All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

awaisuk

join:2008-10-05

2 edits

28mbps cable internet and cant even watch Youtube?

28mbps cable internet and cant even watch Youtube?

On Yorkmills POI.

When will these issues be fixed? Youtube has been lagging for over a month now constantly.

Its not only Youtube, but other sites like dailymotion, are slow as well.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

there's a big thread about this, TSI seems to be unable to actually fix the problem.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to awaisuk

does switching to google DNS (8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4) as a temporary solution work?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

It's unlikely DNS will help, that just handles resolving a name, the buffering issues are layers 2-4 related.

TSI Marc has said they're working on balancing backhaul links to solve the slow speeds and buffering issues.

Thread about slow speeds.

Thread about issues with YouTube.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to awaisuk

It's not just cable, it's DSL as well, and it's not exclusive to YouTube. All signs point to Flash. 11.3 works just fine 11.5 is broke as shit.

TypeS

London, ON

Interesting, I have 11.5 installed right now, I only experienced one night of 1080p being unstable though.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to Cloneman

said by Cloneman:

does switching to google DNS (8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4) as a temporary solution work?

In the absence of that, I would be tempted to try OpenDNS instead. I've found them to be superior to Google DNS Their server info is:

Primary: 208.67.222.222
Secondary: 208.67.220.220

JMJimmy

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

Interesting, I have 11.5 installed right now, I only experienced one night of 1080p being unstable though.

It doesn't affect everyone that's for sure and it doesn't negate the possibility of congestion. What I know is that 11.5 caused the issue on a Win7 and Win8 system and rolling them back to 11.3 and installing Flashblock for security resolved the issue. I didn't test 11.4 since I wasn't sure if it worked or not, but I knew 11.3 did since that's what was running on the Win7 system before updating/breaking.

Edit: Oh, and I've had no luck isolating the commonality between the Win7 and Win8 system... one is Radeon, the other Nvidia... they're both i7s but different models. Different networking chipsets, sound drivers, etc.

Shredda

join:2008-10-28
London, ON
reply to JMJimmy

I don't think it's a Flash issue. I have buffering issues on my Nexus 7 using the native YouTube app. Lately seems to happen during peak hours, but clears up during non-peak (which sounds like congestion issues to me.)

JMJimmy

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by Shredda:

I don't think it's a Flash issue. I have buffering issues on my Nexus 7 using the native YouTube app. Lately seems to happen during peak hours, but clears up during non-peak (which sounds like congestion issues to me.)

Exactly - It's not exclusively a flash issue but for those experiencing it at non-peak times it's more likely flash than congestion.

It's the one reason I won't ever do cable - peak times will always be slower.

vientito1

join:2009-01-09

it all depends on your neighbourhood. I am on videotron infrastructure in gatineau. I have no problem whatsoever with youtube at peak or non-peak hours. My friend is with Rogers in scarborough. He is saying youtube always has hiccup issue with buffering. He can't even remember when it ever functioned well.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

London on Rogers 25/2: Never had a problem with Youtube in 10 years. I've always ran high end vid cards and tons of ram. Wondering if the buffering/video problem a lot are reporting is hardware related?

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

said by elitefx:

London on Rogers 25/2: Never had a problem with Youtube in 10 years. I've always ran high end vid cards and tons of ram. Wondering if the buffering/video problem a lot are reporting is hardware related?

They are not. This is a TSI or TSI/Google issue.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

Should find out tomorrow. 7th 10gig backhaul was installed today. Cutting over some links tomorrow hopefully...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

awaisuk

reply to awaisuk

DNS does not resolve the issue, already tried different dns servers

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

It's the one reason I won't ever do cable - peak times will always be slower.

Well Docsis 3.0 is no slouch. 120mbps shared between all customers. Plenty of DSLAMs out there with less capacity than that!

Really depends on how the network is operated. In this case if TSI really added more 10G links the "last mile" could have been cable or DSL and it wouldnt' have mattered

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to awaisuk

Marc has just said what the issue is.. it has nothing to do with DNS or D3 modems.. This is totally to do with the connection between ROGERS and TSI by the sounds of it. Marc has said this many times.. Please read what the actual people of TSI say.. I don't think they are BSin on this. ROGERS installs these interconnections, so they need to install the lines so TSI can actually do something.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Hardware has nothing to do with playing Flash or HTML5 streams, unless it's defective hardware. Anything from integrated/on-die graphics to the multi-gpu behemoths from NVIDIA and AMD will work. There is hardware acceleration but that just takes the load from the CPU to the GPU.
Expand your moderator at work

NorthYorkEd

@teksavvy.com
reply to awaisuk

Re: 28mbps cable internet and cant even watch Youtube?

I'm on Cable 18 (yorkmills POI) and YouTube and other streaming sites are still choking. Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

NorthYorkEd

join:2013-02-13
North York, ON

Much better today. Even on wireless devices there is no problem streaming YouTube or other sites. Hope it stays this way!

awaisuk

reply to awaisuk

Lagging again was good yesterday for awhile..

Mickola

@teksavvy.com
reply to awaisuk

Me too. I have cable 28 Mbps and youtube isn't working at all...

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to awaisuk

A heads up, since I didn't bother reporting this till now:
- My internet has been getting slower and slower since last month.

When my network stops being able to support 5+ computers using the internet for average tasks, I can tell this fault goes down to something Rogers did on their end.

I read that there is a upcoming CRTC thing so maybe Rogers is abandoning all hands on fixing any cable stuff until that's over?

Misaow

join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to awaisuk

Installed a new HDD into my PS3 on Saturday, downloaded over 150gigs worth of games over the weekend while playing league and steam on 3+ computers and watching netflix/streams. Not really any slowdown, although our pings were in the 150s.

Ottawa STL POI.

On weeknights though it gets pretty bad