join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to Rebrider

Premium Member

to Rebrider

Re: Which Free AV To Use? - Avast Paid Is Expiring

Thanks Rebrider See Profile for the great post. I am careful where I go and have also been online since dialup. I think that I've had one virus about 5 or 6 years ago.

The machine that I want to protect is my laptop which I do not use every day. I really only go to certain mainstream sites with it, and I know that if you have to stray, Google with WOT are your friends.

Because I do not use my laptop every day, I've been thinking of trying a free program like MSE. Avast expires in 15 days. I will post what I end up using.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Gee then Avast free, maybe less features and control same basic stuff. So go free with what you have now.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

1 recommendation

fuziwuzi to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

Thanks Rebrider See Profile for the great post. I am careful where I go and have also been online since dialup. I think that I've had one virus about 5 or 6 years ago.

The machine that I want to protect is my laptop which I do not use every day. I really only go to certain mainstream sites with it, and I know that if you have to stray, Google with WOT are your friends.

Because I do not use my laptop every day, I've been thinking of trying a free program like MSE. Avast expires in 15 days. I will post what I end up using.

I've tried all the free options and I stick with MSE (on my Win7 Ultimate 64). None of the others come close to being as resource-stingy as MSE. I honestly never know it is there unless the few times it has tagged a potential malware in something I've downloaded. As the other guy said, the best defense is being a smart user.