spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

steeldriver

join:2011-10-14
Ottawa, ON

[Cable] Ottawa (Richmond Rd POI) unable to bond this morning?

My connection dropped this morning around 8am and was unable to rebond (DS light just kept flashing - Thomson DCM475 modem). Tried a couple of power cycles.

I am at the office now so it may have fixed itself in the meantime - just wondering if anyone else has/had this problem? I don't see any outages reported for Ottawa

Thanks

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

Re: [Cable] Ottawa (Richmond Rd POI) unable to bond this morning

The first thing I would want to check on is what firmware is loaded into the modem as this in theory could potentially be a cause of problems. Aside from that, I don't know if I have much else that could be of use to you. To pull your firmware, simply point a computer that is connected to the modem (even if through a router) to »192.168.100.1

When the page comes up, down the left side, click "Diagnostics". You will see a screen that looks like the this:

You will notice the firmware at the top. In my case, I'm running the older STAC.02.31, which can in some cases be problematic. I however have gotten off lucky and haven't had any such problems with this firmware, but it all depends on where you are and the way the network is setup. If you are running this firmware, you may run into an issue with Rogers not wanting to cooperate, saying that you're running an "unsupported firmware".

As for the stats you'll find on that page, it may be helpful for troubleshooting purposes to post that information.

steeldriver

Ottawa, ON
reply to steeldriver
Thanks for the detailed reply

The connection is now back up, I followed your instructions and it appears I have

Software Version: STAC.02.16
Software Model: a81a
Bootloader: 2.3.0

SNRs are all showing in the range 36-37.5 dB now so I guess I will just put this down to a glitch

Appreciate the help - thanks again

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
How in the crap did you manage to get an older firmware than the "unsupported" firmware? lol

That one seems quite interesting indeed.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Steeldrive has a DCM475 with proper firmware.

The STAC.02.31 is improper firmware for a DCM476.

steeldriver

Ottawa, ON
reply to MrMazda86
Thanks for clarifying Martin

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Martin
I'm aware. The actual firmware that is supposed to be supported is STAC.02.50 IIRC... This particular modem however is running on the older firmware, which in my particular case, seems to work just fine.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
That particular modem, will not be supported if we attempt to open a ticket with it. Just so you're informed.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Funny thing is, the firmwares are all interchangeable. So a DCM-475 can run AC.02.31 just fine, or even AC.02.50. But the only "supported" firmware for it is AC.02.16 on Rogers.