JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3

Re: Linux Devs Working On Uniting Windows 8 Secure Boot Fixes

Remember when the UEFI news broke and everyone was sure this was Microsoft's plot to prevent Linux on desktop PCs?

»Windows 8 Secure Boot Would 'Exclude' Linux

Good times, good times.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

1 recommendation

TuxRaiderPen2

said by JohnInSJ:
Remember when the UEFI news broke and everyone was sure this was Microsoft's plot to prevent Linux on desktop PCs?

»Windows 8 Secure Boot Would 'Exclude' Linux

Good times, good times.

You and others can continue to refuse to see this for what it is, and its goal, others will not drink the flavorade and fall for this.

This whole mess shouldn't even be taking place, period. The BIOS OEM's should be installing key or keys for Linux for those who wish to use this specious feature. This is where lack of Linux Inc. severely hurts and hampers Linux. Canoncial tried this in a manner before get run over by the bus, train, truck, tank and everything else....

This is classic ms at its normal EEE.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Good times, good times.

I'm not so sure.

On the one hand, MS has set the stage, achieving dominance in the PC market with an intrinsically vulnerable OS. It's getting better, no doubt, but the legacy is crippling. OTOH, I imagine Unix-like operating systems will need to provide a comparable level of security to be relevant to government, business, and other consumers.

I don't know the details of what is involved, here, but I don't think MS is any more accepting of competitors WRT this technology or any other than is revealed in the Halloween Documents

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but clearly the PC landscape now is radically -one might say laughingly- different than it was in '98. Linux remains the same non-threat it was then to Microsoft, while the actual real threat (that people simply stop buying fixed desktops and even laptops, and instead spend 90% of their time on their phones and 10% of their time on a tablet NOT running Linux or Windows, but rather iOS or the abomination that is Android) is the threat Microsoft is doing everything to counter in order to survive.

Secure boot is much more about security, and (as has been demonstrated by the first post, above) did nothing to prevent Linux from being used on machines with it.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

Laugh and mock at will. MS has not changed its spots. Some value the philosophy that is FOSS. Others, an increasingly higher percentage, perhaps, see only the short term personal benefits of low-cost/no-cost software.

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3

Anon

said by rolfp:

Laugh and mock at will. MS has not changed its spots.

Exactly. +1000

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to rolfp

Premium Member

to rolfp
said by rolfp:

Laugh and mock at will. MS has not changed its spots. Some value the philosophy that is FOSS. Others, an increasingly higher percentage, perhaps, see only the short term personal benefits of low-cost/no-cost software.

Yep, I am a long time Linux user. And a long time Microsoft user. And a long time Apple user. I'm just not a convert to the religion.

No need to preach to me, I just don't see Microsoft as the Great Satan these days. They may have been, in the 80s & 90s. Now they're just another large company, doing what large companies do.