Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Searchindexer?

said by Mele20:

I tried that. It won't allow it apply to subfolders and files. So, indexer would still run.

It should not, if you turn it off for the DRIVE then you can't change the setting for subfolders and files, because it's already off for the drive.

Just uncheck the drive checkbox and it's off.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, I think you are wrong. I was given two choices:

1. turn it off for the C drive

2. turn it off for the C drive and also for the subfolders and files on that drive

I chose number 2 choice and then was not allowed to do that because I am running as Admin but NOT as the default hidden Admin account. I have that account unhidden and password protected but I wasn't on it and evidently only on that account can I fully turn off indexing on the drive where the page file sits. Plus, I was not allowed to turn off indexing AT ALL for the paging file.

It was NOT turned off at all when I was told that I couldn't turn it off for both the C drive and the C's subfolders andf files. (Actually, I was told I could turn it off if I used the default hidden admin account which made no sense that UAC would be interfering since I have UAC completely turned off in the registry). Plus, I was told indexing cannot be turned off on the paging file if it is in use. It is always in use...sooo....

I could choose number 2 for my D drive which is my data drive. No UAC prompt and no complaint about the paging file. It was ON for Drive D when I unchecked the box in "turn it off for the d drive and also for the subfolders and files on that drive" and it worked with no UAC prompt and no complaint about the paging file (which is not on the D drive).

You are wrong.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

You are wrong.

Ok. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help.