how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Treblesum81

join:2006-05-12
Denver, CO

DIR-615 settings issue refusing IP to cell phone

I have a D-Link DIR-615 which I've never been able to set up properly to allow my phone, or any other mobile device, to connect without issues. Usually I can connect the phone to the wireless router for a few times successfully after I pull the power supply on the router for a few minutes, but then after 3-4 connections, either leaving and coming home, or cycling wifi on the device, it will just get stuck trying to obtain the ip address from the router and will never connect, even though I have changed no settings in the phone.

I'm pretty sure this is a settings issue because I've been able to connect to similar routers in other locations and none of them have ever acted this way. I'm hoping someone here with more experience in network configuration can help me figure this out soon as I'm getting ready to set up a media bridge in my home and I can only imagine the headache this is going to cause.

Thanks

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
Can you see the network when the problem occurs? If you see the network, can you connect to it? If you connect, do you get a IP?

I would put the Radio to G only and the encryption to WPA with AES.

Treblesum81

Denver, CO
said by Optimus2357:

Can you see the network when the problem occurs? If you see the network, can you connect to it? If you connect, do you get a IP?

I would put the Radio to G only and the encryption to WPA with AES.

The network is visible when the problem occurs, and it's ostensibly connecting, but then gets stuck on the "obtaining ip address" status and then after a few minutes, it will say "network disabled, poor signal" even though the SSID is sitting there with a full set of signal bars. I will try the settings you suggest, though I very much prefer wireless-n to wireless-g.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Treblesum81
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.

Treblesum81

Denver, CO
Currently I'm trying the settings that Optimus2357 gave me to see if they work. It will probably be at least a day or two before I know if the router is going to start refusing the IP address again, which is part of what makes this so frustrating: Everything I do to rectify the issue, be it a settings change or pulling the power, is followed by a few perfectly normal connections before it starts refusing the connections again. To be perfectly honest though, I've tried every one of the settings mentioned here at least once except for setting the encryption to "WPA only" instead of "Auto (WPA or WPA2)", so, while I'm hopeful, I'm not holding my breath that this change will stick.

I guess the question this brings up is whether or not the "Auto" settings (ie 802.11g / 802.11n mixed, WPA/WPA2, or AES & TKIP) could be the cause of my headaches? Out of the box for most routers, the network is set up with every "Auto" option checked, which I'm assuming is meant to give the network the most flexibility for connecting devices, but that proved to be the most troublesome, as neither my old phone, nor my ex-wife's computer could reliably connect to it. That was with an old Linksys router, which we replaced with this D-Link because we thought it was old and dying, but the problems persisted to the new router, and then on through several new devices, which is why I ended up here trying to figure out where I'm going wrong in settings. After all, it seems like its only when trying to connect to my home router that any of these devices seem to be having trouble. Whenever I'm out at a public access point, or in someone else's house, the connection works fine every time...

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Treblesum81
Seen issues with newer phones not working well with Auto Cypher and prefer manual 20Mhz and TPIK only settings.

Treblesum81

Denver, CO
said by BimmerE38FN:

Seen issues with newer phones not working well with Auto Cypher and prefer manual 20Mhz and TPIK only settings.

Which cipher is newer? I know for a fact that my phone does not support "TKIP only" mode. When I tried that setting, I got a message on my phone saying it did not support that cipher and that I needed to enable AES.

Here's another question, which might end up helping: What settings would I set if I wanted to set it up as a public access point? Is there something specific, or is it still just a trial and error method? The reason I ask is because I can always connect to public access points without difficulty, so I'm thinking if I set my router up like that, but then add security into it, it might work better.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Treblesum81
AES is the newer Cypher. Check to see what all of your devices support. Most recent devices do support AES.

Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Acess Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)

Treblesum81

Denver, CO
Well, it took about a week, but I'm right back where I started from. The phone sees the network, connects, but gets stuck trying to get an IP from the router. This is with the settings that Optimus2357 mentioned. Pulling the power does fix the issue temporarily, but I still feel like there has to be a better way than to pull the power on the router every few days. As for the settings suggestion that BimmerE38FN offered, I have tried nearly every combination of those over the years I've had this router, none with any better success. Are there any other possible settings that might be causing this specific problem?

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
When the issue occurs can other wireless devices connect? Seeing if its just the wifi failing/crashing on router, or if its a compatibility issue.

Treblesum81

Denver, CO
Right now, I only have the phone to connect to the router, but the same problem did happen with both of my old phones.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
said by Treblesum81:

Right now, I only have the phone to connect to the router, but the same problem did happen with both of my old phones.

What is the DIR-615's hardware version?

Have you considered assigning a static IP to your cell phone to see what happens over a period of time?

If you have an android based phone, an app called WiFi Static will automatically switch your static IP based upon the SSID of the wireless router.