spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tembit

join:2008-09-03

1 edit

VZ DSL D-Link 2750B Crashing - Connections Table?

I'm experiencing a stability issue with a Verizon-issued D-Link 2750B that is operating in WAN/LAN bridge mode (EthoATM). Here's the L1/L2 connectivity for background:

VZ-DSL------VZ 2750B(bridge)----Cisco 1941

VZ provides a /29 static IP block, one of which is assigned to the 2750B and the other to the 1941.

The problem is that the D-Link 2750B requires rebooting on a regular basis, as it appears to crash. The logs aren't particularly helpful, but I did notice that the TCP/IP state table (connections) is filling up. My assumption is that the table is overflowing and crashing the router, which happens around 10000 entries.

Is there any way to disable state tracking? Given that it is operating in WAN/LAN bridge mode, it shouldn't have any business tracking TCP/IP connection states. In fact, the Internet firewall is disabled.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

This is what I would do, considering the equipment that you listed.

#1 Set the modem combo not to handle the public IP (might be called Bridge-Bridge)

REF = »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

#2 Making sure to leave alone the LAN IP of it.

#3 Then setup the Cisco 1941 to handle the public IP.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to tembit

said by tembit:

Is there any way to disable state tracking? Given that it is operating in WAN/LAN bridge mode, it shouldn't have any business tracking TCP/IP connection states.

If the 2750B is allocated a public ip address it must track it's tcp/ip connection states.

Have you tried reconfiguring the 2750 for bridge mode and letting the 1941 handle all the wan duties.

tembit

reply to aefstoggaflm

Thanks. That's exactly what I did, although I accidentally removed the private IP on the bridge interface as well; oh well.

tembit

reply to wayjac

The non-intuitive bit was that it was tracking all TCP connections across the bridge, not just the connections to/from the 2750 public IP.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to tembit

said by tembit:

Thanks. That's exactly what I did, although I accidentally removed the private IP on the bridge interface as well; oh well.

The dlink manual uses the term "bridge" so much that it's confusing.

I used to using the term "bridge" to refer to a modem/router that has it's lan and wan fuctions disabled
the lan/wan fuctions must be handled by another device.