All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to lugnut

to lugnut

Re: portable power solution?

I would but besides most of my laptops having sealed batteries I need to charge a bunch of stuff and well to buy a bunch of second batteries for all my gear would be a lot more $$$ than something like the duracel product I wanted though is now discontinued

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

What do you mean your laptops have "sealed batteries?" Of course you don't buy individual cells and roll your own. They come with sealed battery packs that snap in and out of the laptop.

Unless you are talking about your laptop being sealed with no way to remove or exchange the battery? That's an arrangement I've never seen except for tablet computers. And tablet batteries are usually good for 8 to 12 hours.

Anyway, an aftermarket battery pack for the average laptop costs well under a hundred dollars these days and if you can afford that many 12 hour plane trips you can easily spare a hundred bucks for a spare battery pack.

Besides, how much gear do you travel with anyway? I could easily see maybe a smart phone, a laptop and possibly a digital camera. I suppose an MP3 player or and iPod as well.

Ask yourself if it's really necessary to haul that much crap along on a trip. And who the hell needs to charge a phone and a camera on an airplane flight?

One laptop, with a spare battery pack will keep you occupied and entertained for up to 16 hours straight on most modern laptops, as well as provide a USB charging current for your phone and mp3 player if necessary. And screw the camera. A spare camera battery is like $20 for most cameras.

So what else are you charging on these trans global flights that you require bringing along your own AC Generator?

Incidentally, since 911 there are TSA limits on how many extra batteries you can board a plane with in your carry ons these days.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

By sealed I meant the ones in my macbooks (you haven't been able to change the battery on ANY since 2009) also it's not mainly for plane rides I just used that as example, a big one is bus travel because often I do not have a plug for hours.
Oh and about gear, most of it is camera related stuff I need to charge on the go like flashes or dslr accessories and I find it a lot easier to be able to grab one device rather than make sure I have batteries for everything I need.