how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON

[TekTalk] TekTalk installation question

So I'm currently on Bell POTS, and I'm thinking of switching over to TekTalk, but I've got a few questions...

This image below is the point where my current phone system is distributed from.

»i45.tinypic.com/wqtpg8.jpg

Looking at images of the Cisco ATA, it needs an RJ11 connector for the phone 1 or phone 2 ports. So I think I have to disconnect the white wire from the demarc, add an RJ11 connector to it, then run that into the ATA.

Does that sound right?

From the picture you can see that there are 5 telephone lines running out of the box, is there a limit to the number of lines I can run off the Cisco ATA's phone line ports? (I'm wondering if there is some sort of limit, and whether or not it can support 5 hard wired phones connecting to the Phone Line 1 port of the ATA?) (I can't use 1 wired phone with a bunch of cordless phones, because the signal doesn't reach the entire house)

I've seen a couple of different images showing how the ATA is connected to the internet. Which of these is the recommended setup?

1)
»www.phone.com/wp/wp-content/uplo···out1.png

2)
»www.phone.com/wp/wp-content/uplo···out2.png

Thanks for any advice...

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
Yea you have to disconnect the line from the demarc or simply unplug the cord at the demarc if you have a jack/nid, then you can backfeed at any convenient jack near the ATA.

instead of installing an rj11 connector its often easier to install a jack there, and run a standard rj11 cord from the jack to the ATA, unless you have rj11 connectors and crimper handy.

The ATA should ring all your phones OK, especially if they are all self-powered by a separate wall plug. It will have trouble ringing old rotary phones or some line-powered old sets, but Ive been backfeeding ATAs for years and the only time I ran into trouble was when I got up to 10 or more phones.

To answer your last question, that depends, on your router, your skills, etc. for most ppl diagram 1 is enough (and setting the QoS properly in the ATA), but if you have a high end router, that can do QoS, then option 2 is better (no double NAT). I wouldnt do diagram 2 unless you specifically have a router that can do QoS and its set up properly.

--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON
Ahhh ok so pretty simply you're saying I can disconnect this white line from the demarc here

»i46.tinypic.com/2nvb9s3.jpg

Then I can run a short RJ11 patch cable from the ATA to this jack in the closet:

»i50.tinypic.com/sm8um9.jpg

And that will backfeed into the white junction box and feed the signal to the rest of the house right?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by activoice:

Ahhh ok so pretty simply you're saying I can disconnect this white line from the demarc here

»i46.tinypic.com/2nvb9s3.jpg

Then I can run a short RJ11 patch cable from the ATA to this jack in the closet:

»i50.tinypic.com/sm8um9.jpg

And that will backfeed into the white junction box and feed the signal to the rest of the house right?

Correct.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca