uniqs
share rss forum feed

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Patchogue, NY

Cannot send/receive emails with Thunderbird anymore

Last 4 or 5 days, I cannot send or receive Verizon.net emails using Thunderbird v17.0.2

It used to work fine for years.

I even tried Verizon's recent specified incoming & outgoing servers/ports.

Does someone have official parameters to set up verizon.net email using Thunderbird?

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
Buehler ....? Buehler ...... ?

ROP

join:2009-05-10
Yonkers, NY
reply to WalkGood
I was just about to post this. I received the new settings in an email, and they don't work in my Tbird either. I put back the old settings, and I can receive but not send out. Nor can I send out in Outlook Express, which I tried in case the problem was in Tbird.

I posted the problem on forums.mozillazine.org, but no solution has come up yet. I think the problem is at Vz, not in our programs. I'm waiting for more members to post this.
--
[b]Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F[/b]

ROP

Yonkers, NY
reply to WalkGood
error

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA
reply to WalkGood
It works for me (and never stopped working) using Thunderbird 17.0.3. My settings are:

POP: incoming.verizon.net, port 995
SMTP: outgoing.verizon.net, port 465

For both,

Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password
User Name: XXXXXXXX (my 8-character Verizon user name)

ROP

Yonkers, NY
Did you receive the email with new settings?

I tried both sets of settings in Outlook Express, and they don't work there either, so it's not Tbird.

andre2

Brookline, MA

1 edit
said by ROP:

Did you receive the email with new settings?

I tried both sets of settings in Outlook Express, and they don't work there either, so it's not Tbird.

I don't remember. I think I read about the change somewhere before it was mandatory, and changed the settings pre-emptively.

Edit: On 01/04/2012, I received the following email titled "Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account". But as I said, I probably made the changes earlier.

Dear Verizon Internet Customer,

At Verizon, we continue our efforts to enhance your online experience as well as ensure ongoing security for our Internet customers. As a result, Verizon Online has modified the way email is handled when sent or received through an email application other than MyVerizon.

If you only use MyVerizon to access your email account, no action is required and you may disregard this email. If you do, however, use other applications to access your Verizon email, such as Outlook Express®, you will need to modify your email settings to take advantage of enhanced security we now offer.

In order to make these modifications, please visit »verizon.com/emailsettings for information about the email settings you need to update. Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum at »forums.verizon.com/.

Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer and we encourage you to act now to ensure your email account has the proper settings on a going-forward basis.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

ROP

Yonkers, NY
New settings were sent out last week, and they don't work.

andre2

Brookline, MA
I haven't received any email concerning the settings since the one last year. The only difference between the current settings in »verizon.com/emailsettings and the ones I gave are pop vs. incoming and smtp vs. outgoing, but the IPs are the same. I changed my settings anyway to agree with the current recommendations (had to tell it to save my VZ username and password again) and it still works.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to WalkGood
Are you able to send and view email using the webmail interface? Can you try using another client (such as Outlook) to see if that works?

If no desktop client will connect, then they could have done something that hosed your mailbox...which only they can fix. If you can connect to the mailbox (and especially if Outlook works) then there is something wrong your Thunderbird client. Maybe uninstall/reinstall will fix that.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

ROP

Yonkers, NY
Webmail works fine, Outlook Express doesn't. So I am starting to think it's Vz, not me.

I'd like to see where the OP is now.
--
[b]Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F[/b]

ROP

Yonkers, NY

1 edit
reply to DC DSL
error

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
Have you tried the VZ message board on their site? It's worth a shot before calling the Script Monkeys.
Expand your moderator at work

ROP

Yonkers, NY

Re: Cannot send/receive emails with Thunderbird anymore

Speaking of buggy software...

They also changed the incoming port #.

Didn't know they had a forum, thanks.

ROP

Yonkers, NY
reply to WalkGood
Have you resolved your problem since posting?

ROP

Yonkers, NY

1 edit
reply to DC DSL
Thanks. I've found folks with the same problem on the Vz forum. Working it out there at:

www.forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Letter-from-Verizon-Services-re-change-in-POP3-server-settings/td-p/531353/highlight/false/page/3
--
Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
reply to ROP
No, been using the web browser to get email. Would rather use Thunderbird. No desire to get Outlook or Outlook Express.

I am also wondering if it is a hardware firewall issue? When I have time to futz with it I will take the firewall security level down to "nothing" and try again with Thunderbird.

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
reply to DC DSL
I'd have to learn how to backup my current saved emails in Thunderbird before uninstalling.

And yes, I can use the verizon webmail browser page to read email.

ROP

Yonkers, NY
reply to WalkGood
Just back up your entire TB profile folder, no need to do just email.

ROP

Yonkers, NY
reply to WalkGood
The Vz forum couldn't help, so I took the issue to the Mozillazine forum. Turns out my Verizon Westell router is blocking the 2 new ports, very clever since that's the modem Vz gives you. I switched my email settings back to the old ones till I have time to shut down the firewall on the router. It's wired, not wireless.
--
Self-built-- P4 3 GHZ/ 3 GB RAM /Win XP Pro SP3/Firefox and Thunderbird / VZ DSL w/Westell 6100F

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
What were the original settings? It's been so long I forget!!! Maybe that will work for me again?

Also, you'd think verizon would tell you what to change in the hardware firewall!!!! I have been meaning to lower my firewall temporarily to see if new changes work!

ROP

Yonkers, NY
That's Verizon. I stick with them only because they're cheaper than cable.

incoming.verizon.net on port 25.
Connection security : none
Authentication: none

outgoing.verizon.net
port 25
connection security: none
encrypted password

If you can turn off your hardware firewall, you can use the new ones.
--

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
said by ROP:

If you can turn off your hardware firewall, you can use the new ones.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a firewall, no?

I'll have to call Elbonia, um, Verizon tech support and find out how to let email pass through the new pop ports. On second thought I don't have two hours to waste being told to check if my router is plugged in!

ROP

Yonkers, NY
You could add onto Thunderbird thread where I posted and ask them how to let just those ports through. Those guys are mostly retired, sit all day answering queries, really know their stuff. I've been on that forum since I've had Mozilla, about 12 years. I'm "lovemyFoxy."
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ROP
said by ROP:

That's Verizon. I stick with them only because they're cheaper than cable.

incoming.verizon.net on port 25.
Connection security : none
Authentication: none

Did you mean port 110?
C:\util\dig>telnet incoming.verizon.net 25
Connecting To incoming.verizon.net...
Could not open connection to the host,
 on port 25: Connect failed

But the standard POP3 port is allowed:
C:\util\dig>telnet incoming.verizon.net 110
Connecting To incoming.verizon.net...
+OK Messaging Multiplexor (Oracle Communications
 Messaging Server 7.4-23.01 (built Aug 10 2011))
 <8ba9971fb729f32c62f588588d18f89b@vzmmp171165.mailsrvcs.net>
quit
+OK goodbye

Connection to host lost.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ROP
said by ROP:

The Vz forum couldn't help, so I took the issue to the Mozillazine forum. Turns out my Verizon Westell router is blocking the 2 new ports, very clever since that's the modem Vz gives you. I switched my email settings back to the old ones till I have time to shut down the firewall on the router. It's wired, not wireless.

Which model? It sounds like a "residential gateway". It may allow port forwarding.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ROP

Yonkers, NY

1 edit
Westell 6100 F. I'm switching to FIOS on Thursday, so I'm not fussing with it. I suspect their FIOS modem stinks too.
--

WalkGood
Checkin Out Your Desk
Premium
Patchogue, NY
I wish they would offer FiOS here. There are rumors of some dispute between local town govt and Verizon. I'd jump to get FiOS in a nano second.