Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

Re: [Connectivity] Dropping connections, several tech visits, no

said by Darknessfall:

Are you sure the problem is at your modem and not your router? You also mention that you're using wireless. Maybe your router's wireless is failing ? I have no clue to be honest though.

When you are dealing with Apple hardware, a failure is unlikely. Several of my friends use Apple routers and they have had zero issues with them. We're talking a $179 piece of hardware. If it was a cheap router, I would consider that a possible issue but the numbers on the modem suggest that it is either an issue with Comcast or the modem, especially with the high number of uncorrectables on downstream 4. I am kind of hesitant to swap the modem as I have an 8x4 and would end up with a 4x4 but I am probably going to do that to rule out the modem.

2.4 ghz cordless phones can cause issues with routers but my cordless phone set is a newer Panasonic DECT 6.0. The other unit in my duplex is currently vacant. I can also see (through Apple System Profiler) what frequencies that the other routers (with a visible SSID) are broadcasting on so I changed the channel on my router to one that is not used by the other routers in the area.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

When you are dealing with Apple hardware, a failure is unlikely. Several of my friends use Apple routers and they have had zero issues with them. We're talking a $179 piece of hardware. If it was a cheap router, I would consider that a possible issue...

Well, there we have it; the definitive answer.

Are you aware that some of us earn(ed) a living replacing enterprise level network equipment that sells for multiple thousands of dollars, but nonetheless still fails quite frequently? As for Apple hardware not failing, I won't bother to contradict that since such heresy would fall on deaf ears.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by Darknessfall:

Are you sure the problem is at your modem and not your router? You also mention that you're using wireless. Maybe your router's wireless is failing ? I have no clue to be honest though.

When you are dealing with Apple hardware, a failure is unlikely. Several of my friends use Apple routers and they have had zero issues with them. We're talking a $179 piece of hardware. If it was a cheap router, I would consider that a possible issue but the numbers on the modem suggest that it is either an issue with Comcast or the modem, especially with the high number of uncorrectables on downstream 4. I am kind of hesitant to swap the modem as I have an 8x4 and would end up with a 4x4 but I am probably going to do that to rule out the modem.

2.4 ghz cordless phones can cause issues with routers but my cordless phone set is a newer Panasonic DECT 6.0. The other unit in my duplex is currently vacant. I can also see (through Apple System Profiler) what frequencies that the other routers (with a visible SSID) are broadcasting on so I changed the channel on my router to one that is not used by the other routers in the area.

You can always try to exchange the modem if you wanted but like you said you may get a 4x4. I don't think the modem would change anything though since your modem is probably using channel 4 as it's main channel. I would rule out wireless congestion though since I doubt it would be enough to cause your network to fully stop.

If you decide you want to try another router to see if the issue stops I suggest you buy and try:
»www.bestbuy.com/site/Asu ··· =6639317

You can also return it if the issue is still there.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

When you are dealing with Apple hardware, a failure is unlikely. Several of my friends use Apple routers and they have had zero issues with them. We're talking a $179 piece of hardware.

i don't know what you're smoking but in our manufacturing company, we have both macs and pc's on the network.....

we have one mac that's always a problem child even after repeated attempts to fix it...and yes, we do have an IT dept that's very capable but the macs came into play after our VP who probably smokes the same stuff you do, has so much to say about Apple...

not because it's Apple and costs your newborn child doesn't mean it will not fail. and just because of this, you won't even try isolating it as it maybe the problem child?

EDIT: seeing that you're a complete Apple setup guy, just try another router, heck even another apple router just for the sake of troubleshooting...
Expand your moderator at work