uniqs
share rss forum feed

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to joako

Re: Unobtrusive Antivirus?

This is going to draw fire

MSE is really lightweight and unobtrusive, although its coverage is, uh, unspectacular.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

Exactly why I stopped using it. But I don't understand why butchering Google search results and popping up "safe pay" (whatever the hell that is) has anything to do with having spectacular coverage.

So is there anything like MSE in terms of obtrusiveness that has better detection?
--
PRescott7-2097

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

You probably need to look at something in the enterprise segment. Bread and butter in the retail segment is obtrusive features.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to sbconslt

said by sbconslt:

This is going to draw fire

MSE is really lightweight and unobtrusive, although its coverage is, uh, unspectacular.

This is a huge barrier in anti-virus solutions. While I can go on a rant about how much of the AV industry has lost its way, suffice it to say, most AV software succumbs to a common alarming trend. All AV software that's good at one point always treads toward becoming big, bulky and having too flashy of a UI for what it's worth.

I miss the days where you could install just an on-demand AV scanner and had the resident component an option during installation. Nowadays every component is obligatory.

Getting back on topic:
One paid software package that's pretty good in my view is ESET NOD32. It has a shiny interface, but it doesn't impact performance much.
As far as free software, go with MS Security Essentials and MalwareBytes (both in tandem provide pretty good baseline security)
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

DrBenGolfing

@verizon.net
reply to joako

Forticlient 5.0 is light, web filter as good as the big boys, totally free. Check out the protection, detection on VB 100.