uniqs
share rss forum feed

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

portable power solution?

I've been looking for a portable power solution for my vacations and times away from the plug, I found the duracell Powersource Mobile 100 which looks like a good option but it seems they don't make them anymore basically all I need is a standard wall outlet in a portable container that wouldn't seem out of place when using on a plane. The duracell was perfect but I can't find an alternative, can someone help?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Need a little more info...

What are you looking to power, where, for how long; and how portable a unit are you after?

Most planes have power at the seat these days, so a non-issue there...

»www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4···ocale=en

It's a battery booster, but it includes a built-in inverter - but not exactly something you're throwing in your carry-on, either...

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to eeeaddict

You can't just sit back and relax and let some one else do the driving for a short period of time?

I have always used my fly time as a "no work zone", chill out and relax.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to eeeaddict

I have a Duracell Powersource Mobile 100. It got about an extra half hour on my Toshiba thin and light laptop (i5-520, IIRC). It was very disappointing, because the battery's size would indicate it should have lasted several times longer. The batteries are supposed to be 44 Wh, but in practice it delivers perhaps a quarter of that. Oh, and when the battery runs out, it sets off an extremely loud and shrill alarm. Wasn't THAT fun riding on a bus in the US the first time it happened. Anyhow, this sort of device is terribly wasteful, because you have to convert from DC to AC back to DC again.

Anyhow, you're going to have better luck with device-specific power sources. You shouldn't need anything on aircraft, since most aircraft have AC and USB plugs for power these days (Air Canada's do anyhow).

For powering any USB device, I'm very happy with my NewTrent IMP120D:

»www.newtrent.com/icarrier.html

44 Wh battery, two USB ports (can charge two things simultaneously). One port is a full amp (good for charging phones) another port is two amps (can charge an iPad at full speed). Since most portable devices can charge over USB, this thing is pretty useful. I've used it to charge my iPhone, iPad, Nintendo 3DS, a friend's PSP, various Android devices... When I was in Japan, I was the only one with a really high capacity battery, so let me tell you I was very popular, my friends were always asking me if they could put their phones in my bag to charge their stuff

For laptops, there are laptop-specific batteries you can get. If you have a mac, the HyperMac guys are considered the best (but a bit expensive):

»www.hypershop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=132

For PCs, there are innumerable options. I've never used any, so I can't specifically suggest any, but there are tons of them out there, and Tom's Hardware did a roundup in late 2011.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to joeblow3

said by joeblow3:

You can't just sit back and relax and let some one else do the driving for a short period of time?

I have always used my fly time as a "no work zone", chill out and relax.

Hard to chill out and relax if all your entertainment devices are out of juice. If you didn't even bring a dead tree book with you, that 12 hour flight to Tokyo gets old real fast
--

eeeaddict

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable
reply to LazMan

thanks for the reply, I need to power a bunch of ac adapters (ie dslr charger though mostly for laptops while on the go, Ie in a bus or plane (most planes in eastern Europe still don't have seat power ) I thought of the battery booster but its too big to throw in a bag.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to eeeaddict

Wouldn't it be better to purchase a second battery for that notebook and have it charged when you go?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to eeeaddict

All consumer electronics, like a laptop or DSLR are ultimately DC devices, and converting from a DC battery to AC back to DC again is extremely wasteful. It produces a ton of waste heat and burns a lot of extra battery capacity. As such, using an AC adapter brick to get power from a DC battery to a DC device should be avoided.

I'm not aware of any USB power adapters for DSLRs, since DSLRs are rarely 5v (hence why few cameras can charge from USB), but there are definitely external battery packs for DSLRs available. Why you'd want or need to charge a DSLR on an airplane is beyond me, however.
--

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to eeeaddict

you can get 12v voltage adjusters. Usually need 2 seperate devices, one for voltage up and one for voltage down. I have one that will do 19 volts. Works great with my laptop in my car

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to eeeaddict

I fully concur with joeblow on this one. Just buy a second laptop battery and keep it fully charged when you travel.

eeeaddict

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

I would but besides most of my laptops having sealed batteries I need to charge a bunch of stuff and well to buy a bunch of second batteries for all my gear would be a lot more $$$ than something like the duracel product I wanted though is now discontinued

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to eeeaddict

Sony used to sell portable power supplies. A friend used to use one, but wasn't that impressed by it for laptops. Sony Canada doesn't sell the high power item:

»store.sony.com/c/S_Portable_Powe···r_Supply

I couldn't find the equiv on the Canadian site, but maybe searching other sites for portable USB chargers will point you in the right direction.

»store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/···66333670

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to eeeaddict

What do you mean your laptops have "sealed batteries?" Of course you don't buy individual cells and roll your own. They come with sealed battery packs that snap in and out of the laptop.

Unless you are talking about your laptop being sealed with no way to remove or exchange the battery? That's an arrangement I've never seen except for tablet computers. And tablet batteries are usually good for 8 to 12 hours.

Anyway, an aftermarket battery pack for the average laptop costs well under a hundred dollars these days and if you can afford that many 12 hour plane trips you can easily spare a hundred bucks for a spare battery pack.

Besides, how much gear do you travel with anyway? I could easily see maybe a smart phone, a laptop and possibly a digital camera. I suppose an MP3 player or and iPod as well.

Ask yourself if it's really necessary to haul that much crap along on a trip. And who the hell needs to charge a phone and a camera on an airplane flight?

One laptop, with a spare battery pack will keep you occupied and entertained for up to 16 hours straight on most modern laptops, as well as provide a USB charging current for your phone and mp3 player if necessary. And screw the camera. A spare camera battery is like $20 for most cameras.

So what else are you charging on these trans global flights that you require bringing along your own AC Generator?

Incidentally, since 911 there are TSA limits on how many extra batteries you can board a plane with in your carry ons these days.

eeeaddict

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

By sealed I meant the ones in my macbooks (you haven't been able to change the battery on ANY since 2009) also it's not mainly for plane rides I just used that as example, a big one is bus travel because often I do not have a plug for hours.
Oh and about gear, most of it is camera related stuff I need to charge on the go like flashes or dslr accessories and I find it a lot easier to be able to grab one device rather than make sure I have batteries for everything I need.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to eeeaddict

You'll be hard pressed to find something that's powered by lithium based batteries AND has a 110 volt AC inverter. The vast majority of products out there that have a battery and an inverter onboard are going to be lead acid (UPS products, in other words), and very unsuitable for mobile use. Because of how wasteful the double inversion process is, there's not much of a market for them.

Cameras and flashes really shouldn't be a problem. Buy enough spare batteries to last you between charging opportunities, charge them when you can. There's a reason why there are virtually no external battery products for cameras on the market; they're not useful. This is a problem that an enormous number of people have faced before, and they've all solved it by just carrying spare batteries for their cameras.

Most other things can be powered by USB, and if you get an external battery for the macbook, then by extension IT can charge almost everything else. So really, you only need one external battery, and just carry spares for stuff like cameras and other accessories.

You may also want to try consulting JF, who every year goes on an extended bike trip relying entirely on solar and battery power to cover his boombox, DSLR, laptop, cellphone, etc. The length of his most recent trip was from Montreal to Hudson's Bay: well over a thousand kilometers by bike with only a solar panel and battery on the back of his bike to power all his gadgets.
--

eeeaddict

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

good point about the macbook as a charger even though it is a bit slow, I decided to follow this guide since I have spares for most things except laptop: »www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/290546···-battery

also looks like JF is a man of many talents, gona search for the thread because the trip seems pretty interesting

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to eeeaddict

I'm not sure if JF had a thread where he really discussed that stuff, I think it might have been around the time he was quitting DSLR. You might want to try hitting him up on Twitter.
--

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

You'll be hard pressed to find something that's powered by lithium based batteries AND has a 110 volt AC inverter. The vast majority of products out there that have a battery and an inverter onboard are going to be lead acid (UPS products, in other words), and very unsuitable for mobile use. Because of how wasteful the double inversion process is, there's not much of a market for them.

You can't take lithium batteries on a plane anyways, so they'd be useless to the OP.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit

That's completely false. You can't check lithium batteries, but you can bring a ridiculously large amount in carry-on. Each battery must be below 100 watt hours, although they also allow up to two larger batteries of at most 300 watt hours, and the FAA explicitly says these are typically laptop extended run batteries.

In other words, for all practical purposes, there are no restrictions on carrying lithium ion batteries on an aircraft that anybody would care about. No portable consumer device that I'm aware of has a battery bigger than 100 Wh, and they even have a special case to allow much larger extended run batteries.

EDIT: Examples:

FAA FAQ: »www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea···ries.pdf

Department of Transportation:

»safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

Note the DoT even shows a picture of an external laptop battery as their example of one of the between-8-and-25-grams category.
--

wheeled

join:2004-12-31
Edmonton, AB
reply to eeeaddict

I have used these Powersource by Xantrex for years. purchased at Can Tire. they are no longer available but i had found two last year at the Bay and purchased as a backup.my original 100 i purchased in 2006 has not failed yet so i have not had a need to use the two new in box ones yet.

»www.ebay.com/itm/Xpower-Pocket-P···2220f732

»www.ebay.com/itm/Xantrex-Xpower-···6973fb21

also a few used items of the Duracell brand Powersource models.

Good Luck

W

Just remembered another place.

»www.backup-power.ca/lightweightp···cks.html