STBs/DVRs they just used the corresponding RNG numbers as their own model numbers.

Looks like Pace has also followed suit and have started using Comcast's naming scheme for their boxes regardless of MSO.
»www.pace.com/americas/products/s···rng150n/
»www.pace.com/americas/products/s···rng200n/
»www.pace.com/americas/products/s···/rng110/

justmeee

Los Angeles, CA
reply to justmeee
The model I ended up getting was the MOR200BNR. I guess it's the RNG110 .... looks exactly the same. It's a big step up from the DCT6412. I'm really happy with it so far.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to SpHeRe31459
Sphere you beat me to it! I ended up also seeing the RNG model numbers at Pace Americas. Weird how they all look different but have the same model number. That's like say a few cars called Focus... The Ford Focus, the Chevy Focus and the Toyota Focus (hypothetical of course). 3 manufacturers, different looks but same name!

I wonder what kind of agreement between manufacturers allows them to reuse the same model name without getting happy with lawsuits? I can tell you this... If Chevy made a "Focus" Ford wouldn't be too happy!

How big is the hard drive in the Motorola version of the RNG200N or as the op posted MOR200BNR ?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to justmeee
said by justmeee:

The model I ended up getting was the MOR200BNR. I guess it's the RNG110 .... looks exactly the same. It's a big step up from the DCT6412. I'm really happy with it so far.

Can't be an RNG110, that's a smallish non-DVR model made by Pace.

Googling "MOR200BNR" shows this page at Comcast
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···eue-stb/
which confirms it's a Motorloa DCX 3501M. Which I assume can be inferred by the "MOR" prefix of the model number.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
And that Cisco RNG200 on that page is identical to the Cisco 8652HDC that my inlaws have with Blue Ridge Cable.

»www.cisco.com/web/consumer/suppo···HDC.html

It runs Passport Echo on their system. Not a bad piece of hardware. Fast channel changes and pretty snappy UI.

By the way, that link shows a feature called Queue. Is that live now?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
OK, well looking around on that Cisco consumer products website, it appears that there are non-Comcast, "Explorer-numbered" versions of the other Cisco RNG boxes also:

Cisco Next Generation Cable Set-Top Boxes At-A-Glance
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···-AAG.pdf