All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to damonlab

to damonlab

Re: Why do they want my social security number?

I routinely refuse to provide my social security number to utility type companies and cable companies. They express surprise, I think because they usually steam roll people into providing it. But there is NO LEGAL basis for their asking for it and they cannot turn you down legally if you refuse to provide it.
Basically I do NOT want my SS# to be housed on multitudes of computers which get routinely hacked.
Companies usually then ask for a slightly larger initial deposit. But they can do all the credit reviews they need w/o a SS#.

In short your SS# is between YOU and the Government period. Nobody else has a legal right to insist on it being given to them.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

So I assume you never had a car loan ?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
Or just say you don't have a social security number. Then they'll want a driver's license/state ID card to provide service. Here in Massachusetts, they require you to provide a social security card (metal version not acceptable) and number to obtain a driver's license/state ID. If you don't have an SSN, you have to show an acceptable letter of denial from the Social Security Administration. They also check the SSN you provide against the computers at Social Security when you go to the DMV.

My driver's license number is a randomly assigned DMV number.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
And yes you can refuse to give your social security number and they are also legally ALLOWED to require a deposit for doing so. Which is what they do.
rody_44

rody_44 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Try getting a drivers license in the state of PA without a social security number. Not happening any longer. Not post 911, No social security number means no drivers license. Surprised all states are not like that since the homeland security act. Flagged my wife after 28 years of driving because we never changed her social over when we got married. What fun that was. As dar as the DMV is concerned no social means your a terrorist even if you are a 53 year old woman that paid taxes for 38 of them years