how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newSymp

join:2003-11-06

dsl 15Mbits or Cable 35Mbits

Hello Boys and Girls.

I have been doing research lately between dsl and cable. I am currently on a legacy line at 6Mbits internet.

So my choices are dsl 15 on electronicbox or 35 on start.ca

My question is, how reliable speed wise is cable in 2013 compared to DSL?

I know there is a big speed difference between the two packages and the cost per year on package alone is about 160$

But the question is, what is more reliable in "speed"

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
With a docsis 3 modem, cable is pretty reliable. However you should check with your most immediate neighbours who have cable if you can.

GirgleMirt

join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to newSymp
What speed do you get now? Max download? If you read a bit these forums you'll find tons of people with issues with dsl, Bell has this new Fibe, and many who have 'upgraded' to a 'faster' (and more expensive) plan have gotten slower speeds... I'm fed up with Bell and dsl and am switching to cable, fwiw...

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
reply to newSymp
my personal experience, when all is said and done, dsl

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to newSymp
said by newSymp:

Hello Boys and Girls.

I have been doing research lately between dsl and cable. I am currently on a legacy line at 6Mbits internet.

So my choices are dsl 15 on electronicbox or 35 on start.ca

My question is, how reliable speed wise is cable in 2013 compared to DSL?

I know there is a big speed difference between the two packages and the cost per year on package alone is about 160$

But the question is, what is more reliable in "speed"

newSymp

said by vincom:

]

really? I have been reading so much on the bell forums etc. and a lot of people complain of the amount of issues once they move to fibe.

my experience is great with the current dsl setup.... but a fast speed would be nice as more people in the house use the internet, online video etc etc, it is taking a toll ..

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Another factor would be the upload speed you get with those plans.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to newSymp
said by newSymp:

said by vincom:

]

really? I have been reading so much on the bell forums etc. and a lot of people complain of the amount of issues once they move to fibe.

my experience is great with the current dsl setup.... but a fast speed would be nice as more people in the house use the internet, online video etc etc, it is taking a toll ..

thats why i stated when all is said and done.
my dsl 6 is solid, for vibe, i read as much or more about cable probs than vibe/dsl, when i was on cable i had alot more issues(w/rogers as provider) than i ever had w/dsl(3rd party provider), when everythng is setup w/out probs, you cant beat imo the stabilty of dsl

newSymp

Oh yes, I totally understand..

DSL has been solid.. no disputing that. I am afraid to go to the 15Mbit with the current threads that I have been reading.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by newSymp:

Oh yes, I totally understand..

DSL has been solid.. no disputing that. I am afraid to go to the 15Mbit with the current threads that I have been reading.

i would test that out b4 i would try cable, if i could get more than 6megs i would, but its not here yet where i live, but cable will /is avaiable now that aggregate is on the way so i will probably make the switch to that when the caps get increased, well they better or i'll just stay w/my 6meg dsl unlimited, w/a tomato router my family of 5 can usually stream w/out too many issues

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to newSymp
15mbit adsl2+ runs on an ATM backend and Cable runs on a fiber backend. In theory at least, Cable is better suited for multiple users at once, assuming no congestion.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Cloneman:

15mbit adsl2+ runs on an ATM backend and Cable runs on a fiber backend. In theory at least, Cable is better suited for multiple users at once, assuming no congestion.

yup, ass-u-me, lets see how many users rogers will put on?

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to newSymp
said by newSymp:

... So my choices are dsl 15 on electronicbox or 35 on start.ca ...

Have you 'confirmed' you can get EBox's 15/1 FTTN? Does the Bell website say you can get FTTN service?

(BTW, that's with Free Dry Loop at EBox, if you don't have an active phone line.)

I've had many years of 5M/6M DSL, with little to no service interruptions in all that time, w 3 ISP's, on 2 phone lines. Granted, having good phone line quality seems to be key to that success.

But, 6M is also the top DSL speed I can get too, which is annoying.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to newSymp
I'd go with something unlimited personally. Either DSL or Cable, you can't go wrong with anything unlimited.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to newSymp
DSL is a total crapshoot. One almost never gets the advertised "up to" speeds, bad weather (or sunny weather) can degrade the lines, and Ma Bell loves to shuffle TPIA customers onto crap connections.

Cable is solid. The advertised speed is what one gets nearly all of the time, plus some for "speed boost" at the beginning of new connections. With channel bonding and a suitable modem, congestion is seldom, if ever, even noticeable.

I am so happy that Bell forced us off our DSL lines here three years ago. Otherwise I may never have discovered cable internet. No going back here!

Cheers

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Dsl is usually good More so if your in a larger City, as the newer hardware is there and lines are groomed, Also i find once dsl is installed and good i personally have never had issues, cable on the other hand issues beyond your wires happen all to often, if its not Congestion on the TPIAs links then its Local Node, etc.. and noone can do anything about it for months on end At least with DSL it either works for you or it doesn't
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

DSL is a total crapshoot. One almost never gets the advertised "up to" speeds, bad weather (or sunny weather) can degrade the lines, and Ma Bell loves to shuffle TPIA customers onto crap connections.

I personally have never had any problems with my 6/800 GAS DSL. Perfectly stable even during thunderstorms.

The main reason I will probably switch to cable next time I move is because 75GB 6M/800 costs $29/month while I can get 100GB 10/1.5 cable for $32/month. 10% more expensive for 100% more speed and 33% higher cap... or 30% cheaper than if I decided to go dry-DSL.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Invalid ebox has freedryloops on fttn, But based on the packages your quoting i am guessing your in quebec and prices seem a bit higher there.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

newSymp

reply to newSymp
I guess people will have mixed opinions.

I have two high schools, three public schools, and a big college all near my house.. I am not sure what connections or if that would be causing issues here.

When I had cable back in the day... it was 5-6MB i believe, but I always had congestion in my area.

I remember even when it would drop to 3-4 it would be horribly slow and you could notice that something has happened.

Decisions!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Invalid ebox has freedryloops on fttn

... if you can get FTTN.

sigh.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
reply to newSymp
What exactly is it that you need the speed for ? In many situations people get a faster connection for no good reason at all. I think usage has been the biggest issue for some time now. Again what exactly are you doing with your internet ?

MJB

join:2012-01-29
FTTH WINS... I HAVE DSL... BUT IN MY OPINION FTTH WINS....PERIOD

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

What exactly is it that you need the speed for ?

For most people, the main motivation for 12-20Mbps is 2-3 people streaming from Youtube, Netflix or similar at the same time. Beyond that, details usually become sketchy.

Personally, I schedule all my non-essential downloads during unlimited off-peak hours so I only need ~7Mbps to stream the occasional 1080p video.