uniqs
share rss forum feed

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

Unobtrusive Antivirus?

Tried out Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 and it's totally obtrusive it modifies Google, tries to do way more than Antivirus and I just tried to login to my router and I got a popup from Bitdefender asking if I want to use "safe pay."

Any suggestion for a better antivirus?
--
PRescott7-2097

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
There are plenty of free AV that you can try out - I use both Avira and Avast and like them both. The only thing with free AV is a nag screen to get you to upgrade to the paid version but I don't really care about the pop-ups.

Seems to be more pop-ups with Avira than Avast.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to joako
This is going to draw fire

MSE is really lightweight and unobtrusive, although its coverage is, uh, unspectacular.

joako
Premium
/dev/null
Exactly why I stopped using it. But I don't understand why butchering Google search results and popping up "safe pay" (whatever the hell that is) has anything to do with having spectacular coverage.

So is there anything like MSE in terms of obtrusiveness that has better detection?
--
PRescott7-2097

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
You probably need to look at something in the enterprise segment. Bread and butter in the retail segment is obtrusive features.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to sbconslt
said by sbconslt:

This is going to draw fire

MSE is really lightweight and unobtrusive, although its coverage is, uh, unspectacular.

This is a huge barrier in anti-virus solutions. While I can go on a rant about how much of the AV industry has lost its way, suffice it to say, most AV software succumbs to a common alarming trend. All AV software that's good at one point always treads toward becoming big, bulky and having too flashy of a UI for what it's worth.

I miss the days where you could install just an on-demand AV scanner and had the resident component an option during installation. Nowadays every component is obligatory.

Getting back on topic:
One paid software package that's pretty good in my view is ESET NOD32. It has a shiny interface, but it doesn't impact performance much.
As far as free software, go with MS Security Essentials and MalwareBytes (both in tandem provide pretty good baseline security)
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to joako
Deleted.

After posting I re-read OP and saw I misinterpreted the main point and therefore what I posted was really unintentionally off topic. Hence the delete.

Sorry.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to joako
ESET here. The day of a "set and forget" A/V are pretty much gone.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to joako
I seem to be one of few that use Panda Cloud AV. I have found that it works well for my system...along with the other security features I have. It is totally unobtrusive, IMHO.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to siljaline
I use (on my one windows machine) and refer eset for windows people.

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to joako
I'm using Avira Premium now (got a good deal on 3 licenses), but I install Avira Free or Avast Free on any machine I service that needs an AV.

I find Avira to be light, unobtrusive, and offering excellent protection (a look at test run by AV comparatives or AV Test will verify that claim). Most of the machines I am fixing are not used by "techies", so the fact that I receive no complaints or issues from them regarding Avira says it all. A few have even decided to go premium based on the good experience they've had with it.

One trick - to prevent those annoying ads to buy from coming up in the free version, you can block the .exe's that run ads from running (avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe in the Program Files\Avira folder).

The only disadvantage (for now) is the lack of Windows 8 support as of yet. Its forthcoming, and hopefully the changes needed to do not affect the quality of the product.
--
Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to joako
You will hear a lot of negative about this one, but I have enjoyed how unobtrusive it really is, even IF the program is a little bulky from my read, have never had problems with it, with malware, nor running the heaviest graphic program on my machines...I like NIS. »us.norton.com/internet-security

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

hey you can always tell if you have malware going on if norton randomly stops working

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
said by Mike:

hey you can always tell if you have malware going on if norton randomly stops working

ROFLMAO

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to dandelion
Can you install just the antivirus from Norton Internet Security?

I can get I think it's McAffee from AT&T (home) or Norton from Comcast (work)
--
PRescott7-2097

hamlet

join:2001-05-23
Naval Air Station/ Jrb, TX
reply to joako
People have made lots of good suggestions in this thread, but I would like to point out that many antivirus programs can be modified via settings to make them less obtrusive. When I was using Bitdefender a few months back, I was bothered by the exact things you mentioned. I turned off the search result notifications and turned off the SafePay thing and then found Bitdefender tolerable from the annoyance perspective. I started running into other problems, however, and unloaded it and started using a different product.

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to dandelion
said by dandelion:

You will hear a lot of negative about this one, but I have enjoyed how unobtrusive it really is, even IF the program is a little bulky from my read, have never had problems with it, with malware, nor running the heaviest graphic program on my machines...I like NIS. »us.norton.com/internet-security

Just tried it out... it deletes files without giving you an option to restore them! I guess I am too stupid to choose what I want going on with my computer.

Also has all these horrible red alerts because I don't want it to install crapware in my browser or sniff my email traffic.
--
PRescott7-2097

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to joako
Give Webroot SecureAnywhere a try. Choose your flavor »www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-trials.html and if you like it there is a sale ATM. »www.webroot.com/En_US/sites/advspecial.html

TH

Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/13
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to joako
I had NIS that I bought for 4-5 years with my XP and with this new computer (Win 7) just got it through comcast ..the year free one..but dont' think you can use just the virus protector, worth a try though. I don't believe in a single security program for protection however. I also have a host file and use firefox with adblocker and noscript. Good luck on whichever one you pick and someone mentioned you need to adjust most you have. I did some minor adjustments on NIS to tell it what I liked.
PS Never had the problems with it you mentioned. Hopefully that doesn't mean you have malware
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

ubermoe

join:2012-09-21
Jordan
reply to joako
The weird thing is that I don't see any single mention of Kaspersky, it's either because you know something about it that makes it bad which I don't know or it's not that popular.

I've tried many of them including Norton, Avira, Avast, Node32 and more but to be honest I never been comfortable and pleased with the results of any on the early mentioned. Then I got a recommendation via email to try Kaspersky. I am with them since years. Give it a shot

For a home user, try KS Internet Security 2013 »www.kaspersky.com/safe?icid=bnnr···sfe_area

For business, try Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Business; Advanced »www.kaspersky.com/business-secur···advanced

Sometime I thank for using OS X for personal usage. Yes, it's not completely clean but Apple is solving such problem in free software updates. – This is irrelevant but I felt like expressing

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
For business I would go for McAfee VirusScan or Symantec Endpoint Protection. Shockingly, these are not so bad as to regards to sucking up system performances.

The home versions are more of a resource hogs beleive it or not.

For home I would go for NOD32. But only get the AV standalone product itself. And not the whole bundled security suite.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to joako
Panda Cloud Anti-Virus supplemented by
PcTools Threatfire

ron

@rogers.com
PC Tools Threatfire is not suported anymore, so no white list!

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to joako
I use Mcafee Internet Security. It's pretty unobtrusive. e.g., I've never had it interfere with a software install. I don't notice any performance hits at all.

Be selective in what features you enable. e.g., their anti-spam sets up a local email server. I don't use it.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to joako
said by joako:

Tried out Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 and it's totally obtrusive it modifies Google, tries to do way more than Antivirus and I just tried to login to my router and I got a popup from Bitdefender asking if I want to use "safe pay."

Any suggestion for a better antivirus?

you can tweak the norton............uninstall the CG........ after you have the norton installed.......turn off the vault...........drop the toolbars...........etc.etc.........norton, mbytes, and rapport get along fine w/ff18.0.2.........you can't beat free!!
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to ron
said by ron :

PC Tools Threatfire is not suported anymore, so no white list!

It updates every day (or at least it says it does)
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

KitFox

join:2002-10-09
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to joako
Webroot SecureAnywhere. Least intrusive, period.Set, forget, and it just works. The AV version has an egress firewall extender as part of its basic functionality, so you can still use any other firewall out there.

PassMark rates it as disgustingly fast. 90 out of 98 possible while the next best were ESET and Norton at 62.

Complicated and new enough that the high volume testing organizations say they aren't sure how to compare it to other AVs and the low volume professional testers who have plenty of time to test found the first thing that caught every single thing they threw at it within two hours. Other AVs caught more stuff immediately, but what they didn't catch was still there a week and a month later.

Takes up about 8MB of RAM and that's it, the entire installer is under 800k. Scans in under two minutes. Doesn't have gamer mode because it doesn't need it, but it still automatically detects games and changes the way it works to get even lighter. Doesn't bug you about whether you want to allow stuff or not. Doesn't ask you whether stuff is safe because it already knows. Doesn't pop up messages saying "I'm checking this, hold on!"

It just installs, gets out of the way, and works. So well that I've put it on several thousand machines and had precisely two complaints. One being that it was too quiet, the other being that the update button didn't ever update. It's not supposed to. Updates are instant and automatic and constant. The VP of development tracks issues directly and fixes things often within hours.

Webroot SecureAnywhere. Get it. Love it. Be happy.

DrBenGolfing

@verizon.net
reply to joako
Forticlient 5.0 is light, web filter as good as the big boys, totally free. Check out the protection, detection on VB 100.

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL
reply to joako
I can second what tmaertin said. Follow his simple instructions after you install Avira Free and you will never hear a peep out of it. The only time you will know it's running is when it stops malware from running. Exactly what it's supposed to do.

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to slajoh01
I've been using the NOD32 trial for a few days. I disabled all the "features" that I didn't need and there's no red OMG you are insecure alerts.

The most obtrusive thing it's done is create by default a folder in Outlook for "Infected Items" which I was able to disable and delete.
--
PRescott7-2097