chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: I'm watching an NBC station right now

They are Also the cable provider in Dc expect for the small areas that have fios.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to cdru

to cdru
Shortly after the NBC buyout, the local Comcast system was forced by the Chicago O&O to remove the South Bend NBC affiliate (that had been carried on the system since it was first installed in the early 80's), even though the Chicago affiliate rarely if ever covers any of the news and politics of the area.

More info and some PDFs of what went down here:

»www.wndu.com/home/misc/C ··· 551.html

It wouldn't surprise me to see more shenanigans from them in the future. Not the exact situation you mentioned, but relevant.

EDIT: The South Bend CBS affiliate is still carried on the system along with the Chicago O&O.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to zed260

to zed260

What else needs to be said.

We The People's government no longer works.

The tyranny, and corruption is to pervasive and too all inclusive to be changed or challenged by anyone that is a part of the system.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to rradina

MVM

to rradina

Re: I'm watching an NBC station right now

Not to mention local affiliates are the ones that negotiate rates with Comcast for carriage, not the national NBC network. Exceptions to this are the 10 owned and operated stations NBC owns. If NBC flexed their muscles against a station in retaliation for negotiations between the station and Comcast, I would expect to see the fecal matter hit the impeller in Washington.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
said by rradina:

While it might be "funny money" floating around within the mother ship, if the NBC entity is considered a separate corporation with its own board, CFO and financials, I think they'll have to charge the Comcast cable LOB the same price as other carriers. In the wholesaling business, the FTC gets upset when the same product isn't offered to all at the same price. Granted, there can be contracts, volume discounts/kickbacks and other ways to game the system but in general, that kind of tactic is sniffed out by those paying higher prices and they complain loudly.

thats where lobbying comes in heres a few mill congressmen now hush hush and let us keep pillaging those poor consumers
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
While it might be "funny money" floating around within the mother ship, if the NBC entity is considered a separate corporation with its own board, CFO and financials, I think they'll have to charge the Comcast cable LOB the same price as other carriers. In the wholesaling business, the FTC gets upset when the same product isn't offered to all at the same price. Granted, there can be contracts, volume discounts/kickbacks and other ways to game the system but in general, that kind of tactic is sniffed out by those paying higher prices and they complain loudly.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'm watching an NBC station (WWLP-TV) right now on Comcast. I don't see any carriage disputes in the near future.

I'm sure NBC will require that it's affiliates sell Comcast retransmission rights at rock bottom prices. Now that Comcast owns the content, the profits will keep rolling in as Comcast does not need to pay NBC for carriage rights since they are now NBC.

Fortunately Comcast does not own every cable/broadband system in the country like AT&T and Bell System before 1984. State typically have a dominant cable provider like Massachusetts (Comcast with a touch of Charter), Maine (2 parts Time Warner to 1 part Comcast) and Iowa (predominantly Mediacom with a few overbuilders). Florida is predominantly Comcast.

I just found out that one of my friends from high school moved to Florida going from rural telecom cooperative territory to Comcast turf.