join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by BACONATOR26:

said by Guspaz:

Whatever the CRTC or mlerner think, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to overrule Quebec's consumer protection laws.

The CRTC does not create laws. It creates regulation. Regulation cannot supercede laws.

I'm not sure about new regulations but that is not entirely correct. Regulations are a form of law as far as the Federal Government is concerned and the Telecommunications Act does take precedence over provincial as far as I understand.

Correction: Regulations derives from law; they cannot override their framework.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by mazhurg:

said by BACONATOR26:

said by Guspaz:

Whatever the CRTC or mlerner think, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to overrule Quebec's consumer protection laws.

The CRTC does not create laws. It creates regulation. Regulation cannot supercede laws.

I'm not sure about new regulations but that is not entirely correct. Regulations are a form of law as far as the Federal Government is concerned and the Telecommunications Act does take precedence over provincial as far as I understand.

Correction: Regulations derives from law; they cannot override their framework.

I stand corrected but then the having the Provincial policies with the code might end up confusing for the average consumer if both will be in effect. I think there definitely needs to be a Canada wide policy so everyone in every province will know what to expect.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Day 2. Live Stream

Telus just wrapped up this morning (Continued from yesterday).

Next up is supposed to be CIPPIC. See schedule, »www.crtc.gc.ca/telecom/e ··· 1_02.htm

We will see if CIPPIC is going to be towing the sell-out PIAC party line.
hm

hm

Anon

I believe CIPPIC Just stated that Provincial consumer laws should stay as is in order to further protect people (ie. class actions and more).

Will see if they say more on this matter during the question period.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to BACONATOR26

MVM

to BACONATOR26

Re: The New Wireless Code Hearings. Live Stream @ 9-am

said by BACONATOR26:

I stand corrected but then the having the Provincial policies with the code might end up confusing for the average consumer if both will be in effect. I think there definitely needs to be a Canada wide policy so everyone in every province will know what to expect.

We really don't need a Canada-wide policy if that Canada-wide policy is going to take away existing Provincial protections and help the wireless companies screw over consumers.

There is no added confusion to consumers, only providers. Consumers don't know about any the legal stuff behind this anyhow, all they know is what the law makes the carriers put into the contracts.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to hm

Anon

to hm

Re: Day 2. Live Stream

Both a Canada wide one and a provincial one can co-exist. I see no confusion.

piacLUVSrogr
@videotron.ca

piacLUVSrogr

Anon

I missed most of the Rogers blabbing.

Only caught that they don't want provincial Consumer Protection laws to affect them. They want a watered down Canada wide code that is like what PIAC and the CWTA (industry lobby group) wants.