kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to En Enfer

to En Enfer

Re: [EN+FR] Let's Talk

said by En Enfer:

said by kovy7:

So how much is 96,266,266 tweet give ?

From Bell's pitched numbers, it's actually 96 266 266 tweets, facebook shares, texts and long distance calls, not just tweets.

Even if Bell's #hashtag hasn't been trending that day, any number the could have come up with is just good PR. Tweets and Facebook shares are public and therefor verifiable data, but, someone PLEASE tell me how to extract these numbers !

Regardless of the above number, Bell donates 50 millions. You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

Next step, do we have public records or photos of Bhell actually donating all that money to recipients, or do we just blindly trust them to do the right thing ?

Do you know how bad that would be for their imagine if Bell truly didn't donate that money ?

Why would I need a charity receipt for my imcomes report... Is that the only reason you give to charity ?

You're clearly on a Bell hate, seach and destroy path... Even when they do something "good" for the society...
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by En Enfer:

You as a participating for-the-cause Bell customer get a higher bill for your SMS and LD calls, and you don't even get a charity receipt of your indirect donations to use for your incomes report.

But Bell does get the tax credit for their donation. What is wrong with that picture?

Next step, do we have public records or photos of Bhell actually donating all that money to recipients, or do we just blindly trust them to do the right thing ?

There are signs of their donations. The CMHA has a new web site with Bell as a logoed sponsor..

And this does exactly what to help people with serious mental health issues?

Then there is Bell's sponsorship of a CAMH gala. Again, what does that actually do for people with mental health and addiction problems?

It raises public awarenwss of a typically very private condition. The donations are noce, all those agencies need the funding. But putting the issue front and centre and trying to remove the stigma attached to mental health is well worth it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

You're clearly on a Bell hate, seach and destroy path... Even when they do something "good" for the society...

Believe me, given the challenges in the mental health care system in Ontario, $5m and their logo on a hospital is a drop in the bucket.
DKS

DKS to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

It raises public awarenwss of a typically very private condition. The donations are noce, all those agencies need the funding. But putting the issue front and centre and trying to remove the stigma attached to mental health is well worth it.

There are other, better ways.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

2 edits

En Enfer to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

Then there is Bell's sponsorship of a CAMH gala. Again, what does that actually do for people with mental health and addiction problems?

Oh, from the pictures on the page and last year announcements, I guess they're gonna give some work to the Cirque du Soleil...
said by kovy7:

Do you know how bad that would be for their imagine if Bell truly didn't donate that money ?

They make billions of money each year, and last january, they increased by 3$ each of their products. Off course, they donate large chunks of money to charities and THEY get a tax refund credit, money that goes back to their pockets! Every large company does that. The public campaign (Let's Talk) is the second part : public awareness, but also a promotion for the Bell brand, like « Look at us, we're doing something good for the community, horray for Bell, praise our brand ».
said by kovy7:

Why would I need a charity receipt for my imcomes report... Is that the only reason you give to charity ?

You don't need a charity receipt for a food bank donation. They can use the food or throw them in the garbage.

When you give actual money, there must be an incencitive (sp?), and the recipient sees that YOU are a good person. The government acknowledge the charity is legally registered and your donation will be used for their cause.

In the case of Bhell's campaign, well, the recipient simply says "thanks Bhell" while you pay a higher LD or SMS bill and promote Bell on social media networks. Shouldn't you promote Mental Illness instead if you want to do the right thing ?
said by kovy7:

The only "good" thing coming our from this, it's awareness. Everything else is self-promoting.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by kovy7:

Believe me, given the challenges in the mental health care system in Ontario, $5m and their logo on a hospital is a drop in the bucket.

5m was only a 24h thing no ? Bell donated around 60m... even if it's small money, it's still better then nothing.

I don't see why so much negative feed back...
kovy7

kovy7 to En Enfer

to En Enfer
said by En Enfer:

said by DKS:

Oh, from the pictures on the page and last year announcements, I guess they're gonna give some work to the Cirque du Soleil...
said by kovy7:

They make billions of money each year, and last january, they increased by 3$ each of their products. Off course, they donate large chunks of money to charities and THEY get a tax refund credit, money that goes back to their pockets! Every large company does that. The public campaign (Let's Talk) is the second part : public awareness, but also a promotion for the Bell brand, like « Look at us, we're doing something good for the community, horray for Bell, praise our brand ».
said by kovy7:

You don't need a charity receipt for a food bank donation. They can use the food or throw them in the garbage.

When you give actual money, there must be an incencitive (sp?), and the recipient sees that YOU are a good person. The government acknowledge the charity is legally registered and your donation will be used for their cause.

In the case of Bhell's campaign, well, the recipient simply says "thanks Bhell" while you pay a higher LD or SMS bill and promote Bell on social media networks. Shouldn't you promote Mental Illness instead if you want to do the right thing ?
said by kovy7:

The only "good" thing coming our from this, it's awareness. Everything else is self-promoting.

So what if it's self promoting... good cause is a good cause.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by kovy7:

said by En Enfer:

said by DKS:

said by kovy7:

said by kovy7:

said by kovy7:

So what if it's self promoting... good cause is a good cause.

exactly, i dont get this bell bashing yes they get a tax credit, everyone does it, want to buy a baloon for the childrens wish foundation? the store selling you that peice of cardboard is going to use it as a tax deduction. Personally when i give to a charity i give directly, eliminate the middle man and that way i know where the money is going. but im not going to bash a company that attaches their name to a campagne, its been done for years they all do it, yes its marketing, yes they get back a tax deduction but often its some of the best publicity these charities can get.

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro to En Enfer

to En Enfer
People hate Bell. I get that.
People LOVE hating on Bell. I get that too, to some extent.

But hating on Bell because of this is ridiculous. They're a for-profit business. Nobody is forcing you to text more or talk more if you're not interested. AFAIK, tweeting and facebook sharing is free.

Maybe some of the haters in this thread should call Bell to see if they qualify for a share of the donations. *shrug*

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

Proof that the campaign is about Bell Canada's image and not really about the cause...
quote:
How does it actually help your business?

Qualitatively from what I hear people say to me and others is that people never really thought about Bell as a company that would support a cause like that and that it made them think twice about Bell. It’s helped people see Bell in a different, more positive light and made them think about giving Bell a second chance.
Source : »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 8664361/

See ? All this was about a good public corporate image.

Concerning those who think I'm a bastard for having concerns about Bell's initiative...
quote:
Why attach your name? That gives the cynics a chance to dump on the campaign and dismiss is as marketing.

I can understand that there is cynicism. But if you know about the issue of mental health, you know the single biggest barrier to people getting help is the stigma. So having an organization with the history, breadth and heft of Bell being associated with it so publicly gives a boost to the mental health community.
So, since Bhell is a 132 years old company, and mental health is a problem since, well, forever, that makes them even ?

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to En Enfer

MVM

to En Enfer
Interesting comparing it to a food bank situation...I have seen people carrying food bank donations into their store and reselling the products...corruption can be in any form. I supported this bell talk campaign because in the end at least one person may get help with this money...companies do these things for marketing purpose and image...once in awhile someone benefits from it.

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by Glen1:

once in awhile someone benefits from it.

And the other times, crooks benefit from public's generosity.

Speaking of which, I received a spam mail a few weeks ago, they say it's for a good cause, if I provide my credit card number and the number in the back, they'll automate my donations. Maybe I'm naïve, but those poor sick kids really needs money.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Glen1

to Glen1
said by Glen1:

Interesting comparing it to a food bank situation...I have seen people carrying food bank donations into their store and reselling the products...corruption can be in any form.

Which is why food banks now use gift cards.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to En Enfer

Premium Member

to En Enfer
said by En Enfer:

Proof that the campaign is about Bell Canada's image and not really about the cause...

I then assume you have the same reaction to McDonald's and the Ronald MDonald houses?

Given the stygma attached with mental health, it takes fortitude for a corporation to so publically get behind it.

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by AsherN:

I then assume you have the same reaction to McDonald's and the Ronald MDonald houses?

Big difference !
I'm not familiar with Ronald McDonald's houses mission, but McDonald's is responsible for their fundraising and how they allocate that money on their own charity, with a little public and government help. Bell just does the fundraising work and gives out $50 million to organisations who takes care of the rest for the 364 other days of the year.

I'm not aware of any McDonald's promotion like "Today, we'll give 1$ for each Big Mac you'll buy", pushing customers to over-spend for the cause. Bell did. I don't remember McDo asking customers to forward a #McDo hashtag on social media networks as a fundraiser.

And I don't remember any news anchor on any TV or radio network opening newscast with results on a charity campaign from McDo either.

JoePro
canada

1 edit

JoePro

said by En Enfer:

I'm not aware of any McDonald's promotion like "Today, we'll give 1$ for each Big Mac you'll buy", pushing customers to over-spend for the cause. Bell did. I don't remember McDo asking customers to forward a #McDo hashtag on social media networks as a fundraiser.

Ever heard of McHappy Day? What about Tim Horton's Camp Day? Need more examples?

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by JoePro:

Ever heard of McHappy Day? What about Tim Horton's Camp Day?

Pantoute. Ça ne me dit rien. Ça arrive une fois par année?
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

C'est le Grand McDon en français , c'est très médiatisé.

JoePro
canada

JoePro to En Enfer

to En Enfer
said by En Enfer:

said by JoePro:

Ever heard of McHappy Day? What about Tim Horton's Camp Day?

Pantoute. Ça ne me dit rien. Ça arrive une fois par année?

Yep, annuellement et depuis maintenant environ 20 ans (pour McDo)

»www.mcdonalds.ca/ca/en/h ··· day.html
»www.timhortons.com/ca/en ··· day.html

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

En Enfer

The Globe & Mail is in damage control :
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 8990560/

They ran this story "Bell's "Let's Talk" campaign cashes in"
»www.youngfrederickinvest ··· -in.html

A journalist's job is to report the news and question everything, not to write articles pitched by the higher management which MUST be always positive. The Twitter reactions was a legitimate part of the article, because stories aren't always black or white.

So, the Globe decided to, well, let's just say we're sorry about the good journalist job, forget about the twitter reactions because Bhell owns 15% of G&M, let's focus on the positive side !

Yeah right...