uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

[WIN7] How do we tell if windows defender is "ON" in Win7?

I've found an entry for Windows Defender in the Control Panel of Windows 7, but don't know how to tell if that feature is ON or OFF.

When I click on the Windows Defender mini icon in Control Panel it brings up a window showing the date of the last update. That was the date in 2012 when this version of W7 was installed. Obviously, it wants updated definitions, but I can't find a window to set Windows Defenders set up options such as what to check and when and what to ignore.

One thing that is happening is that Firefox on this build is scanning all downloads for viruses prior to downloading them. Is that a Firefox feature or is it now part of Windows 7?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Re: [WIN7] How do we tell if windows defender is "ON"

Well, when I click on Control Panel -> Windows Defender, it tells me "this program is off".

Which is as it should be, because it's been superseded by Microsoft Security Essentials. You should probably upgrade.

But if you want to use Windows Defender, type "keep Windows Defender definitions up to date" (no quotes) into the Help&Support app.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Gem

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
Since I rebuilt my system back on 01/15/2013, I figured I would go check out what kind of status Windows Defender is for me.

When I went into Control Panel, and then changed the view from Category to Large Icons, I found the icon for "Windows Defender". Clicking on it gives me what is shown above in Picture #1. As you can see, its clearly running (last scan was this morning at 5:29 AM), and my virus def's file is from 01/31/2013.

I then went and did a check for updates (I have my settings to never check, I will do it myself). Sure enough, I have an updated definition file for Windows Defender from 02/08/2013. See Picture #2.

So my question then is in reference to what dave See Profile said above.

said by dave:

Which is as it should be, because it's been superseded by Microsoft Security Essentials. You should probably upgrade.

I would have thought that during my install of Windows back on 01/15/2013, I would have been offered Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows Update, to replace Windows Defender. Not to mention, should something be displayed when it runs or comes up to alert me to this? Or, are they both "allowed" to run at this point in time? Finally, if it has been superseded, why is Microsoft still issuing updates to it?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to Gem

Best answer I could find to this confusing issue:

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot···db9ab9fd

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

I would have thought that during my install of Windows back on 01/15/2013, I would have been offered Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows Update, to replace Windows Defender.

Apparently not.

Not to mention, should something be displayed when it runs or comes up to alert me to this?

Apparently not.

Or, are they both "allowed" to run at this point in time?

No. Installation of Security Essentials turns off Defender.

Finally, if it has been superseded, why is Microsoft still issuing updates to it?

Because something that ships with the OS gets supported as long as the OS?

Don't ask me to explain or defend Microsoft's confusing anti-malware policy, because I can't. If I had to guess, it comes down to internal politics or something.

Maybe Wikipedia will do a better job:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by dave:

Don't ask me to explain or defend Microsoft's confusing anti-malware policy, because I can't. If I had to guess, it comes down to internal politics or something.

I was just asking as I thought I missed something is all. From the links that both you and aguen See Profile posted, it appears that a new product came out (Microsoft Security Essentials), and it is up to the end user to install that, which will disable / remove Windows Defender.

Knowing that is how it appears its suppose to work, I agree with what you said about Microsoft not able to stop issuing updates for something that, as you said, is part of the OS. Unless Microsoft did some kind of automatic replacement (which, as we know with upgrades to IE, is still very hard to get 100% of the people to a new version), they have to continue to offer updates until the OS is no longer supported.

Again, I thought I missed something, or was not offered Microsoft Security Essentials from Windows Update (looks like it worked the way it was suppose to).

Really for me its a non-issue, as I run McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise on my system. But, in trying to help troubleshoot the issue the OP had, I decided to see how Windows Defender was operating on my own system, which then lead to the questions I had, based on your reply.

Thanks for all the information!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to aguen

quote:
Best answer I could find to this confusing issue
It's not confusing ,it's assinine,and only Microsoft would pull such an idiotic stunt .

WD is an absolutely useless app and can and should be disabled in W7.

So what does does this moronic company do...........they rename MSE to Windows Defender in W8!!!!!

Who are the braindead geniuses that come out with these clueless ideas?
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

said by ZZZZZZZ:

quote:
Best answer I could find to this confusing issue
So what does does this moronic company do...........they rename MSE to Windows Defender in W8!!!!!

Who are the braindead geniuses that come out with these clueless ideas?

Somebody that (unfortunately) is making more $$$ than you or I.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ZZZZZZZ

"Windows Defender" is actually a name with a little more pizazz than "Microsoft Security Essentials", so I suppose if they're going to pick one name, they picked the better one.

But why the ^!%@ was there ever a "Microsoft Security Essentials" as a separate thing in Windows 7 anyway? Why not just slide in the same stuff but call it an upgrade to Windows Defender?

Like someone said, it's obviously above my pay grade...

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA

Can someone tell me what the difference is between WD and MSE? I have Defender and after reading this I went to the MS site looked under "Product Info" and it told me absolutely nothing about what MSE does... other than "protect me".

I use Avast, a software firewall and a router. Is it safe to say I don't need MSE? TIA....

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

Up through Windows 7, Defender is anti-spyware. Security Essentials is more broadbased: anti-virus, -spyware, -rootkit, and -trojan.

See the Wikipedia link I posted earlier.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

I was really off base. I thought Defender was just a one way firewall. I haven't had Win7 very long.

Thanks, Dave... I forgot about that Wiki link.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

The firewall is called "the firewall"

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

LOL!!! As you can tell, I've had too many other problems moving from XP to Win7 to spend much time looking at stuff that is working.

Besides, why should I expect the firewall to be called something so logical?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Gem

said by Gem:

One thing that is happening is that Firefox on this build is scanning all downloads for viruses prior to downloading them. Is that a Firefox feature or is it now part of Windows 7?

That is a firefox "feature." Internet Explorer also has that "feature."

It slows down your computer and blocks access to recently downloaded files for a good 3+ seconds. It's not needed if you have anti-virus software installed.
--
PRescott7-2097