Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Military manufacturing coming to Windsor, ON

Except this
"Swann said business peaked four years ago —at about the time of the recession and the height of Canada’s participation in the Afghanistan conflict."
proves that super-duper welfare lives on.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i don't understand your point...if GD's sole customer was Canada, they would be out of business.

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

Except this
"Swann said business peaked four years ago —at about the time of the recession and the height of Canada’s participation in the Afghanistan conflict."
proves that super-duper welfare lives on.

The two are exclusive - Afghanistan's 'surge' and Canada's recession. Not knowing what Swann's company explicity manufactures (repair parts? production parts? which programs?), one cannot prove anything as to what his peak demand was related to. And it's especially not "welfare" when vehicles are being produced for non-Canadians. Canadian vehicles/support is only a small piece of the pie coming out of London's facilities.

The article itself is pretty weak because just like automotive, assembly plants everywhere have always created external parts suppliers and are job creators in themselves. But for some reason people tend to get themselves all worked up when instead of Ford's they're producing military vehicles.

That and it's a fluff piece where half the article is talking about ITAR and CCGP paper work.

I missed the part where the Federal Gov't (US or Canadian) had to bail out (welfare) Lockheed/GD/etc. a few years ago. If your argument is that military contractors are being perpetually bailed out, well that's the nature of the business in terms of who foots the bill for these products -- governments.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

I see it as a good thing. We need more investment in Ontario's industry. Too many factories and warehouses are being turned into churches.