how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rainey

join:2012-05-14
Montreal, QC

[TV] Videotron switch to FIBE TV FTTN

I am scheduled to switch to FIBE TV in a week and was wondering if any other ex videotron users can give me an idea on the install process. For example does Bell use the existing cables or is there more to install. Is the process really 4 hours? I am in a building and will also have Fibe internet installed.

Also are you happy with the switch. I am doing it as Illico 2.0 is so buggy, few English HD stations and overall less stations on videotron.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
not Videotron, but I just switched from Rogers. They used the existing RG59 coax that was used for Rogers.

4 hours is not impossible. Starting from scratch, they may have work to do at the remote, the building phone room, install the POTS splitter, modem, configure. Install the pVR and any additional receivers.

My Fibe TV install was a bit over an hour, for 3 receivers. The internet install was a bit more than 2.

I should have done it earlier. TV quality is better.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to rainey
It all depends, they tell you 4 hours so that you are prepared to stay for that long. Apartments are generally faster than single family dwellings.

getonline

join:2012-06-13
reply to rainey
I made the switch from Videotron to Bell for the unliminted internet and fibetv on fttn. The installation took more than 4 hours. The speed I'm getting is 25/10, I have tested it on several speed testing sites while the tv is on, the download speed stay at 25, but the upload speed varies between 7 to 10. The technician has ran some tests to confirm that I could get 50/10 If I want. The tv quality is good. So far, I'm satisfied, but I have only used it for couple hours.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to rainey
Just wondering.. Did Vidéotron retention offer you unlimited internet?

Maxime128

join:2010-10-22
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by julienvf:

Just wondering.. Did Vidéotron retention offer you unlimited internet?

Vidéotron est très avare sur la bande passante.. donc non personne a réussi a avoir cela!

En plus entre le choix d'avoir un upload cheap de 2 ou 3 avec vidéotron ou un minimum de 10 avec Bell le choix est facile!

getonline

join:2012-06-13
reply to julienvf
no.

julienvf

Verdun, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Maxime128
Perso, je suis très bien avec Acanac câble 30mbps. Je me demandais jusque où la rétention allait maintenant coté bande passante. Un de mes clients avait IHV commercial et ils lui ont offert le même 500gb/mois pour 44$/mois au lieu de 75$/mois.

Maxime128

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by julienvf:

Perso, je suis très bien avec Acanac câble 30mbps. Je me demandais jusque où la rétention allait maintenant coté bande passante. Un de mes clients avait IHV commercial et ils lui ont offert le même 500gb/mois pour 44$/mois au lieu de 75$/mois.

Il est encore sur le commercial? Aie il est bien pogné celui la avec sont contrat.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to rainey
said by rainey:

I am scheduled to switch to FIBE TV in a week and was wondering if any other ex videotron users can give me an idea on the install process. For example does Bell use the existing cables or is there more to install. Is the process really 4 hours? I am in a building and will also have Fibe internet installed.

Also are you happy with the switch. I am doing it as Illico 2.0 is so buggy, few English HD stations and overall less stations on videotron.

They used my existing cables.

Even discounting the superior UI and whole home PVR, the amount of HD and channels on demand offered leaves Videotron in the dust

julienvf

Verdun, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Maxime128
said by Maxime128:

said by julienvf:

Il est encore sur le commercial? Aie il est bien pogné celui la avec sont contrat.

Nah, justement, il finissait son contrat donc il switch à Acanac câble 30mbps. Il a quand même été curieux de ce que Vidéotron offrait en rétention juste pour voir.

Mamzelsoleil

join:2006-01-05
Sainte-Therese, QC
J'ai flusher Videotron le 17 novembre dernier et de ce que j'en sais, Illico NG est encore autant buger! JE NE REGRETTE PAS DU TOUT le switch que j'ai fait!!! Excellent service tv, un internet 50/50 rapide et illimité depuis la semaine passé!!

J'avais peur de faire le saut avec tout ce qui se disait et une expérience passé très amère mais finalement c'est le meilleur move que j'ai fait!

SpykeYs

join:2009-01-23
Même chose ici!!

J'ai dû quitter Electronic Box.. Mais bon, internet 50/50 illimité c'est dur à battre..

rainey

Montreal, QC
reply to rainey
Thanks for all the information and hopefully I will be as thrilled with Fibe as I am disappointed with Illico 2.0

julienvf

Verdun, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to SpykeYs
said by SpykeYs:

Même chose ici!!

J'ai dû quitter Electronic Box.. Mais bon, internet 50/50 illimité c'est dur à battre..

J'ai vu ça en action à Québec le 50/50 justement chez un de mes amis, c'Est assez fou.. Disons qu'il n'a plus de problèmes de ratio sur les sites p2p!

Maxime128

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by julienvf:

said by SpykeYs:

Même chose ici!!

J'ai vu ça en action à Québec le 50/50 justement chez un de mes amis, c'Est assez fou.. Disons qu'il n'a plus de problèmes de ratio sur les sites p2p!

C'est vrai j'ai aucun problème. Surtout en illimité maintenant.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Mamzelsoleil
said by Mamzelsoleil:

J'ai flusher Videotron le 17 novembre dernier et de ce que j'en sais, Illico NG est encore autant buger! JE NE REGRETTE PAS DU TOUT le switch que j'ai fait!!! Excellent service tv, un internet 50/50 rapide et illimité depuis la semaine passé!!

J'avais peur de faire le saut avec tout ce qui se disait et une expérience passé très amère mais finalement c'est le meilleur move que j'ai fait!

50/50 illimité *drool*

Maxime128

Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by TigerLord:

said by Mamzelsoleil:

50/50 illimité *drool*

On sais que tu est jaloux de nous

rainey

Montreal, QC
reply to rainey
FibeTV and Fibe Internet were installed yesterday. Took about 4 hours and they did not use the videotron cables but ran new ones.

So far all is good with one exception. I have a SONOS wireless system that can not connect with the fibe modem. If I connect the system "bridge" to the modem and the "bridge" to my pc it works. Wireless does not work and it is not my security software as it does not work when I disable this. I assume there is some type of setting on the modem that is blocking. Does anyone have any ideas. I am at a loss and tech support could not help.

Otherwise loving Fibe TV over videotron big time.

rainey

Montreal, QC
Solved my issue.

Gillest

join:2012-12-21
Rainey, can you tell us how you solved your problem?

thanks!

rainey

Montreal, QC
I went into the Bell connection hub site and changed the wireless channel to match the same channel as the Sonos bridge.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
reply to rainey
Can anyone tell me what they do with RG59 cable? The service is not over VDSL2? The cable is in use to interconnect the receiver to the PVR?

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Fibe TV can be delivered from the Sagecom over either Cat5 or coax.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
said by AsherN:

So when they use existing COAX they put the sagencom at the demarc point?

Seb851
Future Shop Staff

join:2010-07-12
Sainte-Marthe-Sur-Le-Lac, QC
Oui, ils peux utiliser le reseau coaxial deja present dans la maison si le cable est de bonne qualité

AsherN
Premium
Thornhill, ON
reply to vitesse
said by vitesse:

said by AsherN:

So when they use existing COAX they put the sagencom at the demarc point?

The Sagecom can be anywhere. I ran a coax from my Sagecom to the demarc, where the Rogers splitter was. Bell replaced that splitter.