spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sammy12

join:2013-02-11

[AB] Telus Imap Mail Server Disconnects Continually

Hi over last few months my imap mail program with Thunderbird and Outlook has been disconnecting from the Telus server or it will not connect. It seems to work better in early morning when I imagine there are less people using the service. I've talked to a tech twice and they appear to be aware of problem and say that they are updating mail server but they don't really know when. Does anyone have any idea when this may occur. They also advised switching to POP but then my mail wouldn't be synced with my other computers. Anybody have any more knowledge or recommend a solution...thanks sammy

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

I've posted about this quite a few times. Supposedly, telus is in the process of upgrading their servers to alleviate this problem. So far, I see no signs of any improvement. In fact, it's getting worse, irrespective of whether you are using webmail or an email client program. I notice this problem even when opening my inbox using the webmail. It's pretty pathetic, considering that the rest of the world figured out how to do email 20 years ago. The Telus email infrastructure must be 3rd world.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to sammy12

Without the error messages you receive it's hard to identify. Are you using both Thunderbird and Outlook or multiple devices to connect to the same email account? The server can limit the number of simultaneous connections to the same email account to ONE thus blocking all other connections.

sammy12

in Thunderbird it says Login to server imap.telus.net failed. and then option to retry, enter password. Outlook says "synchronizing subscribed folder for*****@telus.net reported error0x800cc0e Error cannot connect to server. If you continue to receive this message contact your server admin or internet service provider

I never am attempting to connect more than one device at a time to get email. I just mentioned both Thunderbird and Outlook to show it wasn't one program having difficulty. I have two computers and a tablet

The techs I've talked to at Telus acknowledge the problem, the question is when will it be fixed

nss_tech

Edmonton AB

That problem has been there for years and the managers know about it. I've even brought it to their attention a number of times. Don't expect a rapid fix though. Email is a very very low priority for them. The agents only acknowledge the problem in order to limit the number of questions you'll ask them.

The login failed error is one that will appear if another device is connected already. Do you ever fully power down your tablet or have it set to kill its network connection when asleep? Do you have a cell phone that connects to that email account also? Mail clients set for IMAP sometimes try to keep a constant connection to the server so as to notify instantly if new email arrives. That constant connection is what blocks the other devices from connecting.

Most of the Tier 1 agents I've dealt with aren't properly trained on how to get multiple devices to connect to IMAP. Extremely few of them are trained to any extent on mobile devices. Some mobile devices like iPhone/iPad can be set to not keep an active connection to the server and to connect every X# of minutes. Having Push Data turned off helps also. I don't know about Android mail apps (besides Gmail). They may have similar settings. Barring that, try Gmail. It just works with multiple devices.

sammy12

I am using an android tablet alongside my two computers. The android only has gmail but I always power it down when not in use, the two computers are rarely on together and this problem of disconnecting or not connecting happens continually so it's not two computers trying to connect causing the problem

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

Agreed, this doesn't appear to be about two computers accessing an IMAP server at the same time. The whole point of using IMAP is so you can share email between multiple computers, in my case is webmail, my mobile and my home computer. There appears to be fundamental problems in the service. I continually experience problems with both webmail (irrespective of whether I'm at home on the Telus network or whether I'm overseas) and an email client (in my case Windows Live). There are errors opening up the inbox, synchronizing the inbox and sending emails. It's been like this for months and it's getting progressively worse. When I called tech support, they admitted there is a problem and said Telus is upgrading their servers. Apparently it's taking them a long time to do this.

nss_tech

Edmonton AB

said by bimmerdriver:

When I called tech support, they admitted there is a problem and said Telus is upgrading their servers. Apparently it's taking them a long time to do this.

You seemed to miss my last post. The agents only acknowledge the problem in order to limit the number of questions you'll ask them. Email isn't a priority for Telus by a long shot.

The solution I recommend to clients that is most reliable and cost effective is Gmail. Faster, more flexible, more secure, way more storage space, can receive larger emails, and multiple connections.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by nss_tech:

said by bimmerdriver:

When I called tech support, they admitted there is a problem and said Telus is upgrading their servers. Apparently it's taking them a long time to do this.

The solution I recommend to clients that is most reliable and cost effective is Gmail. Faster, more flexible, more secure, way more storage space, can receive larger emails, and multiple connections.

Sure until there's a problem with the account and then who do you call... Ghostbusters?

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
reply to nss_tech

said by nss_tech:

As long as you don't mind your emails being scanned for content. They say that it is for statistical purposes only and that no personal data is stored, but do you trust them?

Other than the fact that the authentication process is slow, I personally have not had problems with recovering email. Once authentication was cached, the response has been very good. The sending of email however, was so pathetically slow that I opted for third party authenticated SMTP. That allows me to send email from anywhere without having to make configuration changes. Complaints to Telus have fallen on deaf ears.

seriosbrad

join:2006-08-10
Lethbridge, AB
reply to WhosTheBosch

G-Mail doesn't have problems. Embrace our lord and savior, Google

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by seriosbrad:

Let me know how it works for you when you can't log in and don't have anyone to contact.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by WhosTheBosch:

said by seriosbrad:

Let me know how it works for you when you can't log in and don't have anyone to contact.

Same could go for TELUS .. Nobody actually has access to the admins that deal with the servers
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to WhosTheBosch

said by WhosTheBosch:

Sure until there's a problem with the account and then who do you call... Ghostbusters?

I had a problem with a nephews Google account once because is girlfriend kept resetting the password to many times in a short windows it locked it out, Went though the help area Google had setup, they called me asked some questions and got it straight.

Just 2 days ago I had a minor issue with Google music, same thing filled out the help ticket they called in less then 5 mins and got me connected with highers up and get it fixed.

They do have support, its just not a phone number for you to call them, they call you.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

sammy12

thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to switch over to Gmail as Telus imap doesn't seem to be improving with the disconnects and long authentication on start up or can't connect at start up. Only problem is all the sites/forums I subscribe to will have to be changed to my new gmail as well as troubling my contacts to change my address..........thanks again everyone sammy12

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by sammy12:

thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to switch over to Gmail as Telus imap doesn't seem to be improving with the disconnects and long authentication on start up or can't connect at start up. Only problem is all the sites/forums I subscribe to will have to be changed to my new gmail as well as troubling my contacts to change my address..........thanks again everyone sammy12

Makes it a lot easier to switch ISPs too!
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to sammy12

Outlook.com is a new webmail service. It's an upgrade of hotmail.
I've been using it for 6 months now, and I'm liking it so far.
You can also give it a shot.

nitecrsr

@telus.net
reply to bimmerdriver

If you think Telus is bad, consider the poor fools in New Zealand where the dominant/traditional telco, NZ Telecom, has anchored/linked/joined its email server and service to Yahoo!

DEdwinR

join:2013-04-09
Burnaby, BC
reply to sammy12

We have the same problems and they are getting worse. Here's what Telus told me in December. I'm getting very close to changing services.

"Our IMAP email servers have starting running at full capacity at peak periods of the day, which is starting to affect both Webmail customers and those using third party software such as Outlook.
Customers are starting to see error messages such as “Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection” and “A time-out occurred while communicating with the server” during high traffic times. In an effort to remain loyal and transparent to our customers, we are sharing this message with you for use with customers calling in:
“Due to rapidly-increasing use of email bandwidth our current servers are starting to run at capacity sometimes, which is resulting in some error messages like the one you saw. I understand how important email is to you, and I apologize.
TELUS is currently building a new email platform that will resolve this issue in the new year. This is an extensive technical undertaking, something in which our company is investing considerable money and resources."

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada

It's in testing right now.
Should be rolled out soon (month or two.)

NormB

@telus.net

I also have been having a really bad time with this problem over the last two months or so. For me, it is device independent, but very (Telus) load dependent. "Chatted" with them twice, being quite assertive the second time. Referred to this discussion. Their response: it is a known IMAP problem, blah, blah. We hope to have it fixed "sometime in June".

bimmerdriver

Coquitlam, BC

You would think they had to invent some "new fangled" electrical post office system or something. Oh right, that was invented 25 years ago.