Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36

Re: "Sub Accounts"

Hello Wideglide,

Some posters already have explained properly just to add to the topic:

Let's say you have a VoIP Adapter on your desk, will call it Adapter 1.

I'll use VoIP.ms as the provider in this scenario. When you create an account with us, you've a default "username" and "password" set. You use this username and password to configure your Adapter 1. When your Adapter 1 connects to our servers, it uses this username and password to identify you, and create a "registration". The registration is various information that tells our servers how to reach your Adapter 1 when someone calls you.

Now, let's say you want to add a second VoIP adapter in the house (Adapter 2), you can't use the same username and password, because each VoIP adapter can't share the same Username and Password for incoming calls. They will fight "each other" registration. One will register and "steal" the information from the other. In our system, we'll have the information from only one of your Adapter.

This where "Sub accounts" come into play.

You can create an additional sub account. The subaccount will have a different username and you can choose a distinct password if want to. You can now configure "Adapter 2" with this new username and password. Each device will be recognized as different and independant entities in our system.

Now you could create a Ring Group, and configure your DID Phone Number to ring Adapter 1 and Adapter 2. Or you could have one phone number ring Adapter 1 and another ring Adapter 2. There's a LOT of possibilities.

To make it short, sub accounts are like additional username/password sets within the same account.

For example in my home:

I've 4 IP Phones, 1 use the main account credentials, the 3 others use sub accounts. (Bedroom, Living Room, Kitchen, Computer room)

One could argue that you could use a wireless base with satellites for this but all phones would share the same line. That's a question of personal preference.

Additionally, I use another sub account to register my VoIP soft phone on my Laptop computer. This is a virtual VoIP Phone. I also have another sub account I use on my Iphone to register a VoIP phone App (BRIA).

I also have another sub account for my VoIP adapter on my desk at work.

I then configure my DID Number to ring all these subaccounts (and main account) when there's an incoming call. I also prevent a different phone number I have (My business phone) from ringing my Home Phones after specific time.

You could get fancy and add time conditions, and IVR (Press 1 to talk to mom) but I don't want to add to the complexity for now.

Hope this help.
wideglide36
join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

Hello, and thanks Martin for that helpful reply.

That clears it up a little more. I think.

I really need to do some more homework and figure this stuff out for myself.

All the different voip reps have been very helpful along with the great posters on here who also take the time to help.

Thanks guys.

One of these days I might just figure this stuff out.

Of course by then voip will be old technology and I'll have to learn something else.

Gotta love technology..........