share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to TCO1962

Re: Help? MBP down, on vacations..

If it were me on an extended vacation that this happened to I would just buy a new computer and put the broken one away until I got home. Then worry about repairs, salvaging data, etc back at home when I had more time and resources. No sense ruining a good vacation trying to fix a computer.

tango_bob
VIP
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL
reply to TCO1962

What happens if you select OSX as the start up partition?

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to TCO1962

Obviously you can't run time machine as you are only able to get to the recovery partition. However, I would pick up an external hard drive and then install the OS on that. After the install boot to the external drive and then you will need to grab the user folder from the internal drive if you can. If the drive is failing you may not be able to get everything. After all that take it back to the apple store and they should get the HD replaced/fixed (it might just need to be re-partitioned) for you. BTW the guy at the apple store you went to probably didn't know how to deliver the bad news that you would lose your data. Apple doesn't provide data recovery. Once you get it back from apple make sure you the account you create is made with a different name than you were using before. Finally, you will copy your user folder back to the users directory on the new internal hard drive and then create a new user with the same name. You should get a prompt that there is already a folder with that user name and ask if you want to use it. That way your permissions aren't hosed. Now you can log out and back in again with your new/old account and delete the temporary one.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to TCO1962

Re: Help? MBP down, on vacations..LONG story

said by TCO1962:

In case you missed it, I'm not home.

You complained that you would just "run to Best Buy and have them do it" a couple posts ago, now you say you can't.

In the spirit of helpful, since you said you can boot to the recovery partition, here is how I would go about it.

1) Acquire External Hard Drive (you mentioned getting to Best Buy earlier)
2) In recovery partition open Disk Utility (at the top under "utilities"
3) Click your OSX drive and click "Image"
4) Select your external drive as the target
5) Format your internal drive
6) Reinstall OSX (which you CAN DO if you're getting to the recovery partition
7) Open the disk image once back inside OSX and copy back any data you want.

Hope that helps. Short of reinstalling the OS to rule out hardware failure, you're SOL at this point.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TCO1962

said by TCO1962:

said by tango_bob:

If you're only able to post using the get help online screen, it sounds like you're booted into the recovery partition. Try starting up holding down the option key and see if the macintosh hd shows up, highlight that and see if it boots.

When trying that, the two things that show up are OSX and Recovery disk. I'm assuming the lack of macintosh hd being there isn't a good thing right?

OSX is basically "Normal Boot" under Windows, and Recovery is the recovery partition.

TCO1962
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL
reply to tango_bob

said by tango_bob:

If you're only able to post using the get help online screen, it sounds like you're booted into the recovery partition. Try starting up holding down the option key and see if the macintosh hd shows up, highlight that and see if it boots.

When trying that, the two things that show up are OSX and Recovery disk. I'm assuming the lack of macintosh hd being there isn't a good thing right?

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL

1 edit
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74:

said by TCO1962:

Thanks for the suggestion/s. Why Apple wouldn't do that when I was there with an appointment is beyond me. I was/am at a point where I want it to work, badly, and I made that abundantly clear.

Hate to say it but I might hit a Best Buy store and see if they can get it done stat. Couldn't hurt.

Talk about putting a damper on an otherwise perfectly planned vacation!

Thanks!

Others?

P.S. They (Apple) jacked with it some because I'm hitting random forums (here and elsewhere) that won't allow me to access because of parental controls?! WTH?

For what it's worth, your whining is getting you no sympathy. If you've ever done repair work, you should know at this point to do backups, even if it is twice a year, so you aren't in this situation. I understand it sucks now and there is not much you can do, but whining about it isn't going to move you forward. Be thankful you can at least get into the OS.

You want Best Buy to do the data transfer when the built in utilities are easy already? Now you're just wasting money. They will charge over $100 plus storage media for something you can do yourself. All you have to do is connect the external drive, it will ask if you want to use it for time machine, you hit yes, and away it goes.

Now, what *I* would personally do is go to Best Buy, grab an external drive on sale, use time machine, then boot into the recovery partition (hold R on bootup), wipe the internal drive clean, then reinstall OSX. Once that is done, you can truly see if it was your hard drive or some low-level operating system files that were corrupted.

As far as your PS, this only goes to show that the underlying system is continuing to degrade. Permissions are not set right and are starting to screw with the user accounts. You either need to stop using it until you have a solution down pat and work fast, or else you risk being completely separated from your data.

I'm not "whining" and want nothing to do with your "sympathy". I'm on a web site that I've been on for quite some time now. It's a place where people ask questions, people provide answers/opinions. Yes, I said "sorry about the whining" because I figured someone would come along and make a statement just like yours.

Other than that, thanks for your suggestions. They're appreciated. All things I would do under normal circumstnaces. In case you missed it, I'm not home. Have been on a couple of cruises where Best Buy's, etc are not common. Best Buy wouldn't charge btw but you're right, I could do it myself, especially under normal circumstances (which I'm a long way from right now).

Now I'm at a condo and chose not to rent a car. I did make it to an Apple Store for help at one point during the ordeal (wanted answers and wanted it fixed) and got jack shit out of the deal. I'm surprised no one found that messed up but I guess here everyone knows what to do on their own and has never messed with the "Genius" people. ?

IF I had one thing with me besides my laptop I could have done some things. It's a tad different when you're not at home and have no access to all your things.

Sorry about my whining..Hope you have a nice day.

Oh, about your take on the P.S.? That happened after the Genius' at the Apple store messed with it. Nothing else has changed.

tango_bob
VIP
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL
reply to TCO1962

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to TCO1962

said by TCO1962:

Thanks for the suggestion/s. Why Apple wouldn't do that when I was there with an appointment is beyond me. I was/am at a point where I want it to work, badly, and I made that abundantly clear.

Hate to say it but I might hit a Best Buy store and see if they can get it done stat. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks!

Others?

P.S. They (Apple) jacked with it some because I'm hitting random forums (here and elsewhere) that won't allow me to access because of parental controls?! WTH?

For what it's worth, your whining is getting you no sympathy. If you've ever done repair work, you should know at this point to do backups, even if it is twice a year, so you aren't in this situation. I understand it sucks now and there is not much you can do, but whining about it isn't going to move you forward. Be thankful you can at least get into the OS.

You want Best Buy to do the data transfer when the built in utilities are easy already? Now you're just wasting money. They will charge over $100 plus storage media for something you can do yourself. All you have to do is connect the external drive, it will ask if you want to use it for time machine, you hit yes, and away it goes.

Now, what *I* would personally do is go to Best Buy, grab an external drive on sale, use time machine, then boot into the recovery partition (hold R on bootup), wipe the internal drive clean, then reinstall OSX. Once that is done, you can truly see if it was your hard drive or some low-level operating system files that were corrupted.

As far as your PS, this only goes to show that the underlying system is continuing to degrade. Permissions are not set right and are starting to screw with the user accounts. You either need to stop using it until you have a solution down pat and work fast, or else you risk being completely separated from your data.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to TCO1962

Try launching system preferences through the Command Line panel: "Applications/System Preferences.app"

Also try "sudo chmod 775 /Applications/System\ Preferences.app"
or repairing permissions through Disk Utility.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

Should be able to turn those off easily in System Preferences.

I can't get to system preferences though (that I'm aware of). Thanks for that suggestion though. Seriously.

The only way I'm even posting on it now is thru the OS X Utilities screen under "get help online".

I'm all ears people!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to TCO1962

Should be able to turn those off easily in System Preferences.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL
reply to sk1939

Thanks!

Others?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TCO1962

said by TCO1962:

That doesn't sound good. fwiw, I'm on a pretty long vacation and don't have jack with me to "do" anything. Really thought the visit to an Apple Store should have gave some solid answers and or fixes whatever it may be. Almost got off the ship when docked one day to run to the Apple Store. Thanks goodness I didn't. Would have been a major hassle and I still wouldn't know or have s**t!

Still amazed with the Apple Store experience.

Was well versed in Windows repairs and fixes not so long ago but admittedly don't know much about "working" on Macs. One of the main reasons I converted the whole family over to Apple. One would know, the MBP with THE most important crap on it that I NEED now takes a dump on me (at the worst time possible). *Sorry for the whining*

I guess if you guys are pretty convinced this is screwed I can buy another one and try some of the recovery ideas I get here.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other input greatly appreciated.

Buy an external hard drive when your in port at some point and backup what you can (using Time Machine or otherwise). It does sound like the hard drive is failing. If it isn't, it's something even more finicky and expensive.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL
reply to TCO1962

That doesn't sound good. fwiw, I'm on a pretty long vacation and don't have jack with me to "do" anything. Really thought the visit to an Apple Store should have gave some solid answers and or fixes whatever it may be. Almost got off the ship when docked one day to run to the Apple Store. Thanks goodness I didn't. Would have been a major hassle and I still wouldn't know or have s**t!

Still amazed with the Apple Store experience.

Was well versed in Windows repairs and fixes not so long ago but admittedly don't know much about "working" on Macs. One of the main reasons I converted the whole family over to Apple. One would know, the MBP with THE most important crap on it that I NEED now takes a dump on me (at the worst time possible). *Sorry for the whining*

I guess if you guys are pretty convinced this is screwed I can buy another one and try some of the recovery ideas I get here.

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other input greatly appreciated.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to brhalltx

said by brhalltx:

Sounds like a corrupted and/or failing hard disk. Put the computer into target disk mode, connect it to another Mac, and see if you can copy any data off. Run DiskWarrior on it and try copying data off of it again.

I agree, failing hard drive. Copy what you can off of it, replace the hard drive, start new.

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX
reply to TCO1962

Sounds like a corrupted and/or failing hard disk. Put the computer into target disk mode, connect it to another Mac, and see if you can copy any data off. Run DiskWarrior on it and try copying data off of it again.

TCO1962
Premium
Champaign, IL

1 edit

Help? MBP down, on vacations..

Hey guys. Need some opinions and advice on a dandy little fiasco.

Mid 2010 MBP, backups, nearly none..Shudder to think how much is on here but I THINK it's recoverable. Hope the MBP is able to "come back" too. Looking for opinions/help.

We've been travelling and my net situation/land options have been limited hence limited research on this wonderful event.

I've had no net (for the most part, couple crusise and now in FL) to see if I have hope or not. Really need some help from my DSLR crew.

The first night of the cruise I do my ritual of dumping and sorting pics from the day. Between the wife and I we take too many. I added a new camera so was really going nuts. The reason I mention this is these were 32 GB cards (one I had never used before) and that's also the last time I saw my MBP in it's former glory.

MBP has been a little flakey of late but not bad..

Here's the deal...made folders for this trip, etc. Dumped the wifes card for the day (make sub folders for each day)..Went to dump my new card and the MBP wouldn't "recognize" it. Thought what the hell, figured a reboot wouldn't hurt as it had been awhile. That's the last time my MBP was seen as it's former self. I get the gray screen with the apple and the turning gear, that's it (unless I do command R and get where I'm at now.

Was able to get back to the repair/recovery page and use net (what I'm doing now). A crew member (officer actually) who is into Macs helped as much as he could and also made several calls to the IT guys onboard who were all Mac nuts. We ran verify, etc and found lots of problems, did repairs to those all to no avail. I had no disc with me either. It seems it's getting "stuck" somewhere in the start/boot. I don't know much about the Macs. Used to know a waaay too much on how to work on windows and have been happy with MAC for a good while now.

Hit the Apple Store at the Gallaria Mall in Fort Luaderdale first think off the ship. The Genius' appeared to be slightly short of living up to that term. They wanted to install the OS again. Came back an hour later and they said it wouldn't let that happen. Said somehing about my drive "might" be messed up or screwed. I mentioned that I can still see free space specs, etc so was thinking the drive was at least slavagable. Well, he thought that might be true too. Said when I get home take it to my home Apple Store and maybe they could figurre it out!? Ended up saying he was pretty sure we'd be able to pull data and get it fixed afer that. WTF? 3 hours for that?! I went there to have it "fixed"! lol

Sorry so long. Yes, I'm a moron for the lack of recent back ups.

Any help or commentary greatly appreciated!