Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to elray

Re: Demand

If you can pay $70/month for 1Gpbs with no caps, you can cut the cord (be that FIOS TV, cable or U-Verse) and use the savings over a typical TV + HSI subscription to pay for some streaming services.

I'd drop $70/month on a 1 Gbps link with no limits and cut the cord in a heartbeat.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Those streaming services don't provide the same content that is available on pay-tv.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Who cares. I don't watch a lot of TV anyway and if I have to switch from time-filling crappy reality TV shows and old crappy movies, what's the difference?

elray

Santa Monica, CA

The public cares. If you can't obtain equivalent services via streaming, cord-cutting ain't gonna happen much.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Yeah, cord cutters aren't real and are of no concern:

»Dish Boss Ergen: Cord Cutters Very Real

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to elray

said by elray:

Those streaming services don't provide the same content that is available on pay-tv.

you'd be surprised what is legally available.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to rradina

Indeed. Cord-cutting simply isn't happening in any significant or measurable way.

Its the "cord nevers" (could you invent a more awkward term?), who may actually become relevant, as they grow and couple up and multiply and play house, and try their best to avoid buying double/triple-play.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to elray

My household is very happy with 30-some channels of free over-the-air broadcast TV, much of it in HD. Plus we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Crackle.

Total cost of video content is under $10/month, and we get way more than everything we want to watch. I don't count the cost of Amazon Prime because we've been using it (for free Amazon.com shipping) since long before they included free streaming-- and we'd continue our Prime membership even without streaming. Crackle is free.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to rradina

The majority of people in Canada would pay at least triple that. Many would pay ten times that.