Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[WIN8] What happens if you install Win 8 CP or RP now?

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
Click for full size
Picture #3

Picture #4
I was trying to figure out if there was a need to keep my ISO files and DVD copies of both the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the Windows 8 Release Preview.

Knowing that Windows 8 is now officially out, and both of the previews expired on 01/15/2013, I feel I don't need to hang onto them anymore.

But, before I pitched them, I did a little test. I went ahead and installed today Windows 8 Consumer Preview. In fact, I'm writing this post from inside of that OS right now.

I had no issues doing the install. Sure, the license clearly states people should not use it after 01/15/2013. Yet, I had no issues installing it after that date, and using it.

Few things of note. First, I cannot activate windows with the key that I had (which of course is the same key everyone had). See Pictures #1 thru #3.

Also, if I type "Winver" I get what is shown in Picture #4. No note there about it expiring on 01/15/2013 @ 6:59 PM.

Of course, since Windows is not activated, I cannot change things like my login picture, lock screen, or Start Screen color or background.

Not to mention, the Consumer Preview came out on 02/29/2012 (almost a year ago now). There have probably been tons of modifications and changes to get it to the official release.

Finally, I have no idea how long it will run. Knowing its not activated, it will probably do something every so often. What that is I don't know at this point. I may leave it up and see what happens.

In any case, I just wanted to point this out. I guess I am kind of surprised that I was able to actually install it. I would have thought there would be some kind of check during the install to see if it is after 01/15/2013, and not allow the install to continue.

By the way, I'm going to do a similar test with the Release Preview next, and see how that goes. I have a feeling it will go the same way as the Consumer Preview, with no indication of how long it will actually work at this point.

Thoughts?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Keep them until you are absolutely sure you'll never need them again or they are taking up space and have not been used since original install.

David
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I probably will hold onto them. Having 2 DVD's does not take up that much physical space in my house. I also have no need to remove the ISO's, as the drive that I have them on is a 500 GB drive, with just about 350 GB free.

It was more of a question of "what happens when I install this today" then anything.

As I noted in my original post, I did the install of Win 8 Consumer Preview today. According to task manager, the system uptime at this point is just over 2 hours.

I've not seen any messages about a pending reboot, or loss of my data (don't really have to worry about that, as I have no data anyway at this point). Things that I know don't work are making changes to my login picture, the lock screen image, and the start screen colors / background. Also, whatever bitmap I use for my desktop image, I get the watermark in the bottom right corner. Again, this is all because the OS is not registered.

Not to mention, whatever changes have been made between this version and the final version would of course not be present now.

Again, I wonder how long it will run like this before I notice something that causes an issue (reboots every so often, loss of data, inability to boot or login, etc). So far, none of that has happened.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Laramar

join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN
Does the loophole exist where if you install Windows Media Center in the release preview, Windows 8 activates permanently?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Not sure yet. I've still got the consumer preview installed at this point. When I do that test later (either yet today or tomorrow), I see what happens.

System Uptime is now 2 hours, and 23 minutes. Still no sign of "odd stuff" taking place.

--Brian

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
Well, I went out of the house for a bit to run to the store, and left things up and running (just turned off the monitor). Came back home, and things were as I left them.

No reboot, no message about things not working. System uptime is now over 5 hours.

So, I did a reboot (first reboot btw since the install was complete). Was able to login without a problem. No messages, warnings, or pop-ups about things going to stop working, or that I need to uninstall and install a real version, etc.

I did clear the event logs before the reboot. Once the reboot was done, I see no Critical or Error events. I have only 2 warning events. One has to do with a USB SD card reader (no driver), and the other has to do with open registry keys, and they were closed on shutdown.

It appears to me at this point that all the fuss and stuff about the previews not working after 01/15/2013 is not all its cracked up to be. Unless I'm missing something, I would think I would be able to run this version for a very long time.

I'm going to leave it up here for a few more hours, just to see if anything strange does happen. I got a feeling that nothing will, but we will wait and see.

I would be interested to hear what other people think of this, and if anyone has any thoughts as to why things still appear to work without any issues, even though it is well past 01/15/2013.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
Click for full size
Well, I wanted to update this thread with what is going on so far.

As you can see by the above picture, my up time is now over 3 hours.

I did not get an automatic reboot.

I have not seen any message saying that my copy of Windows is now not valid. Short of it actually not being registered, I don't see any information in regards to that my copy will no longer work, as it is well past 01/15/2013.

I do plan on leaving it up for the rest of the day, and the night to see if anything else strange happens.

I'm thinking it won't, but I will do it just to make sure.

Anyway, I may run a similar test tomorrow with the release preview. Based on my results today, I get the feeling that I will have similar results.

Makes me wonder why Microsoft has allowed this to be. I would think if they said it will not work after 01/15/2013, and it will reboot every 2 hours....why is my version not doing it?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
Click for full size
Well, I believe that my testing of installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview now is complete.

As can be seen by the above picture, the up time is just over 17 hours. That of course would not be possible if it was rebooting every 2 hours, as Microsoft says it is suppose to.

I did my own reboot, and nothing has changed. Still the same messages inside of Control Panel in regards to Action Center, and WinVer.

So, from my testing, I can conclude that Microsoft's claim that Windows 8 Consumer Preview will "expire" on 01/15/2013 is incorrect. Sure, there are things that don't work as Windows is not activated, and it is of course beta software, so there are risks with that. However, the whole "reboot once every 2 hours" claim as well as "Loss of data" claim, at least in my specific case, are false.

If the software was suppose to expire and not be usable on and after 01/15/2013, then why was I able to install it yesterday, on February 12, 2013, and use it all day and into today, without a single automatic reboot, or loss of any data?

If I get the chance, I'll do a similar test with the Release Preview, which was also suppose to "expire" on 01/15/2013. Based on my results with the Consumer Preview, I have a really good feeling those "claims" are false as well. My prediction will be the Release Preview will function the same way as the Consumer Preview has.

Again, I'm open to any discussion as to why it would work this way, as well as why Microsoft's claims of what will happen after 01/15/2013 in regards to this software, are false.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner