uniqs
sway0004
join:2005-04-29
Surprise, AZ

sway0004 to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459

Re: [DVR] new service

Dvr is DCX3400-M

Vizio 120Hz 42 inch lcd screen setting is full .. volume is at 20 ..oh I think it is defective wifes parents has hd receiver they have no issues like this..
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Yeah I'd call Comcast and tell them the problems and ask to have the box swapped out.
sway0004
Surprise, AZ

sway0004

Comcast... oh how i cant figure you out.. okay here is the scoop.

4th we had triple play installed.. tech said i knew more then him about things other then general knowledge.. he left and services worked but not properly.. what do you mean you might ask..

hd dvr 3400-M main tv in the home.. lets you watch tv but some channels dont have volume such as 2-9 then 11-25- have sound. you will come and say its your tv.. i turn off the receiver and it works when i turn it back on.. then go to on demand sound is gone again..fine.. go to select show chicago fire(example).. No sound turn either receiver or tv off and sound works.. then the same receiver we see lots of blocks in the picture.

so we have called about this(15th) and get resets and tech visits now 3 of them each.. as each one replaces the receiver/hdmi cord.. checks line signal and sees if modem still syncs when online isn't a issue.. but okay check everything..

we have stumped the techs(18th) and tech support with this issue. so the tech says its my tv set.. but ive had no issues with direct tv before a simple car ride to my new house and it doesnt have an issue with audio with ps3 or once the receiver is reset for a while..

i think i might need the 3501 as both 3400m's do this i am going to test if it really is my tv as i have a second hd tv in the master bedroom.. if they cant get this resolved i will be going to call direct tv up and have my service moved to this home as i was waiting cancel to try comcast..
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

It wasn't very clear you had a surround sound setup in your first post. What make/model is your receiver?

Motorola DVRs have well known issues when using HDMI through a receiver. Usually it's only about resolution settings not sticking, not audio issues.
You can try the newest Moto DVR the 3501 and see how it works.

The surefire way to work around it is to use component cables for video and then use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to pipe the surround sound to your receiver. You're not missing anything by going this route since cable is at most 1080i and there is no benefit to HDMI for the audio either as cable uses standard Dolby Digital, which passes via optical/coaxial just fine.
sway0004
Surprise, AZ

sway0004

Surround sound? I dont have surround sound. I just have audio issuse from the receiver comcast gave me to rent and tech support said I may need av cables to correct this.. but we will see I think the channel guy has different signal feq. And takes a reset to switch between them and firmware on the receiver would fix it
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Oh see that's what I initially thought, but then you kept using the word receiver and you're having audio problems, so I thought I misread the previous posts. Anyway since you're coming from satellite calling the cable box a receiver makes sense. In the cable world we just call them a cable box.

Anyway you can still try component video (red/green/blue video) plus stereo audio (red/white audio) in your TV as an alternative to HDMI to see if it's just an HDMI oddity. Since you're going direct to a TV, there's no real advantage to using HDMI.

The only other thing to check before giving up on HDMI is to see what happens when connecting the cable box to a different HDMI port on your TV.
sway0004
Surprise, AZ

sway0004

update:

so yesterday tech roll was scheduled.. to complete the trouble ticket we started with at the start of service on the 4th as it was the 3rd visit for issues.. so they failed to arrive as they were not calling the home in question nor My cell phone.. but they called the last cell phone on file my wifes as for hippa violation she isnt allowed on or near her cellphones as shes in medical records all day .. so we simply got angry..i rushed home and sat and waited my wife called they said they would have a tech roll out yesterday like scheduled..but none showed up..

then in anger i looked up other options..Direct tv and dish.. as being a direct tv customer for 7+ years..i was answered by American's. socially active personal. we started the moving deal for the next day so this morning we will have direct tv for 119$ the same as comcast with better service and more channels..

as for the service now okay i called 5 times in a month to finally have comcast fix channels 2-12 for sound but past that sound goes away every 5th or 7th channel With out changing anything on my end the audio is changing on comcasts service.. very strange..

as for sphere post no advantage to hdmi.. the clarity of picture is why you go hdmi and not composite/component cables on all devices ie PS3 go component you see everything as blocks and pixels..then hdmi with hd you see everything as you should..

as i swapped the hdmi's and port on rear of my tv nothing helped when its a loading issue from comcast.. every time comcast cable box says connecting its loading picture and sound i turn it off its loading it again so the box's they gave me are standard dvr with a hd tuner or they are just garbage.. defend comcast all you like as they have lost me for tv for good as they offer sub par service for a premium.. online is the only thing i have liked from them..
timtom83
join:2012-11-15

timtom83

said by sway0004:

update:

as for sphere post no advantage to hdmi.. the clarity of picture is why you go hdmi and not composite/component cables on all devices ie PS3 go component you see everything as blocks and pixels..then hdmi with hd you see everything as you should..

That is not truth. Component cable will give you HD pictures as well as HDMI.

You have right to disconnect service and go with Directv, one more thing .
Got to secret menu(power of and press menu) chang output to 720p and see if that will fix it
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to sway0004

to sway0004
said by sway0004:

we started the moving deal for the next day so this morning we will have direct tv for 119$ the same as comcast with better service and more channels..

While I'm not faulting you for going (back) to D*, your math is a little rusty...I KNOW that $119 for D* is NOT going to include any internet &/or phone service - like your CC triple play is.

So...what ARE you planning on doing for internet service; you DO realize that if you get internet ONLY from CC, it WILL be $15 higher on a standalone basis...so you may NOT get the savings that your are expecting...

As sphere has already tried to explain to you, component cables WILL give you an HD signal JUST like an HDMI cable - I GUARANTEE you that you (nor 99% of the other folks) are NOT going to see a difference on your HDTV...but whatever...
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, we used to use Component out of the Comcast box, and it was great. Same quality, no HDMI handshake issues. We ended up switching to HDMI, I forgot why. I wish everything went Component, but unfortunately, the media industry wanted DRM, so they pushed HDMI on us.