share rss forum feed

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

NAS Streaming to Android

I am able to stream to my tablet (nexus 7) via total commander and the lan plugin. Basically I can browse my network shares from most file explorers. They allow one to open the file download it to memory and play it but not stream it. Total commander adds the possibility of streaming. This is very nice BUT, it only works on one of my three NAS boxes.

It works on an old DLINK 323 but not on an old but slightly newer DLINK 320 nor on a newer readyNAS netgear. NOne of them are password protected. None of them require logins and are pretty much setup the same. What could be causing or blocking streaming on two of the NAS boxes. (I Use MX Player). Is it the type of protocol MX player may be using, or the way Total commander is accessing the nAS boxes? Since they dont change whats diff about the NAS boxes in response to the queries??
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

Try ES Explorer with MX Player, works like charm for me.
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···roid.pop
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···layer.ad

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Wowser, time to throw Total Commander out the window. ES explorer lan connection allowed me to stream on all NAS boxes.
How did you know.

And is there anything you dont know??

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Anav

I have a Synology NAS and those have apps you can download and stream seamlessly to your android device. As was pointed out though, the ES Explorer with MX Player works great as well. I just prefer the Synology solution.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Oh I get it, throw synology at me.
Well I do have another Zyxel NAS box and the Netgear one as well that both have streaming capabilities just not explored by me. I may have to look into though, if nothing else to remove the gloating.

switchman

join:1999-11-06

Sounds like it is time for you to move up to an Unraid box Anav.
»lime-technology.com/

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to Anav

ES works great. Another option is BSPlayer Free, which has a LAN mode that can stream from Windows/samba servers. As an added bonus, it's the only free app I've seen that can handle DTS sound.
--
db

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Thanks Clarkie, other apps had DTS but were removed due to license issues. I gravitated to MX explorer for two reasons......
It can take advantage of hardware processing and there is plugin floating around (CODEC) for DTS that works great. I will take a look at BS Player Thanks!!

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

My sentiments exactly

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

Yup contrary to the initials BS is the real thing, works great.