uniqs
share rss forum feed

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Verizon: Cheapskates

The network will handle anything they want to throw at it, but they have no interest in having a product significantly better than what cable companies are offering.

Outside of upload speeds, they've sacrificed every advantage they had. The download speeds of Comcast and Cox have caught up. And very few people really value high upload speeds, and those have caught up too, at least at Comcast.

With the Quantum speed increases (and price increases), I don't know why they didn't keep upload symmetrical to download.

When it comes to TV offerings, they've maxed out their HD channels, and they're falling behind the other providers there too. Their only advantage left is premium movie channels, and that's really only against Comcast who seems to hate them.

FiOS increasingly looks like a flash in the pan, even starting with so much promise. Verizon's plan is little different than what Frontier is doing in the divested markets, keep things the same, increase prices, and get whatever cash you can from it instead of really marketing something better.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

2 edits

1 recommendation

Verizon FiOS is better than cable in a couple of ways
Lower pings, No peak time slowdowns and no data caps.
Those set it apart for me and keep me on FiOS

But I have to agree about the price increases, it's really killing demand for the service. Sadly I think their speed tiers are set to make the user notice a speed upgrade, not based on the capabilities of their network. They could be offering much more and killing the cable company's in places they already have FiOS.

I only subscribe to 15/5 because I live alone and I'm trying to save money but it does seem really absurd to limit a fiber connection as much as they do.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
No caps on TWC and Cablevision. That's only a problem with Comcast and Cox, and it's questionable whether Cox really enforces theirs.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
True enough, but I live in Comcast territory and I've had cablevision before, the comments about pings and peak slowdowns still apply.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Os
said by Os:

With the Quantum speed increases (and price increases), I don't know why they didn't keep upload symmetrical to download.

They don't want to bastardize their LUCRATIVE biz packages.
--
Despises any post with strings.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

Verizon FiOS is better than cable in a couple of ways
Lower pings, No peak time slowdowns and no data caps.
Those set it apart for me and keep me on FiOS

Ha! You're right about the data cap part but that's about it. Look at the half dozen or so threads about terrible latency and packet loss occurring nightly. FIOS is not that great in comparison to 2008.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by serge87:

Ha! You're right about the data cap part but that's about it. Look at the half dozen or so threads about terrible latency and packet loss occurring nightly. FIOS is not that great in comparison to 2008.

Under ideal conditions FiOS is definitely better than cable for latency. But both can run into issues depending on how the network is maintained. MSOs have tons of threads about high latency and packet loss with nodes that are not upgraded or haven't been split appropriately. Cable is not that great in comparison to 2013. Here is hoping for DOCSIS 3.1.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Os
Yep in my county they want to stick neck and neck with cable. I have been on BPON since 2005, and no interests to upgrade here. Comcast is sticking at 50Mbps so Verizon is trying to do the same, and only providing 75/35 if the customers have a 612 ONT that will handle the 35Mbps uploads.