how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

Bridging cradlepoint MBR-1000

Broadband finally became available to me, and I now have 12Mbps Windstream internet, anyway they gave me a modem/router combo that can Ber bridged so I bridged the router and attached the cradlepoint, for some reason I can't get the cradle point to work with it, devices will connect to the router but will say limited access and have no internet, anyone had any luck using the cradle point with a bridged modem/router?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

I am not sure of windstream does PPPoE or PPPoA but if they do PPPoE:

Hop into the cradlepoint and configure the windstream PPPoE credentials.

Here is their guide:
»knowledgebase.cradlepoint.com/ar···dlePoint

If windstream does PPPoA... well you will need to let the windstream modem/router perform the PPPoA and place the cradlepoint in the DMZ (or whatever the mfg calls it, its amazing how many different terms are used) of the windstream modem/router. Post the make/model of windstream modem/router if you need help with this part.

Good luck!

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

Looked in the modem/router's page and it appears they use PPPoE, just not sure what the username and password would be though. It is a Sagemcom fast 1704 modem/router combo.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

It would be one that you setup (or were assigned) by windstream... it might be the same as your windstream email account.

Give them a call they will give the info to you, then pop that in the cradlepoint and you should be good to go.

I am not sure if it works with sagemcom but with many of these modem/routers you can telnet to the modem/router, login with the web admin password, and then issue the command:
show all

Scroll through the results and near the top you should find the PPPoE login name and password... might save you call to their support

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
reply to m12345s

Why would you want to, adding another router just increases delay in the network, not to mention adding additional firewalls(if using the WAN port). Now if you wanted to extend the Windstream modem/router combo, you could just plug a Cat5 cable from the Windstream router's LAN port 1, and plug it into LAN port 1 on the Cradlepoint. You essentially just add a switch.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

When you put the windstream modem/router into bridge mode it shuts off the router function and essentially the modem part only works, so then I can plug in my wireless N cradlepoint router, the windstream router only supports G, and it also shuts firewalls off when you bridge it.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to dib22

Thanks I found the information on the router page, so far the Sagemcom is doing well so Im going to leave it how it is right now.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Dexter1992

said by Dexter1992:

Why would you want to, adding another router just increases delay in the network, not to mention adding additional firewalls(if using the WAN port).

To take advantage of the failover/loadbalance functions on the cradlepoint. Basically when your dsl dies the cradlepoint would then switch over to your wireless wan backup (mcom connection).

His setup is in bridge mode, meaning there is only a single router (the mbr1000) but if he wasn't you will find that when you are that physically close, the delay would be minimal. The main issue you might run into would be older software that can't transverse double NAT.

Now if you wanted to extend the Windstream modem/router combo, you could just plug a Cat5 cable from the Windstream router's LAN port 1, and plug it into LAN port 1 on the Cradlepoint. You essentially just add a switch.

Not sure this would work ... you would have the windstream trying to assign an IP to the cradlepoint, and the cradlepoint trying to assign an IP to the windstream

Dexter1992

Winona, MN

Well the double NAT configuration would not be efficient. If he has a bridge mode then I don't think he would be posting a question on here.

Actually if you already have a working router using NAT, you can extend the number of network ports by using another router. The second router needs to have DHCP disabled and the NIC IP be set in the same subnet as the first. Lan 1 - Lan 1. Otherwise dib22, then they will do what you say

Personally I don't like modem/router combos. I like to buy my own brand name router that I desire.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to dib22

Hey, I think I finally might have got my modem bridged with the Cradlepoint correctly, what I did was use the PPPoE information and put it in the cradlepoint wan section, then I reset, but I was noticing for the whole day after I did that the connection was extremely slow, I mean less than a meg on a 12 meg connection, so I looked at the log on the router and noticed tons of blocked TCP connections and packets, I mean the whole log page was full of it. So I played around with the firewall, I know nothing about any of the settings in the MBR1000 firewall, so I changed some things and it didn't help, well finally I unchecked "Enable Stateful Packet Inspection" and reset the router again, now it seems to be working ok, I am getting my 12 meg per second speeds. Was this the right thing to do? Is there any other settings I should double check? Thanks.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

Well I prefer to keep SPI on... but... check the screen with the load balancing/failover. I wonder if something is set weird in there. For your setup you would want the wan to be default, and just have the WWAN as a failover I suspect.

I will grab my mbr 1000 try it on my home connection and report back if I see the same with SPI on.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

Yeah, something is screwy, not sure what, but it worked good for a while after turning off SPI, but then started acting up, but not near as bad, I just decided to use the telco provided G only Sagemcom, I haven't had any problems with it, so even though its a G only, its working good enough for me, if I have problems with it, I will try the cradlepoint again, I never looked at the load balancing/failover because I stopped using it before your post. Thank you for the help though.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN

So your setup is Winstream ISP > Router/Modem Combo > MBR-1000?

Router Modem combo running NAT and SPI, then you are trying to connect that to the MBR-1000? If so for what reason exactly?

Since the Router/Modem combo device doesn't have a bridge feature, your best bet would be to get a straight up modem, and connect that to the WAN port on the MBR-1000.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

No, the modem/router combo does have bridge mode, and I had it enabled, putting it in bridge should disable nat and basically the router functions, making it really only work as a modem, the reason I had the modem/router bridged with the cradle point is that the cradlepoint supports N while the modem/router only supports b and g.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to m12345s

Ok tested it... I didn't see any slowdown with SPI on... but then the top end on the connection I tested it on is 5Mbps (grin)... perhaps you hit the top end of the cpu on the mbr1000.

I will try it at a cable connection when I am at one next (20Mbps down) and see if I can max it out.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

Could be, I know lots of people have used the cradlepoint with a bridged modem, so not really sure what my problem was, its funny cause I could hit 12 right after a reset and sometimes for an hour or 2, then it drops to nothing, like 0.25 to 0.50, my upload was always stable at 0.64. Oh well, not really worried about it now, sagemcom is working fine, just a really strange problem with the bridging thing.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by m12345s:

Could be, I know lots of people have used the cradlepoint with a bridged modem, so not really sure what my problem was, its funny cause I could hit 12 right after a reset and sometimes for an hour or 2, then it drops to nothing, like 0.25 to 0.50, my upload was always stable at 0.64. Oh well, not really worried about it now, sagemcom is working fine, just a really strange problem with the bridging thing.

sounds like load balancing was on... so some of your connections were going out the WAN port, then some were going out the wireless wan (mcom), next time you are messing with it check the failover/loadbalance settings.