spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captainwin

@cox.net

[LA] Cox being difficult yet again

Back in 2010, I purchased the Motorola SB6120 from Cox and upgraded to the premier internet service. The modem would drop connection every 30 minutes right on the dot. I had 7 different technicians from Cox evaluate the problem and none of them were able to resolve the issue. So, I canceled the service and went back to using my DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

A few years have passed, I'm hoping Cox has resolved the system issues, and I so want to give premier service another shot. I called Cox and had them register my DOCSIS 3.0 modem again, and asked them to push the latest firmware to my modem. The first tier tech support told me to call Motorola and ask them to do it. I asked to be forwarded to tier 2 tech support, and he came back on the line saying his supervisor said they don't push firmware to modems. I insisted I be forwarded to the next level of tech support, and so he sent on over. The next level of support told me they could push the firmware to my modem but it would cost me $100 and an additional $14.99 a month, and that they would need to remote into my desktop. Last time they pushed firmware to the modem, they were able to do it over the network. What gives?

Is there a way for me to get the latest firmware without having to pay Cox and egregious amount of money to click next a few times?

Azlen

join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ
I recently got a Motorola 6141 modem. The newest firmware was pushed to the modem a few hours after I hooked it up. I didn't even request it, it was just done.

Anonguy

@cox.net
You got transferred to Cox Tech Solutions.

Sounds like they were trying to upgrade your router firmware. That is the why they need desktop access..

Just leave the 6120 hooked up and it will get upgraded automatically overnight.

Front line employees don;t do upgrades due to doing it wrong "could" brick a modem.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to captainwin
register and pm your modem mac address to Coxtech1

thedunlap

join:2005-01-31
Gainesville, FL
reply to captainwin
Well, I dont think Cox is being difficult... unless you have a firmware that predates December 21, 2010. Cox never bothered to keep up with the 6120. In my experience, when you consider the modem in isolation from Cox plant issues that you have no control over, motorola got the 6120 right from almost the start.

Compare that to the DPC3010... which has always been an overly hot buggy mess. Too bad moxy's? dpc3010 fan model looks so atrocious.

captainwin

@cox.net
reply to Anonguy
Thanks. That's the kind of answer I'm looking for. I am surprised I had to explain the difference between modem firmware and router firmware to next level tech support staff... Are you guys looking for a job at Cox? You should both apply.

thedunlap

join:2005-01-31
Gainesville, FL
As an aside, I did look into firmware updates for the SB6120 about 6-12 months ago. That's how I was aware of the lack of progress=>no firmware updates available. (bout to buy one of those white SB6141...didn't think the color could sell me but meh I'm weak)

captainwin4

join:2011-02-15
Baton Rouge, LA

1 edit
reply to ajwees41
Weird... the site says I can't be a new or unknown member if I want to IM someone. This account is over 2 years old!

EDIT: Message went through after I made this post.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to captainwin
What firmware version does your 6120 have?

Motorola has released a new version every 2-3 months for almost 5 years now. Most ISPs are at least 6 months behind motos latest release so they can test before they release (ie 2-3 releases behind).
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to captainwin
the 6120 has been using the 1.0.5.1 for like the last 2 years

captainwin4

Baton Rouge, LA

1 edit
Firmware Build Time: Dec 21 2010 15:52:06

Yikes. Yesterday it was a build from May... so I guess this is as good as it's going to get.

EDIT: Read my IMs. CoxTech1 was kind enough to follow through on pushing the latest firmware out to my modem.

Unfeo

@mycingular.net
said by captainwin4:

Firmware Build Time: Dec 21 2010 15:52:06

Yikes. Yesterday it was a build from May... so I guess this is as good as it's going to get.

EDIT: Read my IMs. CoxTech1 was kind enough to follow through on pushing the latest firmware out to my modem.

And what firmware was pushed out?

captainwin4

Baton Rouge, LA
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
reply to captainwin
register and PM your modem MAC to me. I'll get you a newer version.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
There's a newer version than SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH?

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
said by BillRoland:

indeed

captainwin4

Baton Rouge, LA
I went out and bought the SB6121 today. Any idea what I should enter to access the modem page? I've tried 192.168.0.100, 100.1, 0.1, and a few other combinations.

kagatosama

join:2003-11-13
Henderson, NV
192.168.100.1 is the ip you need to log in to the modem.

captainwin4

Baton Rouge, LA
Ah, I get page cannot be displayed when I try to visit that address. I'll try rebooting everything I guess.

captainwin4

Baton Rouge, LA
Connecting the modem directly to the PC, the page comes up with 192.168.100.1. When the router is connected (EA6500), the page can't be displayed. Weird.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
I've seen this with some routers before including one I used to use. Since 192.168.100.1 is a private range IP some routers will not route to that subnet properly being it's connected via the WAN port. You may be able to configure a static route to the 192.168.100.0/24 network in the router to work around that in the future.

VentShop

join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to captainwin
Another solution is to change the ip address range that the router is giving out. Sometimes its as simbple as changing from a 192.168.X.X range to a 10.10.X.X range to allow you to connect to the Cable modem.

My guess on the original posting is that when you requested a level two tech you were transferred to the supervisors desk. They then told you you would have to pay a lot of money and a monthly fee as well as allow them access to your computer. Had you agreed they still would not have been able to do it because they probably did not have the tools or ability to do a firmware upgrade. It's basically a scare tactic to get you off the phone and out of their hair. . . and it worked.

Cox_tiff

join:2013-01-12
Chesapeake, VA
reply to captainwin
Captainwin, sounds like you were actually directed to our Cox Tech Solutions department. Our Cox Tech Solutions assist with non-supported issues, computer issues, router issues, etc… Cox Tech Solutions does charge a fee much like other computer repair companies. Firmware updates to the modem are automatically pushed out to your modem when an approved update is available. Cox goes through a testing process for any new updates that come out to make sure they will work on our system and make sure they are free of bugs. This is why you may not have the most up to date version available. If we do find that the firmware version you are using is not working for you, our tier 2 department can assist you with pushing a different approved version of firmware to your modem. I apologize for any confusion. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to odog
said by odog:

said by BillRoland:

indeed

Is there any list of fixes or enhancements to accompany this firmware update? I've been on 1.0.5.1 (SB6120) for quite a while now as well. Is Cox pushing the newer firmware in conjunction with market speed upgrades?