Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

Just give me fast FIOS service!

Come on Verizon. Come to my home neighborhoods so I can get off TWC!!
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1

Re: Just give me fast FIOS!

Dont know why people are so po'd about this statement.
If the demand is there they'll provide it.
Makes sense from a business standpoint.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt

maybe because you don't understand that how they define demand is "however we want to"? Not by actual, real demand.

they agreed to not compete with comcast for example, so all the areas that demand better than comcast (as comcast sucks), are now not provided. Those are enormous markets with millions of potential customers, all who have LTE at the same time.

try not to be so ignorant.
pittpete1

pittpete1

try not to be so ignorant...
Your talking to me?
Who the hell needs a 1gbs connection?
People are still on >3mbps in the country.
If the demand is there in their footprint they said they would provide it.
You don't build a house, install all the upgrades and then say to the person who buys the house "well it's there if you want it"
I work for Verizon as a craftperson, so I think I know a little about this.
clos000
join:2012-12-31

clos000 to antdude

to antdude

Re: Just give me fast FIOS service!

Fat chance of that happening, Verizon/ATT basically made an agreement not to step on the turf of TWC/Comcast. Verizon/ATT gets their wireless regions and TWC+Comcast gets their wired regions.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

AnonPerson to pittpete1

to pittpete1

said by pittpete1:

I work for Verizon

Oh ok, now your statements make more sense. At first I thought you were just trolling by trying to raise arguments that make no sense.
said by pittpete1:

No they wont. You know it. I know it. To say otherwise is being willfully ignorant. If they (Verizon) were able to provide 1gb symmetrical connections to homes, they would attach a price tag so ungodly high that nobody would ever purchase it. Then they would simply say "Well, we offered it, and nobody wants it therefore there is no demand".

I could try to sell my Honda Civic for $7 million, and when nobody buys, it go around saying there is no demand for a Honda.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

2 recommendations

LightS to pittpete1

Premium Member

to pittpete1
People who have different needs than you need a 1gbps connection. Don't like it? Don't speak for others, speak for yourself. If you want to speak about "needs" go back to using dialup.

Verizon stopped their FiOS expansion, despite there being large amounts of demand, because the shareholders wanted to see a return on their shares.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to pittpete1

to pittpete1
working for verizon makes you defending verizon in this post even more questionable. By the way, I'm the Verizon CEO! Clearly, this must be just as factual of a statement and cannot be refuted. *crosses arms*

Yes, people are still on greater than 3 megabits per second. That's what we are in 2013. Yes, a few people are on less than 3 megabits per second in 2013. None of them are signed up with Verizon either, that's for damn sure. Just because people live rural doesn't mean they're stuck with ISDN speeds anymore - satellite is a lot faster than that. Your implied message is not only inaccurate, but a lie straight up. Satellite's problem is still speed and usage cap, but it's not dialup speeds anymore for those who can afford it.

go away ignorant troll.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to pittpete1

Premium Member

to pittpete1
said by pittpete1:

Dont know why people are so po'd about this statement.
Makes sense from a business standpoint.

Probably because the demand for expanding FIOS is well known and they are deliberately ignoring it. Their false statement amounts to salt in the wounds of people who they are already denying ANY FIOS to.

It is nothing but PR spin to further ignore customers.
pittpete1

pittpete1 to antdude

to antdude

Re: Just give me fast FIOS service!

So because you disagree with someone elses opinion you result to namecalling.
Real mature buddy.
Build the house first, then add the upgrades.
If you had a clue how the real world worked maybe you wouldnt be screaming "it's all about me"
No trolling here, I just find it amusing when I read all the BS being spouted by clueless characters with a keyboard and mouse.
You're a joke bud.
pittpete1

pittpete1 to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

CXM, you know as well as I do that this is just a delaying action by Verizon.
Wait a few years and you'll see when the demand for FIOS is even higher, they get the penetration rates higher, get their return on the initial investment.
Communities will be bending over backwards for FIOS.
While other companies keep bandaiding with older tech.
Once our union employees are whittled away to nothing(and its happenning) they will come in and bury cable and say BTW, thanks for keeping our customers warm for the last few years and also letting us package our wireless with you.
Sorry but we're done with you, don't let the door hit you in the @ss.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Delaying?? So they are giving up revenues as a ploy to increase demand for a service they don't offer? Sorry, that doesn't sound plausible. I would agree that they would be more inclined to continue the roll-out if they had people doing it for minimum wage (which would gain approval from Wall St) but they won't get that even if they do break the union (which I agree is a strong possibility).

Nope, they are ignoring the demand for FIOS primarily because they want to be a wireless-only company. They have agreements with the cable companies to discontinue the build-out in exchange for reciprocal sales and spectrum.

Their claim is meaningless... they could just as easily have said 'We have OC-48 service available if these people want 1 gig'. Sorry but several thousand $$ a month is a false option.