Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rebel
El Loco

join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC

My Friend with a modem question?

Hey ya'll, a good friend of mine has a question regarding his modem stats. I told him I would get back with him on the answer as soon as I found out. Anyways, he wants to know if his modem stats are any good or not. Let me know. Thanks!!

Downstream: Bonding Channel Value:

Channel ID: 212 209 210 211
Frequency: 645000000HZ 627000000HZ 633000000HZ 639000000HZ
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB 37 dB 37dB 37dB
Downstream Modulation: QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level: -5 dBmV -5dBmV -4dBmV -5dBmV

Upstream: Bonding Channel Value:

Channel ID: 3
Frequency: 33000000HZ
Ranging Service ID: 2019
Symbol Rate: 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level: 55dBmV
Upstream Modulation: [3] 16QAM
[3] 64QAM
Ranging Status: Success

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:2

Downstream looks good but the upstream power level is right on the raggedy edge. The guy that installed my modem told me that anything higher than 55 dBmv would cause problems. (I'm at 53 dBmv with no issues).

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

Yup, the up stream is iffy, not much room for error. 56-57db will cause an automatic modem reboot to keep the modem from frying itself attempting to push too much power out the line. It'll be something to watch.

Rebel
El Loco

join:2007-04-26
Greenville, NC

So his Downstream is fine and nothing to worry about any right? But his Upstream is kinda iffy. How abouts can he get his Upstream better....does he need to call Suddenlink or is there anything he can do about it?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Short of getting one of the plant guys/RF engineers looking into it, he'll just have to wait until it starts disconnecting him. That upstream level would usually be from a bad splitter/wire in the house (but the down levels look fine, so probably not), bad drop line, bad or out of calibration line amp, excessive distance to the first amp, or a LOT of interference on the line making the modem "shout" to be heard over it.

Again, you'd need to get a plant guy to look into it, but I have absolutely no idea how an end user would get ahold of one. :s Calling in will get you no where as they will just look at their screen, see your modem is online at the moment, and possibly offer a truck roll (which would also be slim to no help).
--
30/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

sj

join:2007-08-21
Winterville, NC
reply to Rebel

The numbers are not hard to correct if something inside is causing the drop. If there is any kind of splitter/attenuator on the line, at -5/+55 removing it would put the signal levels at a great level. Raising one number lowers the other. I.e. removing a 6dB loss splitter would put the downstream around 0 and the upstream around 50 if not into the upper 40s.

Expand your moderator at work

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to sj

Re: My Friend with a modem question?

anderson01... The modem in question to our knowledge isn't actually having any issues, it's just very close. So I really don't know what troubles you are having with your setup. I would recommend you start up a new thread so we don't hijack this one.