spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

a101

@spcsdns.net

Nmap Info?

Hi all I have just scanned my ip with nmap web tool on »nmap.online-domain-tools.com/ and these are the results! Please help me understand them!

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( »nmap.org ) at 2013-02-13 01:56 Central Europe Standard Time
Nmap scan report for MyIP.pools.spcsdns.net (MyIP)
Host is up.
All 5000 scanned ports on MyIP.pools.spcsdns.net (MyIP) are filtered
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 516.38 seconds
/
Does this mean that the software firewall is not doing its job?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
I'm not sure how you could get "not doing its job" from those results. In nmap terms, filtered means no response. Were you expecting to see something open? Or perhaps a proper "closed" response?

This response (or rather lack thereof) is also most likely from your router, not your software firewall, unless you are directly connected to a dumb bridge/modem.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to a101
If you intended to have a "stealth" configuration (meaning that it is not possible for an outsider to determine whether or not there is a network device at that address) then "it is not doing its job" because nmap was able to determine that there is indeed something at that address.

However all tested ports on that IP address were closed to outside access and that is the important part.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to a101
said by a101 :

All 5000 scanned ports on MyIP.pools.spcsdns.net (MyIP) are filtered

Try reading this for starters. As others have said, short answer is "your firewall is doing it's job."

Regards

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to a101
Actually if you are on spcsdns.net then you're on a Sprint cellular connection (4G, LTE, whatever they call it these days.) Chances are you don't even have a public IP address, your machine is assigned a private IP address from the network. The network performs NAT.

Further if you're connecting from a cell phone or MyFi type device (anything but an actual internal or USB aircard) that introduces a 2nd layer of NAT.

Not saying a firewall is absolutely not needed in this case, but chances are it's doing nothing. Turn it off and you'll probably get the same results. Not sure what security measures the cellular providers are using these days but I wouldn't rely on them as your only line of defense.
--
PRescott7-2097

a101

@spcsdns.net
reply to HELLFIRE
I see,Thanks guys!