spc
uniqs
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to navyson

to navyson

Re: Fios Media Server

PRicing hasn't been released, but you can rest assured the price will be well above $20.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by kes601:

PRicing hasn't been released, but you can rest assured the price will be well above $20.

Probably. They may even charge a higher fee monthly based on how may auxiliary boxes you have connected, even if you own them. (i.e. PS3 or Smart TV).
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to kes601

to kes601
said by kes601:

No thankyou Verizon. I am already paying $155(TV and Internet) for double play with(DVR with 2 HD boxes). I refuse to pay more.

1. Recording up to 6 programs at once isn't important to me. Current system of 2 live recordings is okay for me.

2. 1 TB of additional storage no longer important. I already have a 1 TB external drive connected to my DVR.

3. Availability of youtube. I already have youtube on both my Roku boxes
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Yeah, I agree there isn't a whole lot of value add in this.

Directv's Genie is pretty much the same thing, if not better, and their per tv price is far cheaper than Verizon already. If Fios is charging even more than they charge for their current setup, they are not going to be the least bit competitive. FIOS internet is good, but their TV is a half notch below directv already. I would think a setup like with with light weight clients could be offered at a lower total price than with their current tv, not at a higher price.

If they are not going to use the media server to reduce equipment charges, they are going to lose a lot of tv customers like myself.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by nfotiu:

Yeah, I agree there isn't a whole lot of value add in this.

Directv's Genie is pretty much the same thing, if not better, and their per tv price is far cheaper than Verizon already. If Fios is charging even more than they charge for their current setup, they are not going to be the least bit competitive. FIOS internet is good, but their TV is a half notch below directv already. I would think a setup like with with light weight clients could be offered at a lower total price than with their current tv, not at a higher price.

If they are not going to use the media server to reduce equipment charges, they are going to lose a lot of tv customers like myself.

Verizon has already said that they do not plan to compete on price because they believe they have a "superior product".

They are trying to use the same rational they use with Verizon Wireless with Verizon FIOS. However, that's its not an equal comparison.

Even though both Verizon Wireless and Verizon FIOS regularly come out on top with consumer survey's, Verizon Wireless is clearly leaps and bounds above its competitors in coverage and service. Verizon FIOS though not so and many of its competitors have lots more HD, better DVR's, lower prices, etc.

I am not sure how much more than $20 month people will be willing to pay.

crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to nfotiu

to nfotiu
I disagree.
One of the things I understand will be available will be the ability to control live TV from every box. Would love to be able to pause TV from every STB.
I know more people that have dropped satellite due to reception problems than have dropped cable for satellite.
When I looked, it was not much cheaper. And although they have a few more channels, not anything I really want.
Plus as I understand it, Directv doesn't have VOD like FIOS.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by crgauth:

I disagree.
One of the things I understand will be available will be the ability to control live TV from every box. Would love to be able to pause TV from every STB.
I know more people that have dropped satellite due to reception problems than have dropped cable for satellite.
When I looked, it was not much cheaper. And although they have a few more channels, not anything I really want.
Plus as I understand it, Directv doesn't have VOD like FIOS.

Directv's VOD requires an internet connection. Its kinda like Netflix.

How much additional per month are you willing to pay to get the new media server?

Controlling live TV from every box? Not important to me. Most times I forget I have that feature since I DVR most of my shows.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

I'm excited about this - but if they price it about $20, my excitement starts dropping.

Technology advances, and generally had has positive pricing benefits. If they look to make it a cash cow, I'll just say with TWC.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by JackBauer:

I'm excited about this - but if they price it about $20, my excitement starts dropping.

Technology advances, and generally had has positive pricing benefits. If they look to make it a cash cow, I'll just say with TWC.

Don't hold your breadth. Verizon never gives you more for less.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

There are several other differences as well - including the fact that FiOS has over 50,000 On Demand offerings, while Directv has about 10,000.
crgauth
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

How much additional per month are you willing to pay to get the new media server?

Hard to say at this point until all the features are known. But would be ok with paying what I am paying today (others were wondering if price should drop).
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by crgauth:

said by navyson:

Hard to say at this point until all the features are known. But would be ok with paying what I am paying today (others were wondering if price should drop).

Why would the prices drop? Verizon never drops prices.They have said repeatedly that they won't compete on price since it considers itself as offering a premium product.

I would be shocked if Verizon offers all these new features for the same price as the current DVR.
navyson

navyson to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

There are several other differences as well - including the fact that FiOS has over 50,000 On Demand offerings, while Directv has about 10,000.

Great if you consider On Demand offerings important. I rarely ever watch anything on demand. I DVR 99% of my viewing.
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

said by navyson:

Why would the prices drop? Verizon never drops prices.They have said repeatedly that they won't compete on price since it considers itself as offering a premium product.

I would be shocked if Verizon offers all these new features for the same price as the current DVR.

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade. No one knows what the cost will be for the VMS1100 and the IPC1100. But there will be one. The new server has much more capacity, and many more features than the existing hardware, and seeing it at the show, I could not expect it to be a free upgrade. It is very fast and as documented in many press releases, runs HTML5. I can insure you, that you will not see any delays in menu or channel changes with this server. It has power!

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Ve ··· p/533949
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade. No one knows what the cost will be for the VMS1100 and the IPC1100. But there will be one.

As someone who has not yet subscribed - and is waiting for this product, I will not pay more than $20 / month for the main unit. (Unless the child boxes are less than the HD STB's are today and together 1+1 = less than current fees)

The 7232's are now two years old. Technology advances, and I do not feel the new features are 5 years ahead of the 7232's.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

Great if you consider On Demand offerings important. I rarely ever watch anything on demand. I DVR 99% of my viewing.

As do I, but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the big differences between the two providers.
crgauth
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to prisaz

to prisaz
said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade.

I think part of what people are asking is will there be a one time cost (like there was for the upgrade to the 7232) or an increase in the monthly cost?
I would be willing to pay something (on the same order as the 7232 upgrade) to get the newer devices, but not sure that I would pay too much more per month as that adds up over time).
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

said by crgauth:

said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade.

I think part of what people are asking is will there be a one time cost (like there was for the upgrade to the 7232) or an increase in the monthly cost?
I would be willing to pay something (on the same order as the 7232 upgrade) to get the newer devices, but not sure that I would pay too much more per month as that adds up over time).

I will repeat~! Yes there will be a cost for the Upgrade, we just don't know the cost. As for the monthly costs for the remote boxes, and the monthly cost for the server, your guess is as good as mine in regards to all of those items. I do not expect Verizon to release any pricing information, until it is time for the product to hit the market. We all just need to wait and see.

There is no more information I have, and I do not believe you will find out by continuing to ask anyone. I can say that from being as close to the source as possible.

Best Regards to all. My final post on the subject.
kennye
join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

kennye

I will be interested in the overall price and capability. Will be interested how the terminal server and remote boxes compare to my current configuration and if additional functionality will be available. Only an announcement will tell.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by kennye:

I will be interested in the overall price and capability. Will be interested how the terminal server and remote boxes compare to my current configuration and if additional functionality will be available. Only an announcement will tell.

I agree with your comment. We have many different configurations to accommodate recording requirements and additional TV's. Details on functionality, cost and deployment schedule are minor missing ingredients.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by HenryFarpolo:

said by kennye:

I agree with your comment. We have many different configurations to accommodate recording requirements and additional TV's. Details on functionality, cost and deployment schedule are minor missing ingredients.

Minor? I definitely won't be getting it if I have pay anything more than the $20 I pay now for the DVR. Currently, I pay a total of $40 (DVR plus 2 HD boxes).

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by navyson:

said by HenryFarpolo:

said by kennye:

Minor? I definitely won't be getting it if I have pay anything more than the $20 I pay now for the DVR. Currently, I pay a total of $40 (DVR plus 2 HD boxes).

Functionality, cost and deployment details are not in any sense minor hence the next to the word minor.