share rss forum feed

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
kudos:4

1 edit

[EN+FR] Let's Talk

Gonna copy & paste an interesting article that resumes it.

quote:
Why today is about Bell Canada, and not mental health
According to Bell Canada, today is Bell Let’s Talk Day. The company launched an initiative that donates to Canadian mental health programs each time you make a long distance call or send a text (if you’re a Bell customer), and each time you tweet with the hashtag #BellLetsTalk.

This program is part of, according to the company, an “unprecedented multi-year charitable program unprecedented dedicated to the promotion and support of mental health across Canada” amounting to $50 million. It’s a worthy, topical cause. And, of course, companies aren’t obligated to engage in this kind of corporate philanthropy.

(excess copyrighted material removed-tmpchaos)

Source : »www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/···lth.html

Vous pouvez aussi commenter en français.
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

JoePro

join:2006-11-01
canada

This just in: Bell is a for-profit business!
Can it act both altruistically and in self-interest? YES.

The real question is why do feel the need to bash them over this? Don't you already bash them enough over in the Videotron forums?

Give it a rest dude.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to En Enfer

Let me see,
Bell uses it's size and reach to raise awaereness on mental illness. Check
Bell raises funds for mental illnes. Check
Bell also makes money out of it. Check

What is the downside of this? Mental illness as suffered in obscurity long enough. I, for one, am glad that an organization the size of Bell backs the cause so strongly.

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to JoePro

said by JoePro:

This just in: Bell is a for-profit business!
Can it act both altruistically and in self-interest? YES.

Not sure how altruistic you would call this though,

»j-source.ca/article/proposed-bel···ntration

quote:
The tangible benefits package and why CBC opposes it

CRTC policy dictates that when broadcast assets are purchased, a percentage of that purchase price (six per cent for radio, 10 per cent for television) be added on to create a "tangible benefits" package, a plan of spending on funds or projects that benefit the broadcasting system as a whole. Much of that money would be spent on new Canadian programming, which pleases independent producers.

But Bell's proposal also included some more controversial plans for its benefits package. The largest is a $40-million investment into the Northwestel network to allow it to bring broadband service to Canada's north. But Northwestel is a Bell subsidiary, and the CRTC has already mandated it to improve its network, so Bell's competitors blasted this plan as self-serving.

The plan also includes $3.5 million in spending for the Bell Let's Talk campaign for mental illness. Though no one can complain about a charity program, competitors said this was an inappropriate use of benefits funds because it's not a broadcasting venture.
--
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2012

En Enfer

Montreal, QC
reply to En Enfer

Il y a quand même des points litigieux.

1) Bhell encourage ses clients à utiliser encore plus ses "services payables à l'utilisation" aujourd'hui (interurbains et textos), ce qui leur donne une raison de gonfler la facture pour une cause.

Peu importe l'utilisation de ses clients, Bhell va quand même verser 50 millions cette année dans cette cause charitable.

2) Avez-vous un moyen de savoir exactement (et sans filtres) combien de tweets ont été envoyés avec un #hashtag spécifique dans une période de 24 heures? Non, pas à ma connaissance.

Le problème, c'est l'utilisation du mot "Bell" dans le #hashtag. La sensibilité de la population envers une cause qui les tiens à coeur peut-elle être un motif pour faire de la promotion gratuite du nom d'une compagnie à but très très lucratif ?

3) Et encore, Bhell est l'initiateur de cette cause charitable, mais s'ils auraient opté de tenir un fond neutre et de réduire la taille de leur logo au bas des affiches publicitaires de cette cause, peut-être que Rogers, Telus, Shaw, Vidéotron et autres compagnies de télécommunications auraient embarqué dans cette cause.

Associer la cause à une marque de commerce, c'est carrément fermer la porte aux compétiteurs, qui doivent se trouver quelque chose d'autre...

Si c'est pas une campagne de promotion pour les produits de Bhell, qu'est-ce que c'est au juste ?
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to En Enfer

I agree, its too Bell centric.

Do what I do, visit the website look at the charitable groups that are associated with providing Mental Health services & support. Send them a charitable donation directly or better yet look up the local groups in your area which provide such services and donate to them. You get a tax receipt, they (the charitable groups) get much needed funding, and Bell provided you with pertinent information without making a dime or benefiting directly/indirectly.

I don't tweet, and I am not in the mood to talk with some distant relative I don't like, but I do give care about the health and well-being of fellow Canadians.

Seb851
Future Shop Staff

join:2010-07-12
Sainte-Marthe-Sur-Le-Lac, QC
reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

Il y a quand même des points litigieux.

1) Bhell encourage ses clients à utiliser encore plus ses "services payables à l'utilisation" aujourd'hui (interurbains et textos), ce qui leur donne une raison de gonfler la facture pour une cause.

Peu importe l'utilisation de ses clients, Bhell va quand même verser 50 millions cette année dans cette cause charitable.

2) Avez-vous un moyen de savoir exactement (et sans filtres) combien de tweets ont été envoyés avec un #hashtag spécifique dans une période de 24 heures? Non, pas à ma connaissance.

Le problème, c'est l'utilisation du mot "Bell" dans le #hashtag. La sensibilité de la population envers une cause qui les tiens à coeur peut-elle être un motif pour faire de la promotion gratuite du nom d'une compagnie à but très très lucratif ?

3) Et encore, Bhell est l'initiateur de cette cause charitable, mais s'ils auraient opté de tenir un fond neutre et de réduire la taille de leur logo au bas des affiches publicitaires de cette cause, peut-être que Rogers, Telus, Shaw, Vidéotron et autres compagnies de télécommunications auraient embarqué dans cette cause.

Associer la cause à une marque de commerce, c'est carrément fermer la porte aux compétiteurs, qui doivent se trouver quelque chose d'autre...

Si c'est pas une campagne de promotion pour les produits de Bhell, qu'est-ce que c'est au juste ?

Videotron sont mieux

En Enfer

Montreal, QC

T'avais-tu quelque chose d'intelligent à dire, Seb851 ?

En Enfer

Montreal, QC
reply to En Enfer

Ironic, but the conversation expanded on the Teksavvy forum :
»#BellLetsTalk Initiative Here's Your Chance to cost BHell

The most interesting part, if Bhell gives 5 cents per tweet to the cause with the specific #hashtag, a million tweet means bhell will give... 50 000$, which is way less than the cost of the cause' advertising budget.

Stupid, laughable PR marketing, Bhell. See you next year.
--

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to En Enfer

You really got issues buddy. The real winners here are those suffering from mental illnesses. Regardless of the corporation running the campaign raising awareness is key and its another step in the right direction of tackling this situation.

cdeen

join:2013-02-04
Mississauga, ON
reply to En Enfer

SLAMtech +1

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to SLAMtech

said by SLAMtech:

You really got issues buddy. The real winners here are those suffering from mental illnesses. Regardless of the corporation running the campaign raising awareness is key and its another step in the right direction of tackling this situation.

No, they don't win. They get squat. I work and volunteer in the mental health sector. Bell's money means little.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

En Enfer

Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to SLAMtech

said by SLAMtech:

Please, elaborate.

As I pointed out, the problem is the corporation running the campaign. Awareness is the key, but WHY do we need to forward the BELL brand in social media networks ?

If you want awareless, use the neutral #MentalIllness hashtag and reach Telus customers in western Canada, not any #Bell* variation hashtag. It's just wrong.
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

said by En Enfer:

If you want awareless, use the neutral #MentalIllness hashtag and reach Telus customers in western Canada, not any #Bell* variation hashtag. It's just wrong.

I don't have a problem with a business supporting a cause like this. I suspect that mental illness has touched the life of someone high up in the organization, so they've taken up the cause. That's how these things happen - for better or for worse.

I do however note focus seems to focus heavily on the Bell brand - to the point of being a bit obnoxious.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Frank1bell

@bellmobilite.ca
reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

said by SLAMtech:

Please, elaborate.

As I pointed out, the problem is the corporation running the campaign. Awareness is the key, but WHY do we need to forward the BELL brand in social media networks ?

Maybe because other brands have mostly "IGNORED" The problem. does this not make sense to you? if you ignored the problem and other companies are offering help, people will see there is some light at the end of the other tunnel, even if its not their employer they are still happy that someone is listening,

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

Ironic, but the conversation expanded on the Teksavvy forum :
»#BellLetsTalk Initiative Here's Your Chance to cost BHell

The most interesting part, if Bhell gives 5 cents per tweet to the cause with the specific #hashtag, a million tweet means bhell will give... 50 000$, which is way less than the cost of the cause' advertising budget.

Stupid, laughable PR marketing, Bhell. See you next year.

So how much is 96,266,266 tweet give ?

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to En Enfer

I really don't care why they are doing it...just glad they gave over 4 million dollars to a worthy cause. I tweeted and retweeted like I have never done before...good for them.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

En Enfer

Montreal, QC
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

From Bell's pitched numbers, it's actually 96 266 266 tweets, facebook shares, texts and long distance calls, not just tweets.

Even if Bell's #hashtag hasn't been trending that day, any number the could have come up with is just good PR. Tweets and Facebook shares are public and therefor verifiable data, but, someone PLEASE tell me how to extract these numbers !

Regardless of the above number, Bell donates 50 millions. You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

Next step, do we have public records or photos of Bhell actually donating all that money to recipients, or do we just blindly trust them to do the right thing ?
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Glen1

said by Glen1:

I really don't care why they are doing it...just glad they gave over 4 million dollars to a worthy cause. I tweeted and retweeted like I have never done before...good for them.

It would have a lot more cred if they didn't make it the lead story on their evening TV news on their flagship stations. And even more cred if they followed the lead of Bruce Power and simply announced the donation and then made it, instead of turning it into a media circus. It reminds me of the celebration of human misery that Kraft Foods engages in with food banks.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

But Bell does get the tax credit for their donation. What is wrong with that picture?

Next step, do we have public records or photos of Bhell actually donating all that money to recipients, or do we just blindly trust them to do the right thing ?

There are signs of their donations. The CMHA has a new web site with Bell as a logoed sponsor..

And this does exactly what to help people with serious mental health issues?

Then there is Bell's sponsorship of a CAMH gala. Again, what does that actually do for people with mental health and addiction problems?
--

kovy

reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

said by kovy:

From Bell's pitched numbers, it's actually 96 266 266 tweets, facebook shares, texts and long distance calls, not just tweets.

Even if Bell's #hashtag hasn't been trending that day, any number the could have come up with is just good PR. Tweets and Facebook shares are public and therefor verifiable data, but, someone PLEASE tell me how to extract these numbers !

Regardless of the above number, Bell donates 50 millions. You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

Do you know how bad that would be for their imagine if Bell truly didn't donate that money ?

Why would I need a charity receipt for my imcomes report... Is that the only reason you give to charity ?

You're clearly on a Bell hate, seach and destroy path... Even when they do something "good" for the society...

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by En Enfer:

You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

But Bell does get the tax credit for their donation. What is wrong with that picture?

There are signs of their donations. The CMHA has a new web site with Bell as a logoed sponsor..

And this does exactly what to help people with serious mental health issues?

Then there is Bell's sponsorship of a CAMH gala. Again, what does that actually do for people with mental health and addiction problems?

It raises public awarenwss of a typically very private condition. The donations are noce, all those agencies need the funding. But putting the issue front and centre and trying to remove the stigma attached to mental health is well worth it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

You're clearly on a Bell hate, seach and destroy path... Even when they do something "good" for the society...

Believe me, given the challenges in the mental health care system in Ontario, $5m and their logo on a hospital is a drop in the bucket.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to AsherN

said by AsherN:

It raises public awarenwss of a typically very private condition. The donations are noce, all those agencies need the funding. But putting the issue front and centre and trying to remove the stigma attached to mental health is well worth it.

There are other, better ways.
--

En Enfer

Montreal, QC

2 edits
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

Oh, from the pictures on the page and last year announcements, I guess they're gonna give some work to the Cirque du Soleil...

said by kovy:

Do you know how bad that would be for their imagine if Bell truly didn't donate that money ?

They make billions of money each year, and last january, they increased by 3$ each of their products. Off course, they donate large chunks of money to charities and THEY get a tax refund credit, money that goes back to their pockets! Every large company does that. The public campaign (Let's Talk) is the second part : public awareness, but also a promotion for the Bell brand, like « Look at us, we're doing something good for the community, horray for Bell, praise our brand ».

said by kovy:

Why would I need a charity receipt for my imcomes report... Is that the only reason you give to charity ?

You don't need a charity receipt for a food bank donation. They can use the food or throw them in the garbage.

When you give actual money, there must be an incencitive (sp?), and the recipient sees that YOU are a good person. The government acknowledge the charity is legally registered and your donation will be used for their cause.

In the case of Bhell's campaign, well, the recipient simply says "thanks Bhell" while you pay a higher LD or SMS bill and promote Bell on social media networks. Shouldn't you promote Mental Illness instead if you want to do the right thing ?

said by kovy:

The only "good" thing coming our from this, it's awareness. Everything else is self-promoting.
--

kovy

reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by kovy:

Believe me, given the challenges in the mental health care system in Ontario, $5m and their logo on a hospital is a drop in the bucket.

5m was only a 24h thing no ? Bell donated around 60m... even if it's small money, it's still better then nothing.

I don't see why so much negative feed back...

kovy

reply to En Enfer

said by En Enfer:

said by DKS:

Oh, from the pictures on the page and last year announcements, I guess they're gonna give some work to the Cirque du Soleil...

said by kovy:

They make billions of money each year, and last january, they increased by 3$ each of their products. Off course, they donate large chunks of money to charities and THEY get a tax refund credit, money that goes back to their pockets! Every large company does that. The public campaign (Let's Talk) is the second part : public awareness, but also a promotion for the Bell brand, like « Look at us, we're doing something good for the community, horray for Bell, praise our brand ».

said by kovy:

You don't need a charity receipt for a food bank donation. They can use the food or throw them in the garbage.

When you give actual money, there must be an incencitive (sp?), and the recipient sees that YOU are a good person. The government acknowledge the charity is legally registered and your donation will be used for their cause.

In the case of Bhell's campaign, well, the recipient simply says "thanks Bhell" while you pay a higher LD or SMS bill and promote Bell on social media networks. Shouldn't you promote Mental Illness instead if you want to do the right thing ?

said by kovy:

The only "good" thing coming our from this, it's awareness. Everything else is self-promoting.

So what if it's self promoting... good cause is a good cause.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by kovy:

said by En Enfer:

said by DKS:

said by kovy:

said by kovy:

said by kovy:

So what if it's self promoting... good cause is a good cause.

exactly, i dont get this bell bashing yes they get a tax credit, everyone does it, want to buy a baloon for the childrens wish foundation? the store selling you that peice of cardboard is going to use it as a tax deduction. Personally when i give to a charity i give directly, eliminate the middle man and that way i know where the money is going. but im not going to bash a company that attaches their name to a campagne, its been done for years they all do it, yes its marketing, yes they get back a tax deduction but often its some of the best publicity these charities can get.

JoePro

join:2006-11-01
canada
reply to En Enfer

People hate Bell. I get that.
People LOVE hating on Bell. I get that too, to some extent.

But hating on Bell because of this is ridiculous. They're a for-profit business. Nobody is forcing you to text more or talk more if you're not interested. AFAIK, tweeting and facebook sharing is free.

Maybe some of the haters in this thread should call Bell to see if they qualify for a share of the donations. *shrug*

En Enfer

Montreal, QC
reply to En Enfer

Proof that the campaign is about Bell Canada's image and not really about the cause...

quote:
How does it actually help your business?

Qualitatively from what I hear people say to me and others is that people never really thought about Bell as a company that would support a cause like that and that it made them think twice about Bell. It’s helped people see Bell in a different, more positive light and made them think about giving Bell a second chance.
Source : »www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···8664361/

See ? All this was about a good public corporate image.

Concerning those who think I'm a bastard for having concerns about Bell's initiative...
quote:
Why attach your name? That gives the cynics a chance to dump on the campaign and dismiss is as marketing.

I can understand that there is cynicism. But if you know about the issue of mental health, you know the single biggest barrier to people getting help is the stigma. So having an organization with the history, breadth and heft of Bell being associated with it so publicly gives a boost to the mental health community.
So, since Bhell is a 132 years old company, and mental health is a problem since, well, forever, that makes them even ?
--