Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

contra21

join:2002-06-12
Theodore, AL

2 edits

[AL] New Service: Asked for Social Security CARD

I went today to sign up for new service at the office located at 36582 zip code and after presenting my drivers license was asked by "Sherry" for my social security card, not my ss number but my card. Really?? Is this standard procedure to have to present my ss card? I didn't have it with me nor did I give her my ss#. Anyone else have this happen to them?:

Edit: I just ordered service over the phone at 855-477-4847 and my drivers license number was sufficient. I was never asked for my ss number. I was really floored by the request and almost didn't order at all.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

In order to sign up for service, our representatives are required to ask for either your drivers license or your Social Security Number. The only reason you would be asked for the card itself is to verify that the correct number is being put on the account.

contra21

join:2002-06-12
Theodore, AL
reply to contra21

I was asked for my social security card, not my ss number, while "Sherry" had my drivers license in her hand. I was told she required both to sign up for service and was turned away.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to contra21

said by contra21:

I went today to sign up for new service at the office located at 36582 zip code and after presenting my drivers license was asked by "Sherry" for my social security card, not my ss number but my card. Really?? Is this standard procedure to have to present my ss card? I didn't have it with me nor did I give her my ss#. Anyone else have this happen to them?:

Edit: I just ordered service over the phone at 855-477-4847 and my drivers license number was sufficient. I was never asked for my ss number. I was really floored by the request and almost didn't order at all.

I'm disturbed by the fact that your social security card was asked for for something like this. I can understand for government services, but otherwise I've always been told never to carry my card with me. Many people do, but they shouldn't. I'm glad you were able to sign up over the phone without it.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

Mediacom is increasing identity checks to prevent identity fraud. Including service calls so you will need to be home as an account holder or have a copy of your driver's license printed on a piece of paper with a written statement authorizing the person that is home to represent you.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by Anonymous:

Mediacom is increasing identity checks to prevent identity fraud. Including service calls so you will need to be home as an account holder or have a copy of your driver's license printed on a piece of paper with a written statement authorizing the person that is home to represent you.

Well, that's good to know, since the account holder for our house is currently in a nursing home recovering from surgery. Hoping I don't need any work done while that's the case, because it would be a pain to get those things on short notice.
--

Riverpilot

join:2006-12-11
Davenport, IA

1 recommendation

reply to contra21

I certainly hope they increase security going the other way as well. The last 3 times I've had a tech come out they didn't have their mediacom ID. In this age, if you don't have an ID saying you are who you are, you don't get the door opened.

A bit over the top? Perhaps.. but just because you drive up in a van with mediacom on the side doesn't mean crap.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

I don't know about that, you expect a tech and he calls you ahead, shows up with Mediacom van and a Mediacom shirt. I was only asked once to show ID. Since then I lost it.

If I get a job where someone is insisting on showing my ID I guess they would have to reschedule.
--

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to danawhitaker

This policy has been around for a while and few others too. Only recently Mediacom started enforcing this. The biggest problem with this policy is customers are NEVER told about it so I don't want to be a jerk and make someone reschedule due to not doing something they had no idea was required.
--

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

yeah, no, social security card is in my lock box, there is absolutly no reason what so ever a private company has a legal right to that card, period. its only purpose was meant for tax i.d. its corporations that have pushed for it to be used for other items.

so tell me, if i carry that card with me, and it gets lost on the way to, or from, mediacoms office and its then used for identity theft. mediacom going to pay to mediate that? of course not.

you get my state issued photo i.d. not good enough? too bad, because in order to GET that i.d. i had to show birth certificate and social security card as well as proof of residence. that i.d. is all you need.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by thedragonmas:

said by Anonymous:

yeah, no, social security card is in my lock box, there is absolutly no reason what so ever a private company has a legal right to that card, period. its only purpose was meant for tax i.d. its corporations that have pushed for it to be used for other items.

so tell me, if i carry that card with me, and it gets lost on the way to, or from, mediacoms office and its then used for identity theft. mediacom going to pay to mediate that? of course not.

you get my state issued photo i.d. not good enough? too bad, because in order to GET that i.d. i had to show birth certificate and social security card as well as proof of residence. that i.d. is all you need.

They actually have every legal right to ask and require that card. If it's part of their "security" policy asking for the SS card is not illegal.

I find it amazing people would rather complain than do something that in the long run will benefit them. Amazing.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

I don't object to giving out the number. I've had it memorized since college. I object to taking the card with me for purposes that aren't related to the government, especially in cases where you can show another document that a social security card was required to obtain in the first place (if it's for identification only).

The state of California apparently doesn't even require you to show your card unless you're applying for a commercial driver's license. It's acceptable simply to give the number. So yeah, if the government can get by without it for the purposes of giving me a standard driver's license, I'm going to take a huge leap and say Mediacom doesn't need to see the card either.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
reply to CappinHoff

said by CappinHoff:

I find it amazing people would rather complain than do something that in the long run will benefit them. Amazing.

I can get a credit card without showing/faxing my SS card. I'm infinitely more worried about credit fraud in my name than cable service fraud in my name. It's unnecessary and a nuisance, period.

diggerg56

join:2008-03-18
Iowa City, IA

Everything I've ever read on identity theft protection says to never carry your SS card with you.

Splainittome

@cox.net
reply to contra21

As it says on the back of your SS card (Do not share your SS number with anyone but the SS Administration, this is your Tax ID number)

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to contra21

Just FYI:
From the SSA website (»ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers···number):

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your Social Security number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your Social Security number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by vircotto:

Just FYI:

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your Social Security number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your Social Security number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

And while that's quite true, the crux of the debate in this thread lies over whether they can ask you to present the card itself. The Mediacom office in Des Moines isn't in an area of town where I'd want to be carrying my social security card.

It's also interesting that it doesn't appear to be a consistent policy - the OP was able to order service over the phone without even providing the number at all.
--

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by danawhitaker:

said by vircotto:

Just FYI:

And while that's quite true, the crux of the debate in this thread lies over whether they can ask you to present the card itself. The Mediacom office in Des Moines isn't in an area of town where I'd want to be carrying my social security card.

It's also interesting that it doesn't appear to be a consistent policy - the OP was able to order service over the phone without even providing the number at all.

emphasis added.

bingo! i understand they need to do a credit check for service, and im willing to hand over my SSN to do that. but NOT the card! i have had that card since i was a child, never replaced hell its starting to fall apart so they probably wouldnt even accept it. and as pointed out showing that SS card is required to get a state issued I.D. card here in georgia (GA i.d. requirements:). so if im showing you my photo i.d. issued by this state you KNOW i had to show that card, birth cert, and proof of address (power bill or lease) to even get the card in the first place. my verbally given ssn is good enough for a credit check.

said by CappinHoff:

They actually have every legal right to ask and require that card. If it's part of their "security" policy asking for the SS card is not illegal.

and having some one steal my identity (say, a mediacom employee, or the card falls out of the wallet as your putting it back in in the office. etc) because mediacom requires a piece of paper when a state issued i.d. is good enough benefits me how exactly? it may not be illegal for a private business to demand a piece of paper thats supposed to be used for government purposes only, but it darn well should be considering the pure hell a person would go through if it was stolen and used for identity theft.
Expand your moderator at work