All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to kdroop

to kdroop

Re: Meters look like a non starter...switch back to residential?

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I've had the 24/3 business account for a little over a year. My bandwidth usage is usually between 700-900GB each month. I run a video editing business from home so unless there's a compression miracle in the near future I don't see my bandwidth usage changing anytime soon.

On the one hand, since I actually am mostly using the connection for business purposes, I feel that I should be paying for a business account.

On the other hand, I'm keeping a VERY close eye on the new service tiers we're supposed to be seeing announced in March. If they want to charge an arm and a leg for the business variants of the new tiers, I'll definitely be looking into switching to two or three residential accounts. Three of the 24/3 plans would give me 750GB of bandwidth and combined speeds of 72/9 for less than $250 a month. I already use a threaded file transfer application to send and receive video footage. So the combined lines would really work just as well as a single line with the same speeds for my purposes.

Edit: I'm also curious to see if they raise the bandwidth cap for the new tiers. If they do then I imagine there will be a lot of people switching to residential accounts.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by doubleohwhat:

On the other hand, I'm keeping a VERY close eye on the new service tiers we're supposed to be seeing announced in March. If they want to charge an arm and a leg for the business variants of the new tiers, I'll definitely be looking into switching to two or three residential accounts. Three of the 24/3 plans would give me 750GB of bandwidth and combined speeds of 72/9 for less than $250 a month. I already use a threaded file transfer application to send and receive video footage. So the combined lines would really work just as well as a single line with the same speeds for my purposes.

You may want to make absolutely sure that AT&T will allow multiple U-verse residential accounts at the same address. I am no longer an AT&T HSI customer because I had been load balancing two AT&T DSL circuits for several years, and then with no advance warning, AT&T shut one of my accounts down and informed me that AT&T no longer allows multiple residential accounts at the same address. »Edited title: AT&T only taketh away
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
I download 2TB a month on my U-Verse line. No notice no overcharges here in Miami.
mbellaire
join:2007-12-16
Canton, MI

mbellaire to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
said by doubleohwhat:

I'm keeping a VERY close eye on the new service tiers we're supposed to be seeing announced in March.

Are these new service tiers for business only, or for both business and residential? Any details on what the changes will be?
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by mbellaire:

Are these new service tiers for business only, or for both business and residential? Any details on what the changes will be?

AT&T hasn't released any details to my knowledge. All I know is that there is supposed to be some kind of announcement in March.