Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

VPS backup solution - Ubuntu on remote virtual machine

Looking for some suggestions on how to backup a virtual server across the Internet...

I've got a Ubuntu 12.04 server running on a remote VPS host... I'm looking for backup ideas. It's not a very active system, and certainly nothing critical, a web and email server, but I'd rather not have to rebuild from scratch, if anything happened.

I don't do a lot of unix work anymore... Tar'ing up the system is my first idea, either onto the remote virtual machine, then FTP it over to my home box, or maybe tar across the wire, although not sure if an Internet connection would be stable enough for that...

I'm open to suggestions - any tools, ideas, etc???

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

rsync

(over ssh)

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

I second the use of rsync -- this is how I back up my own VPS. If you want the shell script and related bits I wrote/use, I can provide them (there's really nothing special/magical to it all).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

Refer to »troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Looking for some suggestions on how to backup a virtual server across the Internet...

I've got a Ubuntu 12.04 server running on a remote VPS host... I'm looking for backup ideas. It's not a very active system, and certainly nothing critical, a web and email server, but I'd rather not have to rebuild from scratch, if anything happened.

I don't do a lot of unix work anymore... Tar'ing up the system is my first idea, either onto the remote virtual machine, then FTP it over to my home box, or maybe tar across the wire, although not sure if an Internet connection would be stable enough for that...

I'm open to suggestions - any tools, ideas, etc???

Crashplan will also work. You can set it up to backup to their stuff (costs money but I think you get a couple of gigs free) or backup to another computer running crashplan (i.e. your desktop or home server).
--
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f*cking them."
General Welfare

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to LazMan

rsnapshot: a utility that uses rsync to perform local and remote backups. The advantage over rsync by itself is that it will maintain any configurable number of backups (daily/weekly/monthly) with minimal space requirements (due to hard-linking of unchanged files).

A recent usage suggestion in this forum can be found here .

Encrypted (rsync over ssh) backup is also possible with rsnapshot.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LazMan

I use rsynch over ssh to back up a remote server. It works fine. I've used it on wireless and wired--wireless is a little slower, but I'm only backing up home and etc from a lappy that doesn't keep data on it.

I looked at rsnapshot, but since I had rsynch working, I didn't go further. I probably need to look at it again, as I'm manually managing backup sets.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni