join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by silvercat:

....As you know, what could also cause congestion is having too many close neighbours using the 2.4 Ghz wireless network.

Good catch !

So if direct works better (or do it anyway) maybe try setting your WiFi to use a different channel ?

6 is default on most routers, so adjust router to try 3 or 9, or even further away from 6 than that.

Even better, if you do a 'site survey' with one of the computers (or sometimes can do this from the router itself), it may tell you what other WiFi networks are nearby and which channels they are using, so that you can avoid them as much as possible.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Or maybe just use a dual-band router with great range (such as the Asus RT-N66U) and use the 5 Ghz radio whenever possible
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by silvercat:

....As you know, what could also cause congestion is having too many close neighbours using the 2.4 Ghz wireless network.

Good catch !

So if direct works better (or do it anyway) maybe try setting your WiFi to use a different channel ?

6 is default on most routers, so adjust router to try 3 or 9, or even further away from 6 than that.

Even better, if you do a 'site survey' with one of the computers (or sometimes can do this from the router itself), it may tell you what other WiFi networks are nearby and which channels they are using, so that you can avoid them as much as possible.

If only we can use channel 14...
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

Anything going on in my neck of the woods today ? Internet is acting strange. I have had to do manual refresh to get some pages to start loading. When I checked the speeds on speedtest.net well I also had it where things stalled but when I got the test to work it showed the fastest speeds I have had in awhile on download. 24+ Mbps DL Nice to have that but hate refreshing so much.

SDSarnia
@start.ca

SDSarnia

Anon

said by DeViLzzz:

Anything going on in my neck of the woods today ? Internet is acting strange. I have had to do manual refresh to get some pages to start loading. When I checked the speeds on speedtest.net well I also had it where things stalled but when I got the test to work it showed the fastest speeds I have had in awhile on download. 24+ Mbps DL Nice to have that but hate refreshing so much.

Guys it seems it was a Firefox issue. I haven't had any problems with this browser in awhile but something isn't right with it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
Can you try direct to modem? Refreshing is often a symptom of NAT tables being broken, ie router failure.

edit: Odd it was the browser, glad you figured it out.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to SDSarnia

to SDSarnia
said by SDSarnia :

said by DeViLzzz:

Guys it seems it was a Firefox issue. I haven't had any problems with this browser in awhile but something isn't right with it.

its usually an addon that might muck it up
ShetiPhian
join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian

said by vincom:

said by SDSarnia :

said by DeViLzzz:

its usually an addon that might muck it up

Themes will too.
I recently installed one and my forward and back buttons would often double and triple click.
After changing to another everything worked correctly again.