how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

Frontier stops upgrades!

My friend has a problematic DSL line and the tech told him that Frontier is going to be trying to get rid of some of their assets in rural areas and problem areas. This is important not to the people in places with Frontier FiOS, but to the people stuck at 3mb DSL and lower. I don't have any confirmation about what areas Frontier will not be upgrading, but I have a strong feeling they will not be pushing VDSL to the areas they've promised.

I was assured my area would have upgrades by March, and then we hear that we'll be lucky if we maintain the same speeds we have now. I knew they got themselves into a giant mess buying all of Verizon's old and unmaintained lines, but is it really so bad they can't even give anyone decent speeds in the foreseeable future?

Has anyone else heard of Frontier refusing to perform needed upgrades?
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2472459013.png

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

Can you tell us more who told you the March timeline for upgrades and where did you hear now that this is not just delayed but will not happen at all.

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to jamesonnorth

Well, I live in a rural area, and have been stuck with 3 Mbps DSL for awhile. Then my son tells me his download speeds tonight are more than twice as fast as they used to be. Surprise! I checked the modem page and we're now set to 8 Mbps, without even asking!

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN
reply to gozer

I heard from three different customer service agents that I should expect to see upgrades in March, and the tech was an actual Frontier on-site tech. If I still see the upgrades, it might be the tech who told my friend was only referring to one particular area. We won't know for sure until March or April.

My two DSL lines are maxed out--they're right about 8000/850 each but any higher at all and they're very unstable. I'm close enough to my CO to support 16mbit on one DSL line, so I know it's an issue with the CO at its limits. If I can upgrade to a 12mbit package on one or both of my lines, I know Frontier has done an upgrade or two.

I REALLY hope this tech was wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if Frontier is trying to ditch some of their lines, because they inherited a huge mess from Verizon.

AT&T knows they can't maintain their aging copper infrastructure, and Frontier knows they can't maintain or upgrade theirs. Unlike AT&T, Frontier doesn't have the cash to do a large U-Verse FTTN type deployment or even more expensive, a large FiOS deployment, so if this tech was right, Frontier will likely be looking to sell less profitable markets. To who, I have no idea.
--

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN
reply to PDXPLT

Some area are getting upgrades even now, but it's future upgrades I'm unsure of. Perhaps since these upgrades I've heard about for my area are so soon, I'll still see them. I hope so.

Congratulations on your increased speeds! Are you actually getting 8mbps real downloads (over 800KB/s) or are you maxing out around 6.5-6.8? My lines are *set* for 8MB, but they don't get close to achieving that speed because of overhead and line loss. Maybe something to do with the DSLAMs maxing out. I'm not sure.

In some areas, customers are artificially limited to 3mb packages because of a lack of backhaul. If Frontier has recently upgraded the lines feeding your remote or CO, that's the explanation for the speed increase. This is almost certainly the case if you're paying for the old Max package or maybe the Simply Max package and someone in provisioning maxed the line.
--

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to PDXPLT

PDXPLT - If you're seeing those speeds you're not very rural. You are lucky because you are very close to the remote.

jamesonnorth - I have not heard anything to confirm what you have been told by the technician. I wonder if they are talking about your area only. But then again, the response I received about upgrades to our area, an area that is native Frontier, does not appear to be positive. As I have mentioned before the statement "oh they left us with a mess" is a standard saying when one telco takes over a portion from another carrier. They are obligated to make improvements to the areas they took over, so they may just want to stop where they are or slow down the required improvements. I think Frontier is beginning to realize that they bit off more than they can handle. Additionally if true it may only be in your area and the technician may not have the full story.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to jamesonnorth

The original report seems erroneous to me. Frontier's entire business plan is serving rural areas. I don't see them selling assets if only because they are very unlikely to find any buyers.

More likely: a spending freeze or the area reached its budget limit on infrastructure upgrades for the quarter or fiscal year.

Frontier has a tolerance for the rural markets AT&T lacks.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Phil I agree to a degree; although they have a tolerance for rural markets, that tolerance, in many areas, has a very low threshold.

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to Hank

said by Hank:

PDXPLT - If you're seeing those speeds you're not very rural. You are lucky because you are very close to the remote.

I dunno about that. We're over five miles from the CO. But we're lucky enough to be less than a 1/2 mile from the remote; some of the folks it serves are another 5 miles away.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to Hank

Tolerance does not mean they do a great job. It just means they will milk what they can and not be quick to sell.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to PDXPLT

Our CO is approx. 10 miles down the road, but I can actually see the remote box from our upstairs bedroom.

That said, the MUX is stuffed. REALLY stuffed. When I talked to the techs before Christmas I was told that upgrades should be happening now. The speed tonight is just terrible even though we have fiber optic to the box-I don't think Frontier appreciated just how hungry our area was for internet access. Right now I can't open a lot of sites because things just time out due to a choked, busy pipe.

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN
reply to Hank

Hopefully they are realizing they're in deeper than they initially thought and will adjust their plan accordingly.

I heard this second hand, so I can't confirm the exact wording from the tech. It would not surprise me if they will be downsizing upgrades and speed expansions, because they can't possibly have much money left for all this. If you're out of money, you either increase rates or limit services. When their main competitors offer speeds of at least twice what they can offer in some areas, they can't increase prices and hope to remain even remotely relevant.

Frontier can't really do much without running more fiber, so I'll be interested to see what the next few years hold for Frontier customers.
--

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to jamesonnorth

Some upgrades are paid for by the government as they accepted some grants to expand broadband. They are getting $750 per household in some areas in the latest rounds of grants.

dierro
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Onondaga, MI

said by staregazer:

Some upgrades are paid for by the government as they accepted some grants to expand broadband. They are getting $750 per household in some areas in the latest rounds of grants.

interesting.. might be moving to a house that only gets frontier soon. hoping for the best, there are no alternatives.
--
aggressiver einzelgänger

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
reply to jamesonnorth

They haven't, I found out today frontier is laying down fiber very soon (it has 40+ miles flagged for drilling) to our town.

Expand your moderator at work

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN
reply to SteveJobs

Re: Frontier stops upgrades!

Nice! As some have speculated, perhaps it's just some areas that have limited (or no) upgrades scheduled. Maybe your area will have VDSL2 soon?

AlmontJohn

join:2011-01-27
reply to jamesonnorth

I would love to be "stuck with" 3Mb DSL. My only affordable (and mostly reliable) option is satellite.

I was told by our Frontier service manager that we were on the build out schedule for 4th quarter last year. Still waiting. Now my emails to her go unanswered..

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
reply to jamesonnorth

I'm not sure, it would be nice, but I'm just hoping for ADSL2+