uniqs
share rss forum feed

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

[AZ] Any new info on IPV6?

Well,

Here we are into 2013 and haven't heard anything new about IPV6.
Cox Techs have any new info?

Thx

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

2 recommendations

Nothing to be gained by IPV6 yet really - many services (websites, game servers, etc) don't support it.

Very very few services out there are ipv6 only, but if you must have access to them, you can always use a free ipv6 tunnel broker which provides a 6to4 tunnel.

Many routers these days support 6to4 tunnels and so do a lot of OSes (windows vista and up support it natively - you just enter a few console commands to set it up - most brokers will give you a string of commands to simply copy and paste into the command prompt).

To the software you use, it will work exactly as if cox provided you ipv6 services, with one exception: latency. Because you are using a tunnel, your first hop latency will be a little bit higher (depending on the physical location of the other end of the tunnel) and you'll appear to be physically located elsewhere to outside hosts.

A neat side effect is that you have yet another IP address to troll websites with (e.g. wikipedia) and avoid IP bans without needing to reset your cable modem.

Just hit google for 'ipv6 tunnel broker' and you can find a bunch of them.

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ
said by Rakeesh:

Nothing to be gained by IPV6 yet really - many services (websites, game servers, etc) don't support it.

Very very few services out there are ipv6 only, but if you must have access to them, you can always use a free ipv6 tunnel broker which provides a 6to4 tunnel.

Many routers these days support 6to4 tunnels and so do a lot of OSes (windows vista and up support it natively - you just enter a few console commands to set it up - most brokers will give you a string of commands to simply copy and paste into the command prompt).

To the software you use, it will work exactly as if cox provided you ipv6 services, with one exception: latency. Because you are using a tunnel, your first hop latency will be a little bit higher (depending on the physical location of the other end of the tunnel) and you'll appear to be physically located elsewhere to outside hosts.

A neat side effect is that you have yet another IP address to troll websites with (e.g. wikipedia) and avoid IP bans without needing to reset your cable modem.

Just hit google for 'ipv6 tunnel broker' and you can find a bunch of them.

Thanks, but I know all about Tunnel services and 6to4/Teredo.
I'm sure that your post may help out those who may not though so good job

My question was more directed to the Cox employees however.
--
~~Chris~~

Need a pro computer tech? See my profile for my website - I offer remote support services!

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to chrisf8657
IPv6 DNS is already available right now and also the windows 7 does do support itself ipv6 tunneling installed part of network software. I've put the both ipv4 and ipv6 of google dns myself so i can have both ipv4 and ipv6 without worrying about regarding of cox in processing of ipv6 upgrade planning.