Addison, TX

chamberc to nephipower

Premium Member

to nephipower

Re: ClearQAM Channel Listing for TW Dallas

said by nephipower:

Interesting because based upon this page from TWC

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· deo.html

It makes it sound like that switching from the analog that is used today for ClearQAM to these digital channels is the same thing as SDV.

Right now I don't have a DTA or Tuning adapter at all. The coax is just plugged straight into my tv. I can get all of the channels listed in the channel lineup except for the ones that are show that require a Digital adapter. So I can get most of the channels except about 10 or so.

Could you elaborate what is the difference between Digital channels and SDV?

Because based upon all the different pages that I have read from TWC website it seems one and the same.

SDV isn't being sent to your house unless a request from some sort of TWC hardware sends a message and say "send this channel". ClearQAM tuners can't do that.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I never said that I thought ClearQAM acts like SDV tuning adapter requesting a certain channel.

My question is around what is the difference between what motorola870 is saying are digital channels and SDV aka Switched Digital Video.

Motorola870 was saying channels 2-99 are now digital which I don't believe because like I said I don't have any DTA or Tuning Adapter from TWC and yet I got most of the basic channels.

Thus back to my last post because based upon the pages from TWC it makes it sound like the changes they did recently was changing a few basic channels over to SDV.

I understand that I may be understanding things wrong about the digital video and SDV. I am just trying to get some clarification about that.

But i definitely understand that a ClearQAM can't do SDV.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

I never said that I thought ClearQAM acts like SDV tuning adapter requesting a certain channel.

My question is around what is the difference between what motorola870 is saying are digital channels and SDV aka Switched Digital Video.

Motorola870 was saying channels 2-99 are now digital which I don't believe because like I said I don't have any DTA or Tuning Adapter from TWC and yet I got most of the basic channels.

Thus back to my last post because based upon the pages from TWC it makes it sound like the changes they did recently was changing a few basic channels over to SDV.

I understand that I may be understanding things wrong about the digital video and SDV. I am just trying to get some clarification about that.

But i definitely understand that a ClearQAM can't do SDV.

You can receive digital channels with a modern TV, if they are in ClearQAM (non-encrypted). You cannot receive switched video channels (SDV) without a DTA or other device to request the channel.

Think of SDV as video on demand.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Ok, so looking at this link below and putting in my zip code 78238

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· eup.html

There are several channels that say "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)". There were a handful of channels that just changed to this at the end of Jan.

Right now if I go to any of the channels with the above message, I can't view the channels at all without any hardware from TWC.

So are those SDV channels?

If not, what are they?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by nephipower:

There are several channels that say "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)". There were a handful of channels that just changed to this at the end of Jan.

Right now if I go to any of the channels with the above message, I can't view the channels at all without any hardware from TWC.

If not, what are they?

said by nephipower:

If not, what are they?

no they are not SDV channels actually they are available only in a digital format and require a TV that can tune QAM and are able to be picked up by doing a channel scan (limited basic channels only) expanded basic channels that were removed require a DTA or digital box . Most newer HDTVs have a QAM tuner. If you have an analog TV you need to go pick up a digital adapter at one of TWC's payment centers.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Ok, things still aren't clear to me and I'm sorry if it feels like I am a broken record but let me explain things a little more.

I am pretty sure my tv is not an analog tv. Here is the exact model that I have. It is a Samsung 50" Plasma, it has been great for the 3.5 years that I have had it.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s01_i00

When I plugged in the coax into my tv I was able to use the channel scan feature built into the tv and it picked up a bunch of channels.

So for channels like ABC, NBC those are digital ClearQAM channels and thus I am able to view them just fine.

However for the ones that say required a digital adapter they display a message that they recently changed and I am not able to view them without an additional device from TWC.

So motorola870 those channels that you called expanded basic channels or the ones that require a DTA does that mean they are encrypted now similar to how channels for TWC "standard" and "digital" tv package are encrypted, ie ESPN, Disney, etc?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by nephipower:

Ok, things still aren't clear to me and I'm sorry if it feels like I am a broken record but let me explain things a little more.

I am pretty sure my tv is not an analog tv. Here is the exact model that I have. It is a Samsung 50" Plasma, it has been great for the 3.5 years that I have had it.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s01_i00

When I plugged in the coax into my tv I was able to use the channel scan feature built into the tv and it picked up a bunch of channels.

So for channels like ABC, NBC those are digital ClearQAM channels and thus I am able to view them just fine.

However for the ones that say required a digital adapter they display a message that they recently changed and I am not able to view them without an additional device from TWC.

So motorola870 those channels that you called expanded basic channels or the ones that require a DTA does that mean they are encrypted now similar to how channels for TWC "standard" and "digital" tv package are encrypted, ie ESPN, Disney, etc?

these are the channels that need a digital adapter or box in San Antonio no matter what (they are not clear QAM)

40 C-SPAN2 (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
41 ABC Family (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
46 truTV (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
50 Stuf TV (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
51 CMT(Digital Set-Top Box Required)
63 Shop NBC (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
64 Oxygen (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
71 OWN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
73 CNBC (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
74 LMN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
75 Golf Channel (Digital Set-Top Box Required)
76 C-SPAN (Digital Set-Top Box Required)

I was saying that the digital adapters pickup channels 2-99 now and also you will get the locals in HD/subchannels on them as well. I was not saying that all of 2-99 is going digital only right now but in a few years they will be. In 2011 TWC tested digital adapters in Maine in Augusta Maine where they went 100% digital and then they had stated 100% digital across the footprint in 5 years so they are starting slowly with the change and we may see some more channels removed from analog this year and next and until around 2016 when the goal is supposed to be reached.

»www.avsforum.com/t/13525 ··· hase-out
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

So the main reason I am asking all these questions is I am looking to do a setup with getting an HDHomerun Prime that supports Cablecard. This way I can do my own DVR setup with Windows Media Center. Also, so I can switch back and forth between using "basic" and "digital tv" packages that TWC has for TV and still use the same main equipment.

From all the research and reading that I have done a tuning adapter is only required if your providers is using SDV. Since you guys are saying TWC is not using SDV yet in San Antonio.

Therefore according to the information shared here if I am on the basic package and want to view these channels that twc says requires a "(Digital Set-Top Box or Digital Adapter Required)" would a cablecard solve my problem?