Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sream
Premium
join:2002-08-17
Portage, MI

Modem

Hello. Looking at starting up new att dsl service. Found someone with a new in box att nvg510 modem and was wondering if there would be any problems buying it for the service if for example they owed money to att would it be blocked by att.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
You should ask this in the att direct forum

Read the posting rules before posting

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to sream
the problem is when you start new service they are going to force you to buy the modem at least if you order online. If you call and talk with a cx rep, i'm not sure Theoretically it should work, since they are hot swappable

I would call and the 800-att-2020 and ask

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to sream
said by sream:

Hello. Looking at starting up new att dsl service. Found someone with a new in box att nvg510 modem and was wondering if there would be any problems buying it for the service if for example they owed money to att would it be blocked by att.

The main problem I see is knowing which modem to get. AT&T still sells ADSL, but U-verse HSI is either ADSL2+, or VDSL. Each requires a specific modem; with the U-verse modems further requiring an internal security certificate (included with the device) for the 802.1x authentication. Without knowing which DSL version you will be getting, buying a modem is risky; buy the wrong one and you won't connect to the Internet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
NormanS has a good point:
The nvg510 is a ads2+ modem/router

If the att 802.1x authentication device will not accept the credentials built-in to the modem/router the internet connection will not work.
So obtaining even a correct modem/router not issued for your use can result in a internet connection that will not work.