spc
Search similar:

uniqs
infotime
join:2004-09-08
Louisville, KY

infotime

[Need Info] In posession of Pace TDC787X - Louisville, KY

Was helping a client with their TVs and networking recently. One member of the couple had recently divorced and had a few cable boxes not being used. Apparently one of the spouses had paid for the equipment somewhere along the way long after the account was closed. They gave me the Pace TDC787X.

It powers up just fine. Looks like it's in good shape. Of course I immediately get a blue screen telling me that the service has been deactivated and to call Insight, etc.

I'd like to try to use the box or sell it. But, I don't want to get in trouble. I trust that the box is clean. The client is well-to-do and lives in a very nice house in a good neighborhood. Only thing I wonder about is if they really paid the equipment charge.

Should I just call up Insight and ask? Get a new cable card for it and set it up? Throw it on eBay?

If it's still Insight's property then I'd happily return it to them. But if it's not I'd like to benefit from owning it.

What do you think?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

said by infotime:

Should I just call up Insight and ask?
If it's still Insight's property then I'd happily return it to them.

One way to find out. I'd want to make sure it's free & clear...you don't need trouble, right?.

Former thread here re the box itself: »[DVR] New HD/DVR box

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

OSUGoose to infotime

to infotime
Even if they paid for it (through lost equipment charge), it remains the property of Insight, PERIOD!
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY

jpatton1979

If that's the case Insight had better "refund" the lost equipment fee if/when you returned it.

I say "refund" because you weren't the account owner the with which the device was associated. Maybe it should be a "finder's fee"???

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

OSUGoose

That would be between the customer who was charged and Insight. Your failure to return this box is criminal in nature as well as your in possession of stolen property in the eyes of Insight. Turn it in, get a receipt and give it to your "client" to take up with Insight about any refund of fees.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

said by OSUGoose:

That would be between the customer who was charged and Insight. Your failure to return this box is criminal in nature as well as your in possession of stolen property in the eyes of Insight. Turn it in, get a receipt and give it to your "client" to take up with Insight about any refund of fees.

Quite true..(more direct than I, but that's our OSU Goose)...
But... true nonetheless.
Best answer? CALL and get direct info.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Do I get a biscuit?
infotime
join:2004-09-08
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

infotime

Think I'll just turn it in at a local Insight office and get a receipt. I'll give the client the receipt and keep a copy for myself.

Having a cable box to play with, use for free or sell for a few bucks isn't worth any of the hassle. Hell, I've already got people I don't even know accusing me of dishonorable behavior when the wrap the word "client" in quotation marks.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
According to TWC's customer agreement (I couldn't find anything relative in Insight's) if the lost equipment is returned within one year TWC will refund the amount the account owner paid for the lost equipment.

My issue is solely with Insight getting both the equipment (in good working order) AND keeping the lost equipment fee for the same device. In my opinion that's wrong (not that it really matters).

Nonetheless, I agree the equipment should still be returned.