spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

walleye

@xplornet.com

Bell $g LTE or xplornet 4g

I am currently an xplornet customer. I have had there small buisness package for 3.5 years. It is supposed to be a 5Mbps connection. I only ever get around 1.2 down and .7 up. I have been thinking of their 4g network. I am afraid to get into another agreement with them and end up with another service that is less than advertised. I can get the Bell 4g LTE using the 4G LTE NETGEAR MBR1516 Turbo Hub. The Bell plans are quite pricey for the amount of data per package though. Xplornet pricing is better with their 4g. I know nothing about either network. I am hoping to get some advise from those with more experience. We want to use it for surfing, online gaming and to watch Netfix if possible. Any suggestions......

Thanks

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
With LTE you would get what, 6GB/month?
I hope you didn't plan on watching netflix with that.

Walleye

@xplornet.com
I can barely watch youtube videos right now. Hoping for something better....

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2
reply to walleye
Bell LTE plans are worthless as a main internet source if you actually intend to use it for more than updating your Facebook status and checking your email. The cost of LTE is outrageous even before you go over the tiny data usage permitted, and trying to use Netflix with it will rapidly take you over that data cap and send your bill into the stratosphere. I’m stuck with the same kind of clunky Xplornet service, though I’m lucky enough to have a clear LOS to the tower so it’s at least stable. They’re still much better than the “mobile internet solutions” that the robber barons at Bell and Rogers try and sell.

What I’ve done recently is use my Telus data plan as a supplement in cases where someone else is using Netflix and bringing poor Xplornet to its knees. For whatever reason the Telus tower has great reception here where both Bell and Rogers can’t even maintain a connection. I have a 6 gig data plan on my cell phone, and I just hotspot the connection to my computer. It’s much faster than Xplornet, but I have to be very careful with the usage, since Telus allows you to go only 10 gigs over before they shut you down completely.

That’s the reality of internet service in rural Ottawa. I work within sight of Parliament Hill but my home connection is worse than most of the Third World.

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to walleye
I have Xplornet 4G, on the 10Mbps/100G package (unadvertised, but available). I'm pretty far from the tower, but good LOS. Reliability has been quite good.
Speeds are a curious thing. I know for sure Xplornet throttles certain connections. For example, I can be downloading from some places and get a pretty solid 8-10Mbps. But Windows Updates and YouTube connections (and other "popular" ones) are definitely being throttled. For me, Windows Update connections rarely get above 500kbps. YouTube is a bit better, and NetFlix is quite tolerable except during peek times.
But VPN to work (I work from home) works great across 4G.

For you, you need to think about the desired speeds, but also about your total monthly bandwidth. NetFlix can burn a lot if you're not paying attention.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to walleye
What region do you live in ?.

There is likely other choices you are unaware of.
--
www.ontariohighspeed.ca

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2
reply to b_p_smith
said by b_p_smith:

I have Xplornet 4G, on the 10Mbps/100G package (unadvertised, but available).

Not available everywhere, at least not according to the Xplornet representative I asked about it. I was told that the rural Ottawa area was limited to a 60 gig maximum cap. That's the primary reason I haven't upgraded to 4G, since I'm pretty sure we use more than that every month (I need to set up a data monitoring tool to see exactly how much).

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
I'm in the rural Ottawa area. But when I signed up it was converting from RipNet (which Xplornet bought) and was touted as a "special offer" by one rep. Another rep told me anybody could get it for asking. But that was nearly a year ago.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

Walleye

@184.151.61.x
reply to OHSrob
I am down in southern Ontario. On the shore of Lake Erie in the Colchester area. I have contacted xplornet and 4g is available, but I will have to go on a waiting list. What kind of ping speeds are people getting with this service. Does it work very well with online gaming with a PS3?