how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

[DSL] Static IP Address

I'm hoping someone here will know the answer to this one...

I have a TekSavvy DSL account which is currently setup as a standard (ordinary) connection. I noticed that TekSavvy has an option for a Static IP Address for $4/month and a /30 subnet for 2 IP addresses for $5/mo. The interesting thing here is that when you run an IP subnet, you are limited to only ONE PPPoE connection.

My problem here is that in an ideal world, I would like to be able to use my PPPoE login for troubleshooting purposes when testing a customer's DSL line. If I were to go with a /30 subnet, I would have the 2 IP addresses, but would be limited to only being able to establish one PPPoE link, which would become problematic for trying to troubleshoot a connection issue.

My question here is quite simple... Although it would be $8/mo instead of only $5/mo, would I be able to add two of the static IP add-ons to be able to establish a 2nd PPPoE connection when it is needed?

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
The answer is quite simple as well:

The number of PPPoE connections you may establish equals number of accounts at TekSavvy you are paying for and has nothing to do with number of static IP addresses you may have.

For example, I have a static IP address and a subnet with 6 IP addresses (/29 mask) . So, my static IP address for $4/mo is a gateway to my subnet for $10 and nothing else

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
That's where you're wrong... If you're on a dynamic IP address, you can establish many, many, many, many PPPoE sessions either through the same modem, or from different locations. When you have only ONE static IP address on the other hand, you are limited to only being able to have ONE active PPPoE session. I have come to discover this through trial and error.

Also, Subnets are a completely different breed because they're a "virtual" link for lack of a better term. Even when running a subnet, you still have that one static IP for the PPPoE link. When you're not bound to a static IP on the other hand, the inner workings of it are different.

Despite your claim of the maximum number of connections not being limited to IP addresses, this is where you are wrong. I know this from experience from having a TekSavvy account with and a TekSavvy account without a static IP address. The Static login is only valid for ONE PPPoE session, but the Dynamic login is able to establish multiple links simultaneously, including through different locations.

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
I even don't know what to answer for such analytical statements. Since you have replied to almost all threads in this forum I hope you know what to do. Good luck!

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
said by UnixMan:

I even don't know what to answer for such analytical statements. Since you have replied to almost all threads in this forum I hope you know what to do. Good luck!

It almost makes me miss Farmer Chuck/Chuck's Truck/whatever, although he's very "active" over at can.internet.highspeed.

said by MrMazda86:

Also, Subnets are a completely different breed because they're a "virtual" link for lack of a better term. Even when running a subnet, you still have that one static IP for the PPPoE link. When you're not bound to a static IP on the other hand, the inner workings of it are different.

There is no "virtual link". Understand that PPP operates at the data link layer and doesn't care about IP at all; it's just a way of encapsulating data to relay it from one node to another across a network. The "inner workings" are the same whether you have a static or dynamic IP; it's still a PPP link using IPCP to configure the relay of frames containing IP packets over the link.

Vinch

join:2007-10-24
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to MrMazda86
Ask to be part of IPv6 beta in the direct forum. You will be assigned a second login that has dynamic IP with IPv6 support.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
You're both missing the whole point of it... When you're on a static IP, if you attempt to establish a second PPPoE connection from anywhere it will bounce you back with an error that will read "The login credentials are not valid on this domain"...

What surprises me is that nobody at TSI has been able to respond with the actual answer. As for there not being a "virtual link", you clearly have never run a static subnet before because... that's got to be the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.

As for IPv6, that's a whole separate ball of wax completely from the issue that I'm inquiring on. IPv6 has nothing to do with what I'm inquiring on. In fact, an IPv6 login is just that... IPv6 ONLY! It too is a whole separate service with a whole separate purpose, which will not allow for what I'm inquiring about.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

2 recommendations

said by MrMazda86:

What surprises me is that nobody at TSI has been able to respond with the actual answer. As for there not being a "virtual link", you clearly have never run a static subnet before because... that's got to be the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.

Wrong. For the purposes of our discussion, there's just the PPP relay running between two devices, which is a "logical link" not a "virtual link". There's no difference in the PPP link whether you have a static address/subnet or a dynamically-assigned address; PPP doesn't care what is traversing that link, it just encapsulates it. The routing tables are set at either end to route traffic properly for a specific subnet, and the default gateway of the CPE would be the router on the other end of the PPP link. You can set any arbitrary IP addresses you want on either side of the PPP link, but that doesn't mean they'll be routable.

Also I'm pretty sure you've heard more outlandish things in your life, so "biggest load of rubbish" may be a slight overstatement.

said by MrMazda86:

As for IPv6, that's a whole separate ball of wax completely from the issue that I'm inquiring on. IPv6 has nothing to do with what I'm inquiring on.

Neither does IPv4. What you're inquiring about is a policy related to the handling of AAA (specifically the second "A") based on whether or not a customer has a static subnet allocated to them. Obviously, you can't practically assign the same (in this case, static) IP to two separate stub networks, so they're only allowing one PPP relay to be established to prevent this from happening. Again, nothing to do with IPv6 or IPv4! It's all AAA!

said by MrMazda86:

In fact, an IPv6 login is just that... IPv6 ONLY! It too is a whole separate service with a whole separate purpose, which will not allow for what I'm inquiring about.

Also wrong. IPv6 logins aren't IPv6-only, and you prove your ignorance by saying so. It's not a "whole separate service with a whole separate purpose", although you are correct that it won't solve the issue you're talking about here.

I know exactly the "issue" you're talking about, but you're being really belligerent when people are honestly trying to help you out. To get a direct answer from TSI, you should ask one of them either over the phone or in the direct forum as I'm sure they'd be able to help you out there, and let you know whether you can have a separate login with a dynamic IP for testing purposes. Also, let's not forget that test@test/test was designed for, well, testing (not that the credentials imply that or anything ), so I'd imagine that's probably they answer they'll give you.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

I decided to call TSI to inquire... It turns out that they're not able to directly issue two static IP addresses to a single PPPoE login, however they can create a second PPPoE login and affix a static IP address to each one of them. That would then allow me to be able to use my DSL service normally with its own static IP, which would then also leave me able to have the troubleshooting login for sticky situations. As for the bill, all it will do is add the $4 charge for a static IP to the bill twice, which is fine.

Apparently, TSI can do pretty well anything... It's just a matter of setting up the configurations to do so.